Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:22:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686621
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 12 veterans of the Varangian Guard for my Viking warband  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Gracchus Armisurplus

• Scientist
12 veterans of the Varangian Guard for my Viking warband
« on: July 13, 2016, 02:31:14 AM »

All converted from the GB plastic hirdmen set, using a handful of Wargames Factory parts. And some bits from the Dark Ages warriors kit.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
Re: 12 veterans of the Varangian Guard for my Viking warband
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 06:26:06 PM »
Nice kit bashing to get a great variety of poses. Thanks for sharing

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 11:20:42 PM »
Hmmm... may have to consider that WGF-set, after all...  o_o
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 11:52:23 PM »
Nice kit bashing to get a great variety of poses. Thanks for sharing

Cheers :)

Hmmm... may have to consider that WGF-set, after all...  o_o

It's a kind of hit and miss kit. For these guys I only really used the 'downward chopping' arms, and some hands cut off their arms. The WGF models are pretty handy (lol) in that all their hands are open, and you can fit whatever weapons you want in there. So I was able to cannibalise some hands to put my dane-axes in. I also ran out of axes, so I stripped down some GB spears, trimming the hands and arms off, then cut them to an appropriate length. Then I took the axe wielding arms from the Dark Ages Warrior kit, cut the head off, and affixed it to the cut-down spear and used that as my dane axe. My original plan was to drill out the hands from the GB kits and use those, but they're quite small and would have looked a touch silly with a dane-axe haft going through them and I had bought the WGF kit to see how well it would kit-bash with the GB stuff (it goes... ok, not great, is the answer) I had the hands spare and they looked much better that way :)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 06:48:41 AM »
very nice kit bashing indeed ! now get some paint on them ;)
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 09:50:24 PM »
It's a kind of hit and miss kit. For these guys I only really used the 'downward chopping' arms, and some hands cut off their arms. The WGF models are pretty handy (lol) in that all their hands are open, and you can fit whatever weapons you want in there. So I was able to cannibalise some hands to put my dane-axes in. I also ran out of axes, so I stripped down some GB spears, trimming the hands and arms off, then cut them to an appropriate length. Then I took the axe wielding arms from the Dark Ages Warrior kit, cut the head off, and affixed it to the cut-down spear and used that as my dane axe. My original plan was to drill out the hands from the GB kits and use those, but they're quite small and would have looked a touch silly with a dane-axe haft going through them and I had bought the WGF kit to see how well it would kit-bash with the GB stuff (it goes... ok, not great, is the answer) I had the hands spare and they looked much better that way :)

Yes, I would probably just want it for kitbashing, too. Well, maybe somewhen after the summer Holidays...

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 03:40:47 AM »
Yes, I would probably just want it for kitbashing, too. Well, maybe somewhen after the summer Holidays...

They might be tough to find with Warlord taking over their stuff, they've been slow releasing any of it...

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 08:50:50 AM »
Yeah, if you're interested in the WGF kits I'd be keeping an eye on eBay, checking out Buy/Swap/Sell sites etc. Don't over-pay, they're not THAT rare, but don't wait too long or the price will only increase over time.