Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:39:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: DUNSTERFORCE AT BAKU  (Read 6891 times)

Offline Mustasha Pasha

• Assistant
DUNSTERFORCE AT BAKU
« on: January 21, 2009, 09:08:13 PM »
Sir,

Please allow me to introduce myself more fully and then I’ll acquaint you of the general situation here in Baku. I am Major–general Lionel Dunsterville. You may know me better by my old school nickname Stalky, an epithet given to me by my chum Rudyard Kipling and used in one of his books. Presently I am Officer Commanding His Majesty’s Forces in North Persia and the Trans-Caspia, a formation which for convenience of nomenclature goes by the name of Dunsterforce.

Baku - British position in the oilfield

I set out from Baghdad in January with a small force in Ford cars and was able to make it over snow filled mountain passes through to Enzeli on the Southern shore of the Caspian. Although nominally Persian, the Russian concession there was in the hands of the revolutionaries, who were not in the least interested in our help and indeed even threatened to throw me into gaol!

So by force of these circumstances I was required to spend the next few months in the mountainous country of North Persia. During this period my force began to build up as regular troops and some armoured cars were sent up from Baghdad. About this time I made an alliance with a local Russian Cossack leader by the name of Bicherakov. Splendid chap! With his help were able to re-open the road to Enzeli despite the opposition of the local Jangli warlord Kuchak Khan whom we ousted from his position by coup de main.

I was thus able to open communications with Baku and perhaps I should now explain the situation there. My original orders had been to secure the railway line from Baku to Batumi on the Black Sea. Following collapse of the Tsarist Empire there was every possibility that the Turks, or even the Bosche would attempt to control this region. Baku is a fine city on the Western shore of the Caspian. Its main industry is the extraction of crude oil and the countryside around the city is thickly forested with the drilling derricks which are the outward manifestation of this trade.  The population is a mix of Armenians and Tartars but until last year was part of the Russian empire; then a revolutionary committee was set up to support the Bolshevik cause.

Turks approach from the salt lake under observation by British aircraft

It is with great regret that I must report that by the time I was ready to embark for Baku, the Turks under their commander Mursal Pasha had invested that city and it was already under steady bombardment.  The situation is now critical; I have under a thousand regular troops, all good men from Midland battalions, and a few colonials. I have some armoured cars, two aeroplanes and some ships in the harbour. I shall not hesitate to use these vessels if the situation becomes intolerable and I need to evacuate my fellows.

Russians send out their armoured train

And become intolerable it will. There is no clear defensive strategy for the city. Administration is in the hands of the soi disant “Committee of Five Dictators”, a Centro-Caspian faction who have recently overthrown the local Bolshevik command. The Dictators are beardless youths, the enthusiasm of whom in no way compensates for their lack of intelligence or experience. Apart from my own men the rest of the Army of Baku consists of Armenians and Russians and I despair to recount that every battalion is in the hands of a committee who must first ratify any orders given to it by its commanding officer. As a result no planned manoeuvre ever takes place as intended.  Troops vacate perfectly secure defensive positions for no reason allowing the Turk to inhabit them without loss.

Turks attack the Armenian held village
Last night we captured an Arab officer in Turkish service. He confides that an attack will commence at first light today, the fourteenth of September 1918. The weight of this attack will fall on my men, Warwicks and North Staffs. We hold a good defensive position at the Mud Volcano but I have nothing on my left flank. To my rear I have reserves and an Armenian battalion holds the nearby village but whether they will give me any support or decide to have a Women’s Institute meeting instead, remains to be seen.

I remain your obedient Servant,

Dunsterville, L.C., Officer Commanding H.M. Forces N. Persia and Transcaspia.

Dunsterville advances an armoured car in support of his own well dug in troops

Footnote: The above recently discovered letter explains how the British Army came to fight a battle on the shores of the Caspian Sea in 1918. As Dunsterville feared, the attack commenced at first light, and although his troops put up fierce resistance, the Turks eventually outflanked his position. The Armenians refused to fight and when the Russians sent out an armoured train it was forced back by Turkish artillery fire. He withdrew his men to a defensive line in the oil field amongst the derricks. This position held a little while longer, but in order to preserve his small force he had no option eventually but to retreat further.

Later the Armenians fled the strategic defensive position of Wolf’s gap allowing the Turks to occupy it almost without loss; this put the entire city at risk. Mindful of the fact that he was a long way from home and could not hold out indefinitely against a Turkish force perhaps twenty times his own strength, Dunsterville informed the Dictators of his intent to quit Baku. His men withdrew to the jetties where their transports were waiting. Dunsterforce had sustained more than 200 casualties, 20% of its strength. Two months later, under the terms of the Armistice, a British force occupied Baku, sailing into the port in the same ships that had evacuated Dunsterforce.

Turks close in on the Armenians
"Guns, lots of guns!"

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Re: DUNSTERFORCE AT BAKU
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 09:34:13 PM »
Great post. I so envy anybody who gets to play with their toys.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 12:22:11 PM »
Blimey - that's just wonderful, I say!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 12:23:12 PM »
Excellent write-up :D

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 01:35:27 PM »
Smashing! This is just the thing, what?

Do you have any figures for your Colonials? As I recall there were Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians in Dunsterforce, too (is that right?). Some of those new headswappy Gripping Beast/Woodbine figures might be good for those.

The Digger History site has some pages on Dunsterforce, including it would appear, the entire text of a book on the subject, plus a bunch of pictures, including this rather funny one of an Australian Light Horseman trying to drill some local levies...

I think he's got his work cut out. Puts me in mind of the drill scene from The Man Who Would Be King.  :)

Anyway, here's the link...
http://www.firstaif.info/stalky/0-stalky-index.htm

Really great to see somebody doing this type of thing. More, please!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 01:39:06 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Saya

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 03:39:59 PM »
Very good gaming table, and excellent style of writing. Congratulations  8)

Offline chicklewis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 04:47:51 PM »
Great writeup, I particularly enjoyed:

"To my rear I have reserves and an Armenian battalion holds the nearby village but whether they will give me any support or decide to have a Women’s Institute meeting instead, remains to be seen."

Nice looking table and toys, also.

Chick
"Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof."

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 04:54:53 PM »
Very nice report!

Rudi
do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 09:13:40 AM »
I had the honour of commanding Dunsterforce on the day.

The Armenians fought almost to the last man and held things up for the advancing Turks for far far longer than expected.  In the end  the remaining two jumped over the wall at the rear of the village and escaped.

Once the Turks had the village they were able to advance on the British held trenches and despite the weight of accurate fire were in danger of  closing with the bayonet having reached the paltry wire defences Dunsterville had been able to string across them.

A charge by the Cossack cavalry and the Rolls failed to drive them back and both these units retired to the gun line at the derricks. Would the British be able to disengage safely was the question as we approached mid afternoon.....

As is the way with demo games the convention intervened - Prize giving and raffles were drawn and by the time we could turn back to the game it was time to pack up.

However despite some trials and tribulations in planning and painting (last minute business trips and international football matches conspiring to trip us up!) the game went according to a plan and was a fairly close representation of how things actually went - even if our battle was condensed and squeezed.

Thanks to everyone from AWC who supported John and myself - esp Carlos and Eric.

Thanks to everyone here for your comments on figures and terrain - this site played no small part in inspiring my efforts - it was my first attempt at terrain boards and buildings for a display game and I'm looking forward to doing the same for our SCW game this year.

Cheers!

Offline postal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 11:52:49 AM »
thats awsome

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 02:00:18 PM »
Great write-up.  I really enjoyed reading it.  Looks like it was a fun game as well.  I look forward to reading more!

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 07:30:51 AM »
Nicely done.

What is the model you used for the Rolls Royce armored car?  Metal or Resin?
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 12:07:35 PM »
Its the Matchbox die cast version. It was given to me by a good friend, however you can find them on ebay.

The other vehicles we used were also from the match box days gone by range, picked up at a local junk shop - the over cringed visibly when I told him I was going to paint them - apparently they are collectable  - Ha! lol

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 06:06:39 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I too have one of the matchbox ones but I have not had the guts to paint it.

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 10:46:03 PM »
..Eh yes, I know what you mean. It took me three years to xummon the courage to paint mine!

However once I'd bought the civilian vehicles and cars and painted them in Vallejo "English Uniform" the yellow khaki original gloss paint job of the Rolls had to go. I've no idea if my choice was the correct one, but it works, and at the end of the day what looks right probably is.