Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:12:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Genghis' Inq28 [Cawdor trio added 13 Feb 24]  (Read 83519 times)

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Some Inq28/I-munda Figures [Grymn Mobsters & Xenos added 04 Jan 18]
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2018, 11:11:03 AM »
Firstly, thank-you for the compliments.

Most excellent brushwork, except that being the inveterate kitbasher that I am and utterly shameless about using proxies, I would have given the nice young lady on the left a bolt pistol in place of the primitive slugthrower... Hmmm... going to have to steal this...  :D

The lady on the left is only meant to adorn my monitor at work, so I was content with the revolver - had I wanted to include her in my sci-fi setting you're right - a weapon swap would have been on the cards (it's generally an easy win to put a figure into the setting).  The figure is from Lucid Eye if anyone is looking for her.

Now for the latest update (I've had a productive Christmas), a couple of Hasslefree Grymn & a Tin Man not-Thark.

Big Rob & Claire are both Grymn mobsters, part of Mikhail Askimov's crew - Since I originally posted him (at the foot of page 2), he's evolved from an honest(ish) trader into a mobster.  There're still a few more figures to do to finish his crew off, at which point, the daft combats some of them are wearing will make more sense. 

Sola is a new version of Lady Simone's Xenos compadre/bodyguard (top of page 1).  At the time I got the original, Tin Man Miniatures had briefly disappeared, so I made do with another not-Thark sculpt.  With Tin Man's shop being back up I got one of their High City Warriors, which I think is a much better sculpt.  She's still carrying her signature pink shotgun, now with a laser pointer - on the basis that her lower arms can't bring the weapon into the aim.  The laser pointer is set to a frequency visible to Tharks, but not un-augmented human vision.  (The shotgun & lower arms are Anvil Industry.)

And another angle of Claire, showing her face - she's a cracking sculpt & I'm rather pleased with how she came out.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 01:45:44 PM by Genghis »
Instagram: @genghis_toy_soldiers

2024 - Figures Acquired: 37  Figures Painted: 6
2023 - Figures Acquired: 99  Figures Painted: 100
2022 - Figures Acquired: 59  Figures Painted: 54
2021 - Figures Acquired: 56  Figures Painted: 60
2020 - Figures Acquired: 63  Figures Painted: 92

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Some Inq28/I-munda Figures [more Grymn mobsters added 29 Jan 18]
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2018, 02:40:13 PM »
Reinforcements for Mikhail Askimov’s burgeoning underworld enterprise.  L-R: Johno, Motherf***er Jones, Andrei Sweenikov & Barker.  Sweenikov is A Statuesque Miniatures Pulp Alley figure, with a bionic eye & hand, and an Anvil Industry shotgun.  The others are all Hasslefree, with the muzzles of their P90s being converted to classic GW-style las muzzles and Jones getting a new head (the original peaked hat didn’t seem very grimdark to me).

Sweenikov (aka the Sween-Dog/Sween-Sobaka) is Mikhail Askimov’s right hand man, the 2 have been thick as thieves (literally) since their youth and rose together to head up the local mob.  Sweenikov has picked up a few injuries along the way, necessitating a new eye and hand, and is armed with ‘Shannon’, his HK Signature Edition Negotiator pattern shotgun.  Because Askimov (see foot of page 2) is a less-combat oriented character (a former bare-knuckle boxer, he is tough & strong, but refuses to carry a weapon), unless in a more narrative-driven scenario he’d be a bit of a liability as leader (that said, Tiny - his Ogryn bodyguard - would go some way to minimising the liability).  Therefore, in a straight scrap, Sweenikov is likely to get rolled out as the leader.

Johno, Jones & Barker form the professional/merc element of Askimov’s crew, with previous military/police experience.  They are all armed with the mob’s signature P90 model lasguns; due to the original Brody figure (pink DPM, foot of page 2) & the Grymn Spec Ops figure I used for Johno having P90s, I made a virtue out of necessity and laser P90s became their ‘thing’.  (Jones’ nickname came about because the original Hasslefree figure is called Deano, & I know a Deano Jones who, thanks to the film Horrible Bosses has adopted the nom de guerre of Motherf***er Jones.)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 01:44:03 PM by Genghis »

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2018, 03:23:30 PM »
Motherf***er Jones

That's a reference right?  The source is escaping me at the moment, but I know I've heard that before.  Love the P90 conversions!

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2018, 06:51:40 PM »
That's a reference right?  The source is escaping me at the moment, but I know I've heard that before.  Love the P90 conversions!
It's Jamie Foxx's character in Horrible Bosses, which lead to my mate acquiring that nickname, in who's honour I've named the character.

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Some Inq28/I-munda Figures [Very fatal femmes added 15 Feb 18]
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2018, 05:27:30 PM »
(L-R) Jane, Jessica & Anna: all associated with diminutive mobster Mikhail Askimov. Anna's another mob enforcer, Jessica is the star singer at Askimov's club & Jane doesn't really have a back story yet. (She's more of a scenario-driven NPC for situations where the immediacy of laying down some suppressive fire trumps stopping to put some clothes on.)  Jane is Copplestone with a Mad Robot laspistol, Jessica is Statuesque with a Mad Robot Laspistol & Anna is Hasslefree.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 01:43:33 PM by Genghis »

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Some Inq28/I-munda Figures [Ladies with shotguns added 25 Feb 18]
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2018, 03:13:58 PM »
My latest figures: Two new versions of Bethan, bodyguard to my Rogue Trader, Lady Simone Grey (at the top of page 1), and a thus far nameless NPC for when circumstances call for armed civilians.

The NPC is Copplestone (from the same pack of Gun Molls that Jane came from) with a Statuesque head.

Bethan is Hasslefree’s Dakota, with one version armed with an old school Eldar Shuriken Catapult (and wasn’t that a fiddly conversion – having cut the shotgun away, I was then dealing with a separate left hand that I had to drill/file the bit of shotgun away to clear the grip so as to fit it to the shuri-cat, all the while making sure everything lined up). 

When scoping Lady Simone’s original crew, this figure was out of stock, so I opted for one of the Statuesque resistance fighters, which is a good figure, but for reasons I couldn’t pin down, never quite sat right with me in this context.  Having crossed the Rubicon of re-doing characters with a new figure for Sola (the 4-armed xenos at the top of this page), I figured I’d revisit Bethan with the figure I originally wanted.  On the basis that the more heavily armed/armoured version of Lady Simone has a shuri-pistol I figured she’d be able to get a shuri-cat for her principle bodyguard.  (I plan to follow this theme further by adding one or two Eldar to her crew at some point.)

Having updated Bethan, I’m now considering updating her sister, Erin (Lady Simone’s sniper) with an option for a carbine for those CQB situations where a sniper rifle is too unwieldy.  The female merc from the Fate of the Eidolon Kickstarter should fit the bill, with the rifle positioning making it easy enough to swap out/convert to a lascarbine & sniper rifle: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1036171223/fate-of-the-eidolon-a-32mm-sci-fi-miniature-range
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 01:42:01 PM by Genghis »

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2018, 03:50:34 PM »
How did I miss this gem of a thread?  I love what you're doing here. Ace!
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2018, 09:17:46 PM »
Excellent.

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Some Inq28/I-munda Figures [Misc figures added 02 Apr 18]
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2018, 04:13:03 PM »
Some more figures: Mad Arthur the mob enforcer, a gribbly xenos beastie & Alfie the Kroot Hound.

In retrospect, I've done the genestealer's carapace a little too purple, but I'll live with it.  It's only ever meant to be a singleton for when I need a single, very dangerous xenos beastie.

Alfie the Kroot Hound belongs to Johno (the Grymn merc working for the mob, near the top of page 4).  Mostly because Johno's real life namesake had a lovely Golden Retriever called Alfie, so I wanted miniature Johno to also have a (space) dog.  Of sorts.

Arthur Scargill followed his father into the asteroid mining trade; coming from one of the poorer regions of the planet, and with little in the way of education, there were few other choices open to him.  It was dirty, dangerous work, but at least it was honest.  Unfortunately, he was to lose both his arms in a mining accident.  The Jupiter Mining Corp (JMC) covered his immediate medical expenses and paid for replacement bionic limbs (admittedly, one of which was a mining drill), however, the company’s altruism only extended so far…  The cost of the bionics was deducted from his future pay, effectively making him an indentured labourer.  To add to Arthur’s misfortune, he became addicted to the space morphine he was prescribed during his recovery and became angry and somewhat unstable.  Whilst JMC recognised Arthur’s unsuitability in the asteroid mining business, they were loath to lose their investment in him.  Fortunately an elegant solution to their little pickle was presented in the form of diminutive space mob boss, Mikhail Askimov who agreed to buy out Arthur’s contract.  Now ‘Mad’ Arthur works as one of Askimov’s mob enforcers where his ‘delicate’ temperament, bionic strength and proclivity towards extreme violence make him a somewhat persuasive figure to have in the background whenever the mob needs to have a little chat with anyone.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 01:39:59 PM by Genghis »

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2018, 05:23:04 PM »
Love them and the backstory cracking good stuff sir!
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
It's been a while, but here're my latest efforts, L-R: Sqn-Maj Nicholson DSC* (Hasslefree), ex-military pilot for hire (& her faithful hound, Toby), an as yet un-named Astropath (GW) and Nescio Ubi Sim the Navigator (Trolls Under the Bridge, with a new head on his staff).

*Distinguised Space Cross

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 01:38:49 PM by Genghis »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2018, 07:58:34 AM »
Nice work.
Some lovely painting on some very characterful figures.
 :-* :-*

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2018, 03:48:50 PM »
Thank-you.

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Some Inq28/I-munda Figures [Space Truck added 26 Jul 18]
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2018, 09:35:52 PM »
Wow, it's been a while since I finished anything sci-fi...  However, with Bring Out Your Lead looming, my plucky Space Mobsters needed a set of wheels to get around the expanse of Helsreach, so I had to pull my finger out and get something built and painted.

I think the HLBS Alvis Stalwart cuts the mustard as a generic space truck, suitable for a variety of tabletop roles ranging from static scenery to take cover behind, via a supply truck laden with objectives, to a sweet ride for the Space Mobsters to cruise around in, getting up to no good amongst the mean streets of Helsreach.

Space Mob Boss Mikhail Askimov checks the contraband manifest, whilst a brace of mercs keep watch.

I just threw some stores in the back for the photo, nothing is glued down in the back to permit gaming flexibility.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 01:37:23 PM by Genghis »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Some Inq28/I-munda Figures [Space Truck added 26 Jul 18]
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2018, 09:39:58 PM »
Very effective.
I love how you have done the windows.
 :-* :-*