Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:37:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Coastal wasteland (My First plunge into miniature terrain and painting)  (Read 2727 times)

Offline elof

• Student
So all this miniature wargaming is completely new to me. But I'm old in the post-apocalyptic scene. Has done tons of Larping/costumes and the like.  But now I'm getting into terrain making and soon to try some rules. Here's the beginning of what will be my coastal terrain. All is wip. What do you think? Tips? Advice? Any more swedes here?

The toxic pit is not the ocean, it will come in a later update!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 08:08:28 AM by elof »

Offline Alder Von Well

• Schoolboy
Looking good mate.  :)

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
looks amazing so far. Dont think I have ever seen someone do a coastal setup and you are nailing it.

Offline elof

• Student
looks amazing so far. Dont think I have ever seen someone do a coastal setup and you are nailing it.

Thanks. Will start on a ship soon and hopefully create something like Libertalia from fallout4.

Offline elof

• Student
today i started on my lighthouse, it will be a beast when ready, with working lights. I've change my plan on making the light turn as in a real lighthouse, and instead Im have a bunch of LED slowly dimming and lighten up again. It will create the same feeling.

Also my kit from TTcombat came, and this is their cargo ship getting a metallic car primer.

IMG_2619" border="0 IMG_2621" border="0

Offline AngusH

• Bookworm
Looking forward to seeing that lighthouse!

Offline elof

• Student
Looking forward to seeing that lighthouse!

Here's todays update. Instead of using fine grain sand for the concrete feel of the lighthouse, I tried ash from our heater. Its free and easy to get, and gets everywhere.. really.. so use it outside.

IMG_2627" border="0 IMG_2629" border="0 IMG_2630" border="0

The "light bulb" is an old (actually really old like the beginning of the 1900 medicine bottle.

At first I wanted to make the lighthouse like it used to be before the apocalypse and then distress it, but it was simply to time consuming and honestly a bit above my skilllevel, and since I still wanted it to be inhabited by post-apocalyptic gangs I choosed to make it more scrapyardy (good word) from the start.

next step i to paint white and concrete grey.. and decide if I will place it on a island or not, its really tall already..

Offline elof

• Student
Its going slowly, but im learning. Still not really happy with my figures painting, gladly takes some advice.

Today im getting close to being done with the lighthouse, and some small buildings for the toxic lake.

IMG_2633" border="0 IMG_2647" border="0 IMG_2651" border="0 IMG_2652" border="0

Offline Baconfat

• Librarian
    • baconfatblog.blogspot.com
Good gracious Elfboy, you've already mastered the hobby!

I'm stealing your lighthouse idea.

Offline Maxim

• Assistant
You've got the whole dirty/rusty/toxic thing down pat!  You do the coloration a lot better than I do.

How did you texture that fantastic RV?  My only suggestion is to watch the application of the texture.  You want some scratch-marks strategically placed, but pretty much my only suggestion would be to stipple more and brush less (whatever you're using to texture the car).  You don't want it to look like you applied the texture with a serrated butter knife and stippling will give that rust a bubbling appearance like you see in junkyards and picture of Syria.  Strategically placed "brush strokes" will look like ancient scratches and accident scars.  It looks like you did that in several places on purpose, and it looks great.

But it looks fantastic so far.  This looks like it'll be a really cool game board.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
Indeed. Interesting project and you are off to a promising start. ;-)

Offline elof

• Student
Thanks for all the nice words, it gives me some renewed energy. Soon there will be a pretty big update.

Offline elof

• Student
How did you texture that fantastic RV?  My only suggestion is to watch the application of the texture.  You want some scratch-marks strategically placed, but pretty much my only suggestion would be to stipple more and brush less (whatever you're using to texture the car).  You don't want it to look like you applied the texture with a serrated butter knife and stippling will give that rust a bubbling appearance like you see in junkyards and picture of Syria.  Strategically placed "brush strokes" will look like ancient scratches and accident scars.  It looks like you did that in several places on purpose, and it looks great.

Thanks for all the nice words. The texture of the RV is actually some real rust done with first a layer of iron-powder on in a grey acrylic and then I use a oxidation "spray" to get the rust going. Thanks for the advice on stippling. Will be sure to try that on my next building.

heres a link to a product that similar to what I use. http://www.modernmasters.com/landing/homeowners/brands/me

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 07:56:19 AM by elof »