Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:07:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: XYZ Division - Subscription Based Gaming  (Read 944 times)

Offline XYZDivision

• Schoolboy
XYZ Division - Subscription Based Gaming
« on: May 15, 2017, 11:25:14 AM »
Hey Guys,

My name is Mark and I am the creator of a new fully 3D Printable war game called XYZ Division, which we hope to launch on Kickstarter soon.

XYZ Division is unique in the fact that it is the first subscription based online war game, hosting a plethora of 33mm figurines and scenic models which you are able to print and battle with. Nearly all our figurines are customisable letting you chose the weapon as well as the podium they stand on. You can print out as many models as you desire as there are no download or printing limits, this enables you to create monstrous personalised armies and table tops of your dreams at a fraction of the cost of purchasing models or scenic objects from the stores.

now we know that not everyone has access to 3d printers which is why we are looking to create software which would enable you to purchase the models at a low cost and have them printed at a hub near your geographical location. This reduces not only shipping costs but manufacturing costs too

you can find more about XYZ Division on Instagram where we are heavily active https://www.instagram.com/xyzdivision/

I would love to hear your thoughts on 3D printing table top figurines and scenery. Is our concept something that would interest you guys?

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: XYZ Division - Subscription Based Gaming
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 01:03:11 PM »
It's a neat idea but I'm sort of struggling to see the point. Why 3d printed? you say it's cheaper but is it really cheaper or more efficient for me to run a 3d printer for how ever many hours than it is for me to just pick up a box of resin minis?

Obviously the best of luck, But it feels a bit gimmicky.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline nedius

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 01:09:51 PM »
I don't have a 3D printer - and I've held off having seen the grainy 'layers' of most home printers.

Whilst I think the idea has lots of merit, I wonder if you are a bit early. Most people don't yet have 3D printers, and if I have to pay subscription costs on top of mini printing from a 3rd party, I'd need something pretty special to make that commitment.

For people who have a good quality 3D printer, I can imagine this being more appealing, but good quality ones are still very expensive. To take that step and then have to pay subscription fees.... Not sure yet.

Will watch with interest, and good luck!

Offline Maxim

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 11:23:37 PM »
My thoughts:

I think this will become a much bigger thing, the more 3D printers become common.  I don't have a 3D printer myself.  I'd like to get one, but the good ones are still over $2k.  There's also the learning curve.

I'm in IT.  One thing I know is Users.  Home 3D printing isn't going to take off like everyone says it will until it's super-easy to use and goof-proof.  It's not simply a matter of cost.  

The good news is that there will be a market for Creators for a very long time as your average User will never take the time to learn CAD software.  For the present, while I would go figure out how to get these printed, normal non-computer-nerds would not.  I have no idea where I would do it locally.  

Don't get discouraged, but realize as part of your marketing model that if it's too much trouble, people won't shell out for it.  This will change, but only market forces will determine how, exactly.  I predict that one could make a very good living for the next 10 years by renting a space, buying a few 3D printers and taking out a TV ad shilling your 3D Printing services.

If I knew what to do or where to go, or who I could just pay to do it for me, I'd be in on the whole 3D printing thing.

Offline XYZDivision

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 09:36:05 AM »
Hey Guys - Thanks for the Response, we really appreciate it, and please keep them coming!

Nic-e - To print a resin miniature of ours from a 3rd Party, such as 3D Hubs, came to one average $2 a model. It wouldn't matter what 'class' or 'importance' the figurine is to your faction, the price would always be consistent.

Nedius - We agree the FDM style printers do leave a graininess to the models, all of our figurines however are printed utilising the SLA technology which leaves no grain marks at all on the figurine. Our goal is to host a plethroa of customisable printable models on our online library which will make your faction army unique compare to your friends at a fraction of the cost of miniatures in the stores

Maxim - We agree that with some FDM Printers there is a learning curve. I mean you could pick up a cube 3 from 3D Systems for about $200 which is fairly goof proof, you can put your own filament through it these days! We are hoping to use the funds from KS, if successful, to help build our software platform that would also make purchasing models streamlined for users that do not have access to a printer.

Offline nedius

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 03:29:01 PM »
thanks for the reply.

How will they be a fraction of the cost?

That is very interesting - but if the cost per figure is cheap, but getting a SLA 3D printer to use at home, or having to pay comparable prices to other manufacturers once they add fees and postage...

I'd certainly be tempted if they were indeed a way of getting some cool stuff cheaply - let's face it, who wouldn't be? It's the reason I picked up the Figurebits mdf consoles.

Offline Maxim

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 04:44:50 PM »
We're a bunch of nerds, but the general consensus from the "average User" is that 3D printing is oh-so-complicated and about all they know about them is you can make a functioning gun with one, therefore they are scary.

It's actually very fascinating.  This is a new technology, new manufacturing technique and bringing this to market requires new business models and marketing tactics. 

Offline XYZDivision

• Schoolboy
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 10:27:22 AM »
Hey Nerdus and Maxim,

As we know 3D printing is a growing market and a fairly sizeable segment of gamers do not have access to one, we knew this was going to be a concern. We printed all our models out via 3D Hubs and found that the average 33mm model cost $2 including the podium. The model was printed at 25 microns (the most detailed on offer) and Shipping came to around $5. (The price could even decrease further if the 'hub' was using a cheaper resin)

Most people print via Shapeways, but our experience with the materials they print with has not been great and we also found the cost to print very high. We actually printed one of our models on a 3D Systems Projet 2500 to gauge the difference between a 'corporate professional' printer and a desktop Form 2 SLA printer (we also wanted to see what the model would look like when the supports had been steamed off) However were amazed at how better the print from the Form 2 printer came out when compared to the Projet 2500.

Currently we are working on software which will streamline the process for gamers like yourself to purchase 3D printed figurines, at a fixed cost, near your geographical location. This cuts out the leg work of you having to find hubs which we are really keen to do. A succesfull KS will aid us in creating the custom software as well as helping us craft more models!

Our end goal is to create a complete, immersive and interactive gaming platform, completely different to what is on the market today, hosting 100's of customisable models which users can A) Print at home if they do have access to a printer and B) Be able to purchase their customised models at a low cost, at a vetted hub near their geographical location, reducing shipping and overall manufacturing costs.