Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:47:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686552
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [KICKSTARTER] Mauser Earth - because you can't have enough weird war concepts!  (Read 3946 times)

Offline grendal

• Bookworm
 Truthfully the concepts in this kickstarter have me much more excited than Konflict (which has the main attraction of a popular rules set).

feels a little like Tannhauser with the time frame of 1938 with a different ending (?) to WWI. Really like the feel of the factions though. I hope this does well.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1715915786/mauser-earth-skirmish-game-war-for-paris

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 04:14:05 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Re: because you can't have enough weird war concepts. (Mauser Earth!)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 03:03:44 PM »
Beautiful minis, (as you'd expect from the people who brought you the now sadly defunct Smog) but I don't think I could face building the requisite 54mm scenery (been there with Inquisitor & the stuff's so big it made storage a nightmare). Maybe if they (or someone) came up with some collapsable card stuff...

Offline Tordenskjold

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 08:05:11 PM »
Beautiful minis. But WHY must they use that ridiculous scale?! Nobody plays 54mm, NOBODY!!!!! It pains me to see such lovely sculpting talent gomto waste kn a project that shoots itself in the foot right from the get go, but maybe I'm just too cynical.

Offline wolivant

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 10:11:22 AM »
Yep, agreed on the scale issue, bad choice, it means new scenics, big playing area or tiny games and storage issues....

Fantastic minis though, but why not 25/28mm. The robots and 'stuff' can then be used by 15/20mm games too... <addressing my needs obviously :o)>

Wolt

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Weird War Malifaux, with even more mucked-up proportions on the minis. Newp.

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 05:28:28 PM »
Beautiful minis, (as you'd expect from the people who brought you the now sadly defunct Smog) but I don't think I could face building the requisite 54mm scenery (been there with Inquisitor & the stuff's so big it made storage a nightmare). Maybe if they (or someone) came up with some collapsable card stuff...

I was worried at first, then saw it is played on a 2' x 2' board - and then thought "Italieri kits!"

I am definitely in. :)
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
As Vermis says the proportions of some of the figures look decidedly odd but that being said, some of those figures might look pretty good in Inquisitor warbands (which I don't play but I do collect). The Soviets could perhaps make good Vostroyan based characters.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain

It’s clearly Weird War stuff…. You can tell by the use of the Canadian flag ;)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline dr beard

• Student
    • Major Ballusp Hobby Shed
I remember seeing the minis at Salute 2011 when Mauser Earth was Smart Max's sideline and SMOG was their principal range. As far as I can see all of the minis in the Kickstarter have been around for a good few years and have changed ownership at least once in that time.

Many of them are lovely looking and I toyed with the idea of collecting these. But the scale was the deal breaker for me and will be the deal breaker for most people. 1/48th would have been better if they wanted to go bigger.  The other issue is how much new stuff will be released in the future to keep the game alive?  People have been saying the same about this range for years - if it was 28 or 30mm they'd clean up.

Interesting that both the fluff for this and Konflict'47 now use the Diesel punk tag rather than Weird War. Remembering the Projetk X range and then going through AE:WW2 and SOTR it's noticeable how many of these games keep all the same themes and units to the point where they're all a bit samey. I'm not against this as it's just a sign that people want to see certain themes in their games, but it seems there's a bit of a lack of originality now.

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 05:49:49 PM »
Beautiful minis. But WHY must they use that ridiculous scale?! Nobody plays 54mm, NOBODY!!!!! It pains me to see such lovely sculpting talent gomto waste kn a project that shoots itself in the foot right from the get go, but maybe I'm just too cynical.
I play it.  Our group plays it.  WWII, ACW, Fantasy, Supers, Old West, AWI, modern.
There's a significant number of people that play the one real scale.
- Scott

Offline Tordenskjold

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
I play it.  Our group plays it.  WWII, ACW, Fantasy, Supers, Old West, AWI, modern.
There's a significant number of people that play the one real scale.

HERESY!!!

I did go overboard for effect. I still think the market is limited, certainly if compared to 28mm minis.

Offline Not yet dead

• Librarian
    • Not Yet Dead Miniatures - Surviving the Zompoc in miniature
I pledged for the KS, but alas the guys cancelled it before it finished - I think because the rules were not in english!!

I have been playing in 1/35 scale with a modern zombie apocalypse setting for a few years now, and the size of the table (dining-room size) is not a hinderence at all. The scale makes the figures really pop out and at this scale you can still have about 100 zombies and survivors on the table.

I have started to build a few minis in 1/35 for my up and coming weird war II wargaming table which will include the usual stuff, SS Witches, Sturmaffen, Evil Doktor, Tesla and Vril weapons, Flying saucer, Nazi-Zombies, werewolves etc...

OK, in this scale you can´t do the D-Day landings (unles you are completly bananas).. but small skirmish sized games are easily done.

And of course in the scale you have a HUGE amount of WW II models to choose from, and a couple of manufactures are now producing weird war stuff.

Also if you look at what is coming (scale wise) out on the market atm with 32 or 35/37mm stuff, you are nearly at 1/48 scale anyway.

Just my 2 (european) cents worth

Toni

Not Yet Dead Miniatures - Surviving the Zompoc in miniature... http://www.nyd-miniatures.com