Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:25:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Plot Generator  (Read 3660 times)

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
Pulp Plot Generator
« on: January 23, 2009, 01:32:46 PM »
While browsing the net for plot ideas, I found a random Pulp Plot generator table which I downloaded as a PDF for 1$.

I am very impressed and highly recommend anyone looking for plot and scene ideas to check it out.  It includes multiple tables to not only flesh out scenes but plot, villians, npcs/supporting casts, as well as unforseen events, twists and turns, betrayals. 

Just looking at it, has given me dozens of immediate plot ideas and I haven't even used it yet.  It can be used for pulp miniature games, rpgs of even modern and superhero type games from the looks of it.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=pulp+generator&quicksearch=1&search_filter=&filters=&search_free=&search_in_description=1&search_in_author=1&search_in_artist=1

Its a handy set of tables and instructions for a just a dollar.
"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
Re: Pulp Plot Generator
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 04:18:39 PM »
Just generated and fleshed out a brief 3-part adventure using this plot generator.  After rolling about 6 plots out.  I a found elements that to one that just came alive to me. 

The nice thing about this pulp genrator is that it gives you a rigid framework to set each scene.  I mostly use the Astounding Tales miniature wargame ruleset so this type of generated design is perfect for setting games.

Waking Cthulhu

Carl Stanford (a wicked occultist) is attempting acquire dreaded Tablet of Dyzan to summon the dread Cthulhu from his ocean tomb.  He has enlisted the aid of the Cult of the Bloody Tongue (a Cthulhu Death Cult) consisting of mixed breed fanatical pacific nationalities.

The characters are hired by a wealthy and dangerous antiquities collector Mr. Gutman to protect the Tablet in his mansion home and find who the mysterious gentleman who is trying to acquire the tablet is.  Unfortunately the first night, masked cultists steal the tablet.

Scene 1
A fierce battle ensues on the rooftop between cultists and the heroes as the tablet is rushed to a waiting car.  A grappling hook and rope is affixed to the edge to make their escape.  The roof is very dangerous and falling could easily kill either side.  1-2 opponents per model.

Scene 2
The heroes fresh from their rooftop battle pursue the drivers of the car in a dangerous Cliffside car chase.  The chase ends in a bizarre occurrence.  If the hero’s car crashes, the cultists escape.  If the cultists car crashes, a lone agent of the cultist (Abdul the Bomber) begins to flee on foot only to be swooped down on by a horrible black flying creature (a Nightguant)which takes him away screaming with the Tablet.

Scene 3
Warehouse – The heroes have received a tip that a strange foreigner has rented a dockside warehouse in an isolated area of the shipping district.  Their weird foreign clothing and speech suggest they may be connected with the Bloody Tongue Cult.  The heroes are ready and armed but have a large force of cultists and Carl Sanford to contend with.  Carl Sanford gives a brief monologue and escapes with the tablet while his minions fight the heroes.  The longitude and Latitude of an island where no island should exist is found in some office papers.

Scene 4
The heroes with the aid of a salty old sailor and 1st mate find an island raised from the ocean floor.  They are confronted by Abdul the bomber and some deep ones who try to stall them until Stanford can complete the ceremony to open the great doors of Cthulhu’s crypt.  The heroes only have a limited number of turns.  Stanford will must have 6 uninterupted turns to open the doors.  He will start over if injured and will only stop out of necessity.

If Cthulhu door is opened, he comes into play.  He will attack the nearest living models until destroyed, starting with Stanford.  The Tablet has the ability to banish Cthulhu is used by an occultist.  This will cause Cthulhu to burst in noxious green vapor and return to the crypt as the doors seal.  The island will then rumble forcing the heroes to flee back to their boat.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 02:13:01 AM »
Cheers for the heads up. 8)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline mahon

• Bookworm
    • Chest Of Colors: All About Miniature Painting
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 06:06:11 PM »
yep, I found it very inspiring. definitely worth the price for some quick ideas for scenarios :)
Mahon
Chest of Colors: All About Miniature Painting