Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:37:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Poles armed with polearms - the Path to Grunwald  (Read 4146 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Poles armed with polearms - the Path to Grunwald
« on: July 16, 2016, 07:45:09 PM »
Well, guess what, I actually managed to paint some stuff!  lol

As many of you may know, I was never too keen on Medieval wargames, but I got hooked at the beginning of the year when Lt. Hazel told me of his plans to do a Teutonic Order State project for the campaigns of 1409 and 1410. I had attempted to start a Hanseatic League project about 10 years ago, but that fizzled after four figures. This time, I was interested enough to pull through with it.

This conflict between the Teutonic Order and a Polish-Lithuanian alliance arose out of long-running disputes, started off with raids and escalated to numerous Polish towns and castles besieged, ransacked and put to the torch. In retaliation, after an armistice of about half a year, a combined army of Polish, Lithuanian, Russian and Tatar troops invaded the State of the Teutonic Order on the Baltic coast, what was later to become western Prussia. The campaign culminated in the Battle of Grunwald, or Tannenberg, as it is better known in Germany.

Since Lt. Hazel had already opted for the Teutonic Order side (and you may have seen his excellent work in this year's LPL), I opted to go for the Poles and Lithuanians. My initial focus is on Polish knights and infantry, with some Tatar allies for now and maybe some Lithuanians and Russians later on once I sort out the modeling aspects. That said, since we consider using Lion Rampant rules, I've already got 34 points of troops (no upgrades), so it is more of a collection rather than a concise retinue.

I started out using the Kingmaker Hussite War range from 1st Corps and am now adding some suitable, or rather, stylistically-not-too-far-off-the-mark Perry HYW plastics as odds and ends. I'll probably add some siege artillery and a unit of handgunners, but right now the focus was on getting a playable force so we can keep up the Impetus.

Pics, or it didn't happen, though! I'll use the Lion Rampant nomenclature to outline what the units will predominantly be used for.

Six Polish mounted Men-at-Arms. I opted to use a variety of herbs with a common red theme to tie the unit together. Kingmaker miniatures.

Six more Men-at-Arms. Here, I went for a varied look with various heraldic motifs. Obviously, the unit is much less coherent, visually, but it helps keeping the units apart.

Next up, six Mounted Serjeants. These were actually the first mounted figures I painted for the project. I have six more of these, but the casting was rather crude with their horses and I'll have to bring up the motivation to actually get to grips with them.

Last unit of cavalry for now - a bunch of "pseudo-Tatars", i.e. Fireforge Mongols painted a bit more cheerfully to represent some of the 3.000 Tatar allies which formed the right wing at Tannenberg/Grunwald and drew off part of the Teutonic Order force into swampy terrain after a desultory first charge. The figures were chosen for availability since I couldn't find actual Tatar figures for the period. If you have any suggestions, I'll be glad to hear them.

Moving on to the infantry part, here's a bunch of Polish Men-At-Arms. These are Perry plastics, and very nice - my previous experiences with Perry plastics were rather mixed, but the various knights and footsoldiers from the HYW boxes are quite nice and assemble into nice pieces.

Making our way down the ladder, next up is a dozen of Polish foot. As it stands, I'll most likely use them as Foot Serjeants in Lion Rampant, but I'll do some Perry replacements for the poorer-clad figures which will form the nucleus for a unit of Foot Yeomen. These are very obviously from the Kingmaker Hussite range, but they are close enough in style, and I very much like the sculpting, even if they are a bit sedate in their posing.

And finally, a unit of crossbowmen, also Kingmaker. Not much to say about these. I mainly took them on board because they were part of the starter army I purchased and are suitable for the campaign - although the forces involved had surprisingly much cavalry, the infantry apparently included quite a number of missile troops.

That's it for now. As mentioned before, I'm currently preparing some replacement figures for the Foot Serjeants made from Perry French Infantry, and am considering some terrain pieces to go with it. But more on that as the time comes.

Thanks for looking!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Poles armed with polearms - the Path to Grunwald
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 08:05:52 PM »
That's a whole heap of wonderful figures  :-* :-*

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline pbjunky1

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 10:00:25 PM »

Well, guess what, I actually managed to paint some stuff!

There are some really nice looking minis in there. You should keep going with this painting lark! lol

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 10:36:39 PM »
Great heraldry and depth of colours, altogether wonderful
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 11:07:33 PM »
Some very nice painting there.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 11:07:57 PM »
Well, that is a surprise Christian! Very nicely done. Very well executed heraldry  8)

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 10:04:04 AM »
Gut gemacht- Well done, Sir!
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 04:03:14 PM »
Lovely work Chris, knights and such like are always visually appealing and yours have come up a treat. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 05:41:52 PM »
Great looking work. We have played several games of Lion Rampant- lots of fun!
I couldn't find actual Tatar figures for the period. If you have any suggestions, I'll be glad to hear them.
As far as alternatives to the Fireforge Mongols, I always thought that Gripping beasts plastic Light Arab Cavalry (Linky) would supply about 6 Cossak-y/tartar looking models that could be used for several centuries.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 09:57:05 PM »
Very nice. Great knights!

I am not convinced by Polish foot men at arms - as a little fantasy unit -  but everything looks really good.

To keep Polish theme more historical invest more into cavalry than infantry generally :)
Infantry was almost absent on Polish side at Grunwald and in the campaign.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 10:33:15 PM by AWu »

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 10:40:30 PM »
I concur those minis look splendid, esp. cavalry. Will you do some lithuanian cavalry as well?
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 10:59:36 AM »
Very nice. Great knights!

I am not convinced by Polish foot men at arms - as a little fantasy unit -  but everything looks really good.

To keep Polish theme more historical invest more into cavalry than infantry generally :)
Infantry was almost absent on Polish side at Grunwald and in the campaign.

Yes, the infantry is more about the occasional siege. That said, I do not yet know if we will actually do Grunwald proper - and for the more likely smaller skirmishes, I guess some infantry is appropriate. For Grunwald itself, there should be a much higher cavalry ratio, I agree.

Also, we are not yet fully set on Lion Rampant for the rules. We might be using some skirmish rules which allow dismounting (or being dismounted when the horse gets shot), so some foot versions of the mounted knights could come in handy.

I concur those minis look splendid, esp. cavalry. Will you do some lithuanian cavalry as well?

I've been thinking about that as well. I'll have to see what figures to use. I still have six of the Mongol Cavalry which could probably be converted for this purpose (i.e. light cavalry), but I'll have to source some suitable heads first, since these seem to be a key feature with very distinctive hats and helmets.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 08:34:13 PM »
Infantry is always Ok (even if proportions are sketchy).
I am more worried by those knights with polearms. Ive never read about anything like that.
Generally Polish knights never fought dismounted in the period (it was nothing like Agincourt nor War of the Roses), sieges with actual combat were not that often (even when Marienburg - Teutonic capital finally fell - it was by bribery of unpaid Czech mercenaries and not by assault) so be cautious with them.

Campaign before Grunwald saw some small sieges and ransacking though.
5 July Janusz Brzozogłowy in swift raid ambushed and destroyed Teutonic forces from Schwetz (Świecie) . He was making aggressive actions to mask main advance and thanks to his partisan raids von Plauen was left in Schwertzand did not participate in Grunwald battle to block Brzozogłowy campaign of terror.
7 July saw capture of Bądzyn
12 July there were some clashes near river Drwęca
Castle at Kurzętnik was besieged but siege was lifted day later.
13 July castle at Dąbrówno (Gilgenburg) was captured in combat and burned - actual siege and combat here.

More sieges were during Teutonic strike back in 1411 (for example mentioned Janusz Brzozogłowy was besieged in Tuchola - but city was captured by deceit not combat).

There is a lot to battle outside of Grunwald itself although from the Polish perspective they were almost exclusively cavalry engagements.

PS: You probably should be interested in Road from Grunwald as Battle of Koronowo should be more interesting than Grunwald for skirmish type gaming.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 10:26:09 AM by AWu »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 11:55:51 AM »
Infantry is always Ok (even if proportions are sketchy).
I am more worried by those knights with polearms. Ive never read about anything like that.

To clarify, only the six Men-at-Arms are supposed to be knights, and only one has a two-handed axe - from my reading, war-hammers, maces and axes were popular arms in Eastern Europe at the time. The other infantry are supposed to be retainers of some sorts, and the classification as "Foot Serjeants" is mainly due to the armour most of them are wearing.

Generally Polish knights never fought dismounted in the period (it was nothing like Agincourt nor War of the Roses), sieges with actual combat were not that often (even when Marienburg - Teutonic capital finally fell - it was by bribery of unpaid Czech mercenaries and not by assault) so be cautious with them.

That is indeed a major difference to Western Europe. As said, it's mainly an issue if the figures have to be dismounted, either due to the scenario or getting their horse killed. They are certainly not part of a force for Grunwald proper - the low-class infantry will be guarding the camp and train.

Campaign before Grunwald saw some small sieges and ransacking though.
5 July Janusz Brzozogłowy in swift raid ambushed and destroyed Teutonic forces from Schwetz (Świecie) . He was making aggressive actions to mask main advance and thanks to his partisan raids von Plauen was left in Schwertzand did not participate in Grunwald battle to block Brzozogłowy campaign of terror.
7 July saw capture of Bądzyn
12 July there were some clashes near river Drwęca
Castle at Kurzętnik was besieged but siege was lifted day later.
13 July castle at Dąbrówno (Gilgenburg) was captured in combat and burned - actual siege and combat here.

More sieges were during Teutonic strike back in 1411 (for example mentioned Janusz Brzozogłowy was besieged in Tuchola - but city was captured by deceit not combat).

There is a lot to battle outside of Grunwald itself although from the Polish perspective they were almost exclusively cavalry engagements.

That's what my sources suggest, too, and where we would like to take the campaign - some small raids and all.

PS: You probably should be interested in Road from Grunwald as Battle of Koronowo should be more interesting than Grunwald for skirmish type gaming.

"Path to Grunwald" was more of a catchy title in the first place, and as a counterpart to the "German" part of the project titled "Road to Tannenberg" by Lt. Hazel. It's not supposed to be just limited to that.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 01:52:33 AM »
Very nice to see the Polish heraldry.  We are so used to seeing French and English that we forget the rest of Europe !