Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:50:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689725
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Malifaux Starter Set Painted  (Read 4114 times)

skink

Malifaux Starter Set Painted
« on: July 13, 2016, 05:21:42 PM »
After trying to get into Malifaux several years ago with my girlfriend ended in disappointment for everyone involved(she noticed that painting minis is much messier than using photoshop, I noticed that I was, well, too 'stupid' to play Rasputina), I recently decided to use the 2.Edition to give it another try. So I painted the Malifaux 2. Edition Starter Set the other day, which, in my opinion, gives you quite a good bang for the buck. The Minis are great, even so their poses are a bit on the static side and you get two okay tape measures and two all-important poker decks. Took these pictures with my tablet, so it's not the best quality.

Anyways, here we have the asylum-running Guild, put in scene in front of cardboard 'buildings of Malifaux'.

And the Neverborn complete with some recently infected bloodwretches.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Re: Malifaux Starter Set Painted
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 05:48:46 PM »
Lovely stuff.

I never got on that well with Malifaux.  Any game that requires the sort of synergy of skills and powers (Mali faux,  Guildball etc)is just beyond me. But I do like how they've translated the art into the miniature design and painted well, as these are, they look great! Hope you manage to nail it this time!

skink

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 06:16:51 PM »
Thank yo.
I'm having some worries, too, about the synergies, myriads of combos and overall complexity After all, this killed Warmachine for me(It also didn't help that I was persuaded to enter a tournament with barely four games under my belt. Went about as well as was to be expected)  This time, I'm gonna stay stirctly casual. If that doesn't work, I'll use the minis for Rogue Planet.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 06:34:58 PM »
Thank yo.
I'm having some worries, too, about the synergies, myriads of combos and overall complexity After all, this killed Warmachine for me(It also didn't help that I was persuaded to enter a tournament with barely four games under my belt. Went about as well as was to be expected)  This time, I'm gonna stay stirctly casual. If that doesn't work, I'll use the minis for Rogue Planet.

That's my plan with WM as well.  Honestly, I got some figures for it as my girlfriend (and her whole family) is a very competitive person and the more "beer and pretzels" style rulesets I tend to like may not sit well with her if there is ever a rules question.  I have been tempted by Malifaux as the style of the figures and the lack of dice are interesting, I may have to pick this set up and give it a try. Nice painting!  :)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 10:42:51 PM »
Nice work, especially the blood effects and skin tones.  Agree with you about the value of the starter set, it's very economical and produces some good games (although it does feel weird playing Neverborn and having a shooting edge against Guild - Perdita would be ashamed).

As for being to "stupid" to play a given Master, how long did you try with Rasputina?  I find if you concentrate on a single Master and a fairly stable crew for five or six games you start to get things down pat and quality of play ramps up quickly, at which point you can start experimenting with different lackey models, schemes, and upgrade choices to vary things up while continuing to refine your Master of choice.  You may never become a tourney player (how many of us even have that as an option locally?) but even we dirty casuals can get better at the game, at least for the minis we really like to use.  :)