Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:21:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Genghis' Inq28 [Daughter Superior Virginia added 20 Apr 24]  (Read 85712 times)

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Blackstone Beastmen added 11 Jun 19]
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2019, 07:14:06 PM »
Thanks

How are you liking Blackstone Fortress so far?  Planning on picking up the new set that's coming out?

It's good fun for a once-a-month game at the club to scratch that itch for something a bit different.  I'll be getting the expansions in due course - they have some rather lovely figures.
Instagram: @genghis_toy_soldiers

2024 - Figures Acquired: 50  Figures Painted: 10
2023 - Figures Acquired: 99  Figures Painted: 100
2022 - Figures Acquired: 59  Figures Painted: 54
2021 - Figures Acquired: 56  Figures Painted: 60
2020 - Figures Acquired: 63  Figures Painted: 92

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Blackstone Beastmen added 11 Jun 19]
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2019, 11:19:36 PM »
Thanks

It's good fun for a once-a-month game at the club to scratch that itch for something a bit different.  I'll be getting the expansions in due course - they have some rather lovely figures.

That's been my draw to it as well.  These are the kind of quirky, personality-filled figs that I still associate with 40K despite it being decades since "Rogue Trader" was properly appended to the name.  Wish they'd been around when I was playing the FFG roleplaying games a few years back, they would have been very handy for NPCs.

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [More PDF Goons added 08 Jul 19]
« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2019, 07:31:35 PM »
As promised, here are some reinforcements for my faceless, nameless PDF Goons, loaded out to operform double duty as traitor (renegade?) Guardsmen in Blackstone Fortress (with the grenade launcher proxying as the second flamer).

The figures are GW Cadians with Anvil heads, axes, grenade launcher and some arms (with the seperate shoulder pads from the Cadian tank commander to make the Anvil arms look the part).  I could have just used the stock Cadian grenade launcher, but I like the more conventional grip on the Anvil one.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2019, 01:02:20 AM »
The axes from Anvil as well?
Really like the final product.  Very A O K.

Grimm

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2019, 04:23:13 AM »
Excellent conversions, the components look like they work together really well.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 11:57:13 PM by Dr Mathias »
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2019, 07:43:05 PM »
Thank-you.

The axes from Anvil as well?

Yup, Anvil axes.

Excellent conversions, the components look like the work together really well.

They fit pretty well.  The heads are a bit fiddly - I have to both drill out the neck hole in the torso, and trim down the neck on the head.  The arms go on nice and easy, and the wrist/hand swaps need a little bit of the GW wrist drilling out to make a slight indent for the Anvil hand to snuggly fit.

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [BSF Black Legionnaires & a Gyrinx added 07 Oct 19]
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2019, 01:00:28 PM »
Slowly working through the Blackstone Fortress baddies, I’ve now finished the two Black Legionnaires.  Inspired by Agis’ conversion with a Mk II helmet and backpacks, I’ve shamelessly stolen the idea.  (I’ve not painted Obsidius Mallex yet as I’ve got my eye on a new Hasslefree sculpt to use as a substitute once he gets released.)

I’ve also hastily painted up Babou the Gyrinx (one of the Colony 87 critters) as my Necromunda campaign has thrown up a free Gryinx for my gang, so I needed a suitable miniature.  In the first game where he appeared (using a proxy), I rolled the weapons jinx psychic power and he ran around causing havoc with the opposition’s sentry guns – to the extent that he is now known as “that bastard cat”.

Next in the queue are the Blackstone Fortress rogue psykers and a “Chaos Planetary Noble” whom I need for a narrative Kill Team campaign my club is currently playing.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 04:21:19 PM by Genghis »

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [BSF Rogue Psykers added 23 Oct 19]
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2019, 02:35:26 PM »
Here are my Blackstone Fortress Rogue Psykers (which between my gaming group that’s been slowly working through the campaign means that we’re actually going to have a fully painted set of baddies in time for the last vault).  I’m pleasantly surprised with how well they came out, I think it’s the addition of veins on their heads that really makes them pop, although I really struggled to get them to come out in a photo.  At some point I really ought to get around to painting the heroes – but that’s probably a job for next year…

« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 04:20:17 PM by Genghis »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2019, 08:03:04 PM »
Nice work, especially on their veiny, bobbly heads.
 8) 8)

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2019, 08:14:16 PM »
Very nice
I love the psykers.
And the cat is just mean beast - his intentions are plainly evil  lol

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2019, 10:43:31 PM »
It is entirely impossible for me to look at that cat and not see Smarf from the epic "Too Many Cooks" hilarity.

For fans of 80's-90's TV shows, if you haven't seen this...bizarro world video, it may be worth a watch:

2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2019, 11:09:51 PM »
Thank-you. 

I'm not familiar with Too Many Cooks, the colour was based off the old fluff of Gyrinx colours, although with the latest plastic one GW seem to have retconned that bit of fluff (which does mean I can paint that one like the Space Ocelots from Archer 1999). 

He has come out looking rather malevolent, possibly even the full on fox-eared asshole of his namesake.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2019, 11:53:41 AM »
That gyrinx does look like a piece of work!

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Possibly Chaos-worshipping lady added 01 Nov 19]
« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2019, 04:17:42 PM »

Bathsheba is a young lady with several identities… My initial intent when I got the figure was that she’d be a mercenary in my loose “scum & villainy” collection of mercs, bounty hunters, guns for hire and ne'er-do-wells (the sort of people that make my space mobsters look like fine upstanding citizens).  I haven’t painted any of the others yet, so the idea is still a bit loose, but I figure they can either band together, or act as onesies and twosies supporting other characters and warbands in my Inq28 setting.  In this guise, there is nothing overtly tainted about Bathsheba, but her weapon is most unusual and she has a reputation for scandalous hedonism that’s a bit too niche even for her scummy and villainous acquaintances.  Is she actually a one-woman cult dedicated to the god of pleasure and bearing a daemonically-possessed weapon, or just a confident young woman who really likes to party that has got her grubby little mitts on an exotic xenos weapon…?

The reason why she got escalated to the top of the painting queue was that I ended up rolling a Khornate human noble with an exotic/legendary assault* weapon to support my Eldar kill team in my club’s Kill Team narrative campaign.  (This was the same night I also rolled an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor to support the same Eldar – thankfully the Inquisitor is radical, but the Exarch’s going to have a headache keeping his two monkeigh allies from ever finding out about each other.)  Knowing that this rather niche character was only ever going to be used a handful of times (if I was going to make a proper human disciple of the blood god, they’d have dirty great melee weapons, not a 2-handed gun), I rifled through the lead pile for something close enough that would have wider utility.  For the purposes of the Kill Team campaign, we’ll gloss over the fact that she’s wearing pinky-purpley clothes rather than a nice deep red; she has at least got a suitably exotic assault weapon, and is clearly a baddie.

Her final guise is a lady’s maid to the mistress of a fallen noble house of Necromunda, and a significantly more overt disciple of the god of pleasure.  I’m using my PDF Goons (see earlier in this thread) as fallen house militia in my club’s Necromunda campaign.  I’d initially kept the background to exactly why my house was fallen a little vague (I was being lazy).  However, the last game I played I won a territory that gives me a free xenos weapon, and the Neural Flayer looked both interesting/fun to play and a lot like the weapon my (prepped, but as yet as yet unpainted) ‘Khornate’ noble was toting.  This happy timing made my mind up as to her colour scheme and, as one of the other players remarked, pretty much singlehandedly wrote the backstory to my fallen house.

So there we go, a happy coincidence of campaign requirements, the perfect figure already in the lead pile and just enough time to paint her before battle calls.  Next up are a variety of Christmas present figures, some of which are sci-fi enough to feature here when done (probably not the badger druid though, he’ll go on the fantasy board).

*”Assault” in 40K terms, ie a close range gun rather than an assault/melee weapon.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 04:19:34 PM by Genghis »

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2019, 08:45:48 PM »
It is entirely impossible for me to look at that cat and not see Smarf from the epic "Too Many Cooks"

For fans of 80's-90's TV shows, if you haven't seen this...bizarro world video, it may be worth a watch:

Wtf. Lars Von Trier as pie!