Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:54:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley New Solo Deck and Fortune Cards  (Read 13858 times)

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
Re: Pulp Alley New Releases – July
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2016, 05:14:06 PM »
One can never have too many Fortune Cards....ordered!  :D
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Pulp Alley Solo Rules
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 02:46:20 AM »
I'm curious...does Initiative still change when fights are won/lost, or plot points scored?  Or, once determined, does it stay fixed until the next turn?
I'm very excited by this Solo Deck release, by the way. :)
rags

When playing Solo, Initiative does not change hand. It is not rolled for. In fact, Initiative does not really exist.

Once you pick a side to activate, you must continue activating them... unless a Solo card pop's up to change that.  ;)

FYI -- did you download the Solo rules after you placed your order?

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 02:48:09 AM by d phipps »

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
Re: Pulp Alley New Solo Deck and Fortune Cards
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2016, 07:47:03 PM »
FYI -- did you download the Solo rules after you placed your order?
I hadn't when I asked about initiative, but I have since and I see that it answers my questions.  I can't wait to see the deck...it's obvious you've put a lot of thought and effort into getting this right.  I'm sure we're going to see some very creative uses made of the deck and rules...I'm already thinking along those lines myself.
 ;)
Thanks for your response,
rags

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 08:05:51 PM »
A BIG thanks to everyone who has already pre-ordered one or both of our new Pulp Alley card sets.  :-* :-*

Although we are running a little low on stock, it looks like we are on track to have all the pre-orders shipped by August 10.  :D

HAVE FUN

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 09:09:58 PM »
Great idea on the Solo deck, Dave and Mila! Although I have a great group of gamers here in Columbus, I know many gamers don't have that good fortune.

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 06:07:00 AM »
Dear Mila and Dave:

Since I am into Gothic Horror and Fantasy Adventures, I don't play PULP ALLEY, so I think I can say something with an unbiased mind, IMHO:

You are a true duo of great action heroes. because you've just made a great game even better, CONGRATULATIONS!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:08:44 AM by dinohunterpoa »
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 07:41:05 PM »
Dave/Mila,

Would you say solo makes for an easier introduction to the rules, more complex, or about the same?

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2016, 04:29:56 AM »
THANKS so much for your kind support! We appreciate your comments.

Would you say solo makes for an easier introduction to the rules, more complex, or about the same?

Solo is easier. The two biggest differences between the two are Initiative and Cards. Both of these have been simplified, because you don't have to deal with the interaction of other players. Other than that, it is basically the same.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have other questions.

HAVE FUN

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2016, 02:28:28 AM »
Looks fun.  I will give the solo rules a try.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2016, 12:47:04 PM »

Solo is easier. The two biggest differences between the two are Initiative and Cards. Both of these have been simplified, because you don't have to deal with the interaction of other players. Other than that, it is basically the same.

HAVE FUN

Certainly seems fun and I wil be preordering.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2016, 09:36:01 PM »
We have run out of stock on our first batch of Solo Decks, but more are already on the way.

There's a chance that some of the later orders may be delayed a bit.

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2016, 11:02:28 PM »
Solo Deck? Sure It will be fine for my Solo Game campaign ;)

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2016, 09:53:26 AM »

HAVE FUN

Pre-ordered, and I am looking forward to it. I had some furthers thoughts, particularly in relation to the horror deck. Using the solo deck, could you play a semi co-operative game, (I was thinking, for example, of something like an 'Aliens' scenario where it would be all the players against the horrific alien creatures, but with players having their own agendas) against the solo deck. Naturally, players would need to determine their own initiative in some form. Aside from this, do you think it would work "out of the box" as it were, or with minimal tinkering?

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2016, 05:55:21 PM »

...  could you play a semi co-operative game... against the solo deck. Naturally, players would need to determine their own initiative in some form. Aside from this, do you think it would work "out of the box" as it were, or with minimal tinkering?

Yes, we played a bunch of games like this already. The way we do it is to maintain the two-sides (bot-side vs players side). To determine player character activations......

The Boss -- Make one player the "boss" for the entire scenario. Each turn, the boss decides which league (entire league) must activate first.
Random Boss -- High-die at the start of each turn to decide the boss. Boss decides which league must activate first.
Die Boss -- High-die at the start of each turn. High roll must activate their league first.
Pulp Boss -- High-die at start of scenario to determine boss. That player holds "Pulp Alley Initiative" until the other player steals it.
Board-Game Rules -- Players alternate moving one character of their choice at a time. High-die at the start of each turn to see who goes first.
Two-Headed Giant Rules -- Players jointly agree on which character want to activate next. High-die when they cant agree.

There are plenty more options, but it is lunchtime.

Note -- none of this applies to bots. They still activate/move/fight based on the Solo guidelines.

These can be really fun scenarios!   :D

HAVE FUN

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2016, 12:46:29 AM »
I set up my first solo game of Pulp Alley last night after dinner and played a couple of turns before retiring to bed.  I used a couple of starting level leagues, and rolled a d6 at the start of each turn to decide which league activated first.  I was very impressed with how well the solo rules and deck work, and what an interesting game they provided.  Too often, playing a game like this solo devolves into a tedious checklist of procedural moves that lack drama and spontaneity, but the Pulp Alley Solo Deck is full of twists and surprises, and gives the game the kind of dynamic ebb and flow that makes it unpredictable, lively, dramatic, and fun.
I really don't think one could ask for a better rendition of this game for solo play -- there was a lot of thought and care put into designing this expansion, and anyone who plays solo, or has thought of doing so, is going to be thrilled with how well it opens up Pulp Alley for the solo gamer.
I'll be returning to my own solo game tonight...I can't wait to see who wins, and just how they do it.
Solo gamers, your Pulp Alley expansion has arrived, and it works great.
 ;)
rags
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 12:49:56 AM by ragsthetiger »