Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:47:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How big are the figures in Tom Meier's Throne of Bone?  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
How big are the figures in Tom Meier's Throne of Bone?
« on: July 12, 2016, 02:17:34 AM »
Took part in Ral Partha’s Chaos Wars Wave 2 kickstarter, just for the Julie Guthrie Vampire Queen, as I had some spare cash after contributing to Firelock Games' Blood & Plunder. 

Still waiting for the survey and can't decide if I should add anything else to the order, since most of the undead is already in the store, but the add-on of a scantily clad fat man and reclining babe caught my eye... :o

What are the sizes of the figures in Tom Meier's Throne of Bone?

Measurements of the entire model:
Height 3.5 inches
Length: 2.75"
Width: 3.5"

Would the skeletons look small next to ones from Mantic, for instance? How about the necromancer?

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: How big are the figures in Tom Meier's Throne of Bone?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 07:33:19 AM »
I have an original one somewhere. Figures are smallish by today's standards, but who cares, it's an epic model!

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 02:50:08 AM »
I have an original one somewhere. Figures are smallish by today's standards, but who cares, it's an epic model!

Epic might not be so epic, if dwarfed by today's standards...

Going with an estimate, would you say the reclining fat man is an hobbit, by today's standards?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 03:00:07 AM by Condottiere »

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 09:37:53 AM »
I must confess it's been several years since I've seen it (lead mountains being mountains and all that).

But Mantic's skeletons aren't all that big themselves by today's standards, so compared to those, I wouldn't say he's a hobbit. Probably.

This post is not helping, is it? :(

Offline Skipp

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 09:41:43 AM »
Tbh mate, if most of you collection is 28mm or big ( modern sized in your terms) and you don't like using slightly different sized minis, then you probably bought into the wrong Kickstarter...

Me, I'm happy to mix it up, I will have 70's ral partha , with pre slotta citadel, and slotta citadel with rackham... You get the picture.   If I like it, I use it.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 04:53:24 AM »
I must confess it's been several years since I've seen it (lead mountains being mountains and all that).

But Mantic's skeletons aren't all that big themselves by today's standards, so compared to those, I wouldn't say he's a hobbit. Probably.

This post is not helping, is it? :(

It's helpful...

I can better idea of the size in comparison and will add it to the order, along with a giant hydra. Mantic's skeletons are accurately sized for 28mm figures. For sturdiness, most metal and plastic skeletons are too thick and if one adds flesh, the figure would be obese or larger than 28 - IIRC, late 90s GW's multi-part plastic ones all have wide child-bearing pelvises. lol     

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 04:57:17 AM »
I've always been after that mini too do will watch this thread with eagerness. I received my survey slip a long time ago, have you not got yours yet (or just not sent it in)
I'm only going for the Trogs from this lot so size isn't really an issue for me but I know what you mean.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 05:00:39 AM »
Tbh mate, if most of you collection is 28mm or big ( modern sized in your terms) and you don't like using slightly different sized minis, then you probably bought into the wrong Kickstarter...

Me, I'm happy to mix it up, I will have 70's ral partha , with pre slotta citadel, and slotta citadel with rackham... You get the picture.   If I like it, I use it.

TBH, my interest is in the new vampire sculpt, which should be larger than the re-released older stuff. With some exceptions, Ral Partha's figures have always been more 25mm than 28mm, even back in early 1990s, when I purchased a few. I don't mind mixing it up, even in the same units, but the sculpts have to be near in height and could only go so far with creativity. Have a pre-slotta Citadel ninja, but it looks like a child next to the Citadel Perry ones.  

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 05:04:08 AM »
I've always been after that mini too do will watch this thread with eagerness. I received my survey slip a long time ago, have you not got yours yet (or just not sent it in)
I'm only going for the Trogs from this lot so size isn't really an issue for me but I know what you mean.
Downloaded the order form, but haven't yet received a survey. Was going to send it today, but just ordered a dozen Coat D'armes paints from Hasslefree, after finding out about a flash sale - 21% off coupon. Now will wait till Friday, when I get my next paycheck...