Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:43:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690962
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Introducing Hell Rangers Scifi/horror board game  (Read 4474 times)

Offline RKE Games

• Student
Introducing Hell Rangers Scifi/horror board game
« on: July 08, 2016, 10:50:29 PM »
Introducing Hell Rangers
Hell Rangers is a cooperative 32mm miniature board game for 1-5 players. In the game you assume the role of the Rangers, a paramilitary military force tasked with defending the citizens of Mars from the monstrous Zaghast that live deep under the planet’s surface. It is similar in vein to properties like Doom or Aliens.

Today we have a large 3d gallery preview of the Rangers themselves and their enemies the Zaghast.
http://rkegames.com/wp_hellrangers/3d-characterenemygraphic-design-gallery/

Hell Rangers Overview:
http://rkegames.com/wp_hellrangers/game-overview/

More previews and videos will be coming showcasing all the games features.

Hell Rangers will be coming out later this year, looking to Kickstart sometime.

If any publishers are interested in Order Fulfillment/Publishing/Distribution please feel free to contact me, I am open to suggestions:
http://rkegames.com/wp_hellrangers/linkscontact/

Hell Rangers Website
www.hellrangers.com

Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/Hell-Rangers-259993331042423/

Thank you!

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Introducing Hell Rangers Scifi/horror board game
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 11:49:08 PM »
I think the floor tiles could be improved, they look rather bland to me at the moment. Granted, games like Mansions od Madness have set a very high standard and it's not easy to depict a  Sci-Fi base in an interesting manner, but maybe some different rooms, equipment, cables on the floor etc. as well as light and shadow effects would spice things up :) I like the concept overall, loved the Doom boardgame so I hope we can get a similar experience from it :)

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 12:41:13 AM »
Why don't the rangers wear pants?

Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 02:38:15 AM »
Too hot in Hell?

Interesting concept. Doom, sure -  but it reminds me of 'Glimmer Rats'.

Online Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 04:40:32 AM »
I don't find this inspiring at all. It's poorly rendered miniatures with a bland board... it would need some pretty awesome gameplay to raise it to a level of interest.

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 10:58:57 AM »
Too hot in Hell?

lol

I do think they are wearing pants however, or otherwise their thighs are seriously tanned.

Pants issue aside, I have to agree with others on the tiles seeming to be a bit on the bland-er side, something which Cherno gives excellent suggestions to.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 12:04:31 PM »
Earth Reborn and Machina Arcana have some very good terrain boards, maybe they can serve as inspiration :)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 01:40:45 PM »
I don't find this inspiring at all. It's poorly rendered miniatures with a bland board... it would need some pretty awesome gameplay to raise it to a level of interest.

This.  The artwork and miniature concepts are extremely "meh". The guns/weapons are uninspired...as mentioned the guys don't wear pants, etc.  Unfortunately this doesn't scratch a single itch for me.

It looks like a Doom board game which would have been around in the late 90's.  That's not a compliment. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 02:51:20 PM »
I think this looks pretty good so far. I get a retro 90s Doom/Space Hulk vibe from it (which imho is cool), the Doom boardgame was great fun and Space Hulk is one of the best balanced box games ever.

Boards are a bit bland but given that each 8x4 tile will be re-arranged to suit different scenarios making them any less generic will make that more difficult. But I agree that some cables, discarded equipment etc graphics on the floors would be good. Not going to the Hybrid/Nemesis "too cluttered to see the grids" look though, and for me, certainly not a 3d lookdown room view..

The figure renders look fine for boardgame pieces, I think the Zaghast concepts are great and have a lot of re-use options outside this gamebox (extreme flood variants for Halo comes to mind).
The troopers do wear pants (where do you see otherwise??) either that or they have really badly formed musculature and dermal problems on their legs.

It will come down to the standard game box price and the actual gameplay. Hopefully there will be some playtest reviews around before the KS or a set of the  cards and rules necessary for a scenario or two can be released as "print and play"

This is the first of the recent epidemic of man vs alien sci-fi miniature boardgames that has held any interest for me.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 02:54:52 PM by robh »

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 02:55:34 PM »
As someone who already published Miniaturegames on his own I can surely tell you that you would not reach a satisfing result into a Kickstarter Campaing in this current state of production.

If you want I can help you with some advice on the biggest issues in Design. I know well the problems with becoming "project-blind" with the first selfmade project. Its too close to have the objective point of view on the overall parts.

Some burning issues I would suggest are:

Tiles: Like Cherno said, they are way to blank, its like a grey desert of metaltextured fields. You need a Board that "tells a story". People want to recognize what its used for. Dorming Quarters, Cargo Bay, Laboratory, Command Room, Generators etc. A good way was made with the Old Space crusade Tiles!

Playcards: On the first sight they look plain and "loveless" designed. The Cards need more textures because they are most of the Time in the field of view of a player and are a Major source of Look and Feel to bring the players in the gameworld.

Miniatures: As a Sculptor I can see that they are technically ok, the Anatomie, Proportions look correct so far, but they are absolutly soulless. They have undynamic poses and have no Coredesign that makes them special/ Unique to your Game. The Monsters all looks like Variants of the same Basic Monstertype. That makes it a bit flat.  Imo you will have the most work to Do here to bring that game on the right Track!

If you need some deeper help PM me if you want.

Chhers Delta

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 03:11:06 PM »
The troopers do wear pants (where do you see otherwise??) either that or they have really badly formed musculature and dermal problems on their legs.

Maybe they do.  These pictures doesn't look like pants to me:

Looking at some of the other pictures, what I see as skin has been painted as cloth.

Offline JoeRugby

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 06:04:07 PM »
Are the demons where the failed corpse hammer Kickstarter stuff went?

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 06:31:53 PM »
Are the demons where the failed corpse hammer Kickstarter stuff went?

: lol
I think RKE have improved things a lot since then. The Corpse Hammer stuff was "unique".  But having that KS behind them should mean this one is better organised and has more polish (and more visuals).
Interesting to see if thay are sticking with Trollcast though or moving to some other resin. Just one of the details they need to give more info about.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 07:07:51 PM »
I liked the complete over the top madness of Copsehammer. I like the demon things here (the big ones anyway) but the humans look like action figures (albeit action figures with obvious trousers, are you people blind?).
Some 3D scenery items to add to the basic floor tiles would add interest without removing versatility.
The cards need lots of work.
Good luck with the project.

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 01:15:35 AM »
Pants... Tools of the devil >:D
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"