Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:31:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: F&I War buildings question  (Read 2586 times)

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
F&I War buildings question
« on: July 27, 2016, 02:06:25 AM »
So I've kind of got a bug to do some F&I War gaming.I've got the figures I need and plenty of woodland terrain but I only have a couple wood buildings and fences that fit in with the frontier thing.
I was wondering if I could fit in a scenario with a raid on a small town or government trading center where I could use my stone or brick buildings. Were there such places that would be within striking distance of such a raid? Maybe on the lakes or along the river? Or would I have to have a wall or stockade around it?
I'm not very well read  on the war in North America, just a basic outline of the major campaigns.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,Pete

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
Re: F&I War buildings question
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 03:58:24 AM »
Hi Pete,

On the extreme edges of the frontier, most buildings would be wood.  BUT raids went pretty deep into British territory.  Many house were built out of stone so they wouldn't look out of place.  Pull the rocks out of the field and you can build a house from them.  Don't know much about brick building at the time though.

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 04:36:57 AM »
Check out Acheson Creations American Frontier line. Great terrain, nice detail and easy to paint. Craig is a gentleman and a pleasure to work with. Check out this link:

http://achesoncreations.com/

If you are looking for rules, check out the following link for Buckskins and Rangers:

http://www.battlefieldgamedesigns.com/

You can contact me from the link: battlefield_designs{at}rogers{dot}com or through LAF.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)

Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 08:11:38 AM »

On the extreme edges of the frontier, most buildings would be wood.  BUT raids went pretty deep into British territory. 

Pete,

I would certainly go for a raid on a more settled area well back from the frontier - all the more potential for a slower reaction from the defenders in a normally peaceful district.

Cheers,
Lance

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 12:07:26 PM »
Brick would be pretty unusual, but they built the blockhouses surrounding Fort Pitt out of locally made bricks in 1764.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 02:52:18 PM »
Good question! Upstate New York suffered over and over from raids during the Colonial period. And many long-settled parts of Pennsylvania also were hit pretty badly, at times. So, I would say go ahead and run your game with the terrain you have. As Hitman says, Acheson Creations buildings are awesome (and inexpensive). You may find yourself collecting them after you've played a few games on your terrain. That's what happened with me with my Song of Drums and Tomahawks games. I started out with Indian vs. Indian action, and bought a lot of the Acheson Creations bark longhouses. Then I bought a fort to do the Fort Michilimackinac attack during Pontiac's Rebellion. Then I bought frontier cabins...

Welcome to the period! I've found it very addictive... lol

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline Carpathian

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 12:27:43 AM »
The French built out of stone at least some of the time.  See the reconstructed main street of Louisbourg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortress_of_Louisbourg

Fort Carillon, constructed of stone had a town attached to it.   Not known what the buildings were made of?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Carillon

----------------

British Fort Herkimer included a stone house.
http://dmna.ny.gov/forts/fortsE_L/HerkimerOldFort.htm

However the nearby town of German Flatts was reduced to "smoking ruins".....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_German_Flatts_(1757)

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 02:22:41 AM »
Thanks for all the replies guys!
@Hitman the couple wood buildings I do have are Acheson's dark age houses,wood with thatch roofs. I also have a couple of there mammoths(not for F&I war lol).They do make nice affordable buildings so as this goes on I probably will get some of their frontier buildings.
Its just that I have some lovely Miniature Building Authority houses I can use to start off.
 As far as rules
I bought Muskets and Tomahawks originally but after seeing a game of This Very Ground played at Historicon I bought the rules and we gave it a go that night.The rules were very simple and I liked the scale level of skirmish better than M&T.We like bigger games and it seemed very easy to get 50 figures a side played in about 1.5 hours, even not ever playing the rules or even barely reading them over once.So I'm thinking when we jump the figure count up and get some games under our belt it will work a treat.
Thanks again Pete

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 08:31:40 PM »
You could also check Pegasus 1/72 russian plastic houses.
They suit very well for log cabins for 28mm.
A lot of people uses them.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 08:42:18 PM »
You could also check Pegasus 1/72 russian plastic houses.
They suit very well for log cabins for 28mm.
A lot of people uses them.

Thats what I use, I bought some shingles as the rooves are thatched on models, easy to change

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 12:46:11 AM »
Thanks for the tip on the Pegasus houses guys.I have seen  the boxes at conventions but never gave them a glance as they are 1/72. Scored 5 of them for $40.
Pete