Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:24:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Genghis' Inq28 [Cawdor trio added 13 Feb 24]  (Read 83516 times)

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Jokaero, Cultist Psyker and Civilian added 24 Jan 21]
« Reply #180 on: January 25, 2021, 02:21:15 AM »
Loving these: they're all excellent in their own way. The jokaero is such a fun figure. The longshoreman looks great and will be good for all sorts of scenes. I really like the chaos psyker conversion too: simple idea, but very effective. I'll have to look for a figure to stick one of my psyker heads onto.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #181 on: January 25, 2021, 12:30:01 PM »
Lovely new additions.
 :-*

Now I feel the need for more simians...
 ;)

I share your feelings regarding HUGE Ogryns, but sometimes needs must and he looks great and fits in well.
 :)

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #182 on: January 28, 2021, 07:02:37 PM »
Thank-you.
Instagram: @genghis_toy_soldiers

2024 - Figures Acquired: 37  Figures Painted: 6
2023 - Figures Acquired: 99  Figures Painted: 100
2022 - Figures Acquired: 59  Figures Painted: 54
2021 - Figures Acquired: 56  Figures Painted: 60
2020 - Figures Acquired: 63  Figures Painted: 92

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Rogue Trader and Eldar Outcast added 08 Feb 21]
« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2021, 04:40:14 PM »
I've finished another couple of figures:

On the right is a new version of Lady Simone Grey, the Rogue Trader that started my embrace of Inq28 about five years ago.  When I saw the Artel W Rogue Skipper, I knew she was cool enough to justify redoing Lady Simone.  I had to put a Shuriken Pistol in the holster, which required a little bit of greenstuff to widen it enough to look like it would accept the barrel.  I also swapped the sword blade for a chainsword blade, which is a carefully thinned down old-school plastic Eldar chainsword.  This is the first Artel W figure I've painted, whilst quite a delicate model, the detail is lovely and a joy to paint - I think I've done it justice.

On the left is Linnéa Vikström, Eldar Outcast from Ulthwé Craftworld, who has joined Simone's retinue (and sourced the Eldar weapons that Simone and her bodyguard, Bethan - halfway down p4 of this thread, have).  Linnéa maintains her loyalties to Ulthwé, and also has close ties to another group of Outcasts and a Corsair crew that I will be adding to my collection in due course (the Outcasts fairly soon, the Corsairs not so much).  Travelling with a Rogue Trader allows Linnéa to gather Intelligence and feed it back to her Craftworld, and her advice to Simone can steer her in directions advantageous to Ulthwé (she's mostly - but not always - transparent about this). 

The figure is Hasselfree's Liralith, with the spider carefully cut away from her shoulder and greenstuff hair sculpted over to cover up the mess I made doing so.  It's no master sculptor's work by any means, but is just about adequate - especially at tabletop distance.  I carefully cut her right hand away from her leg and added the shuriken pistol which, along with the spirit stone on her chest, firmly cements her as Craftworld Eldar.  Finding a suitably sized hand to grip the pistol required a bit of a search, but in the end a spare hand from an Artel W Space Cop did the job.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Rogue Trader and Eldar Outcast added 08 Feb 21]
« Reply #184 on: February 19, 2021, 10:49:13 AM »
Love the purple on that last mini!

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Bedraggled Captives added 27 Feb 21]
« Reply #185 on: February 27, 2021, 08:48:22 PM »
Love the purple on that last mini!
Thank-you.

My latest figures are a set of Ramshackle's Bedraggled Captives.  I've given them a relatively quick and dirty paint job, but it'll suffice for the objectives/set dressing these unfortunate chaps and chapesses are destined to be.  (They got shunted up the painting queue in order to quickly get the numbers up after I brought a few figures in New Year sales and my figures brought vs figures painted ratio was a bit in the red.)

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Black Legionnaires added 07 Mar 21]
« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2021, 03:10:42 PM »
I've finished another pair of Black Legionnaires, partly for when we roll up more than 2 when playing Blackstone Fortress, and partly to give me a small force for wider skirmish gaming (using hero stats so that they are suitably tough to reflect the fluff a little more).  I got 4 chaos marines off a friend and swapped out the helmets and backpacks for Mk III ones to match my original pair, which were inspired by Agis' work; I like the subtle change it gives them, and tones down the excessive amount of spikiness that I'm not mad keen on.  Picking out all the metal trim is a right pain in the proverbials (but worth the effort for the small number I have), hence doing the four in two pairs.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2021, 11:08:27 PM »
Nice work: that's a great colour scheme. The skin tone is especially good.

Offline Timotl

• Scientist
« Reply #188 on: March 08, 2021, 03:06:56 AM »
Really cool thread. Those Black Legionnaires look GREAT!

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #189 on: March 09, 2021, 06:57:08 PM »
Thank-you.

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Here's the second extra pair of 'regular' Black Legionnaires finished. Next up is a brace of Greater Possessed (for the mission from the 2019 Blackstone Fortress Annual) all the intricate trim of the regular dudes, but with added mutations to paint - these guys might take a while to get done.

I've also finally got round to finishing off my photo backdrop by adding some posters and light staining.  I started planning this a couple of years ago and picked up a terrain tile from Uncertain Scenery at Salute in 2019 that had conversion potential.  In the end I got carried away with plasticard and surface texture - it was a lot more conversion than originally anticipated.  In the intervening two years, some better options for the basic structure have been released (Uncertain have a nice 2-level set with gantry walkways, and there's the Necromunda plastic terrain), but it does the job.  In hindsight, I wish I hadn't added the railings - they look cool, but get in the way of taking photos of any figures up on the gallery; plus the stairs get a little in the way.  Overall I'm happy with it though, it makes for much better photos of my figures than the plain blue backdrop I was using.

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Playing with Photo Backdrop added 29 Mar 21]
« Reply #191 on: March 29, 2021, 06:29:19 PM »
Needing to take some photos for an article about my armed rabble (see p11) I'm writing for the International Plastic Modellers' Society magazine, I had a play with my rabble and my now finished photo backdrop.  I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out.

Offline Seditiosus

• Bookworm
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Playing with Photo Backdrop added 29 Mar 21]
« Reply #192 on: March 30, 2021, 08:50:05 PM »
looks fantastic. well worth the years or work! ;)

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Eldar Ranger added 02 Apr 21]
« Reply #193 on: April 02, 2021, 01:43:57 PM »
Thank-you.

I was briefly distracted from the Greater Possessed I'm currently working on (so much detail to paint on those little tinkers) by rushing through an Eldar ranger.  This came about having realised with a week to go that my modelling club's online theme competition this month is "Scouts" and that I could just about paint one of the Artel W not-rangers I had already built and undercoated.

This is Simuna Häyhä, part of a unit of Rangers from Ulthwé Craftworld (as are/will be all the other Eldar in my Inq28 setting).  I got the Artel W not-rangers initially thinking I'd do one as an Amallyn Shadowguide substitute for Blackstone Fortress and that I'd sell the rest (on the basis that five Eldar snipers is not the most fun unit to run in a relatively low-powered Inq28 setting).  However, a bit of thinking, some rooting around in my bits box and subsequent fiddling led to three of the unit having alternative weapons that would make for a unit I could reasonably use.  Full details will follow when I have painted them, but for now, the assembled photo is below.

It's been a funny old process getting to this colour scheme. My initial thinking was that I wanted urban camouflage (possibly even with cameleoline active camo effects) rather than greeny-brown traditional ranger colours.  However, without quite meaning to, I seem to have ended up with a greeny-brown end result, which works and I'm quite happy with.  I abandoned the cameleoline idea in the end on the basis that the trenchcoats didn't cover enough of the figure for it to make sense that that would be cameleoline and not the other bits of clothing armour that are clearly visible.

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Eldar Ranger added 02 Apr 21]
« Reply #194 on: April 03, 2021, 08:31:46 AM »
 :o wow!!!! fab!!!