Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:33:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Walking Dead No Sanctuary Kickstarter 35mm Miniatures  (Read 6973 times)

Offline Marauderman

• Librarian
The Walking Dead No Sanctuary Kickstarter 35mm Miniatures
« on: July 19, 2016, 01:01:15 PM »
Hi I couldn't see any thing in the Post-Apocalyptic Section regards this new Kickstarter, so I have posted a link for those who might not be aware that its started. The miniatures in the game are 35mm.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/the-walking-dead-no-sanctuary
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 01:10:43 PM by Marauderman »

Offline freewargamesrules

• Librarian
Re: The Walking Dead No Sanctuary Kickstarter 35mm Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 04:47:02 PM »
Quite expensive for the base pledge  :o

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 05:51:14 PM »
Quite expensive for the base pledge  :o

But you get TWO Daryl figures, identically posed but one has an axe and one has a knife.  And you get the opportunity to buy a Lori figure!

I'm currently pledged, but not very impressed.   The 'same' poses for the rivals and zombies is bad in my opinion.   I know it is a board game and I unfortunately look at things from a miniatures gaming perspective.  I also know I have enough painted zombies and ganger figures to not need what this comes with, but that is part of the problem (for me).  Hopefully my perception of 'value' changes before the end.   
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 06:51:06 PM »
But you get TWO Daryl figures, identically posed but one has an axe and one has a knife.  And you get the opportunity to buy a Lori figure!

I'm currently pledged, but not very impressed.   The 'same' poses for the rivals and zombies is bad in my opinion.   I know it is a board game and I unfortunately look at things from a miniatures gaming perspective.  I also know I have enough painted zombies and ganger figures to not need what this comes with, but that is part of the problem (for me).  Hopefully my perception of 'value' changes before the end.  

I was in for a little bit, but backed out.  Same reasons.  I'm already in the Mantic Walking Dead Kickstarter and have more zombies than I will ever need.  Just didn't see a real reason to stick with it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 06:52:46 PM by wellender »

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 07:02:16 PM »
Do we need another WD kickstarter game so soon?

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 07:04:49 PM »
I guess the scale's to draw in Zombicide players, but impractical for use in zombie skirmish games (how many companies make 35mm zombies cheaply, or similarly, who keeps around a load of 35mm modern terrain)?

If they were 28mm I'd maybe pick some up to supplement the missing models from the Studio Miniatures *not Walking Dead line up. Whilst Mantic is making 28mm stuff, I'm not into their chunky style for individual characters by and large. =/

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 07:06:44 PM »
It's actually two different versions.  The Mantic one was the comic book version only.  This one by Cryptozoic is the TV show only.  They appeal to two different audiences.  I have friends that like the show but have never read and never will read the books.

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 09:41:54 PM »
I'm still in, but I just don't think I'll stick with it until the end.  There's a graphic on the front page showing the rewards with 35 zombies but only two sculpts.  That's pretty off-putting to  a mini gamer.  Plus, I just don't need any more zombie rules.  More figures are always welcome, but I just don't need the rest of the game.

I guess the scale's to draw in Zombicide players, but impractical for use in zombie skirmish games (how many companies make 35mm zombies cheaply, or similarly, who keeps around a load of 35mm modern terrain)?

I agree the scale was probably to appeal to zombicide players, but it might also be to differentiate themselves from Mantic's game.  It would have been interesting to see what would have happened to this if they had been the first one out of the gate.

On the terrain though, it really depends on how you built your collection.  At least half of my modern buildings come from either O Scale model railroad kits or the old Dust plastic buildings.  Both of which actually look better with 32/35mm figures than they do with true 28mm figures.  To top that off I (and I'm sure a lot of other players) built their model car collection with 1/43 die cast cars which make 28mm figures look positively tiny.

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 12:30:16 AM »
It's actually two different versions.  The Mantic one was the comic book version only.  This one by Cryptozoic is the TV show only.  They appeal to two different audiences.  I have friends that like the show but have never read and never will read the books.

Point well made, but, really, they are the same franchise. There are, I understand, a few differences like Darryl is only in the TV series but it's pretty much the same thing. Oh yeah, the miniatures here are in 35mm scale as opposed to the Mantic Games ones which are 30mm so that’s okay then.

Actually, I think the big difference is in  the way the game will play out; the AMC game seems to be focused on the cardplay as a major mechanism. From what I can tell, the leader draws and plays one of two Event cards (for a positive effect) and discards the other (for a negative effect). The players then  react by plaingy action cards that either match the colour of the played Event card or not. If not, then the leader gets stress, something that all characters have to manage in the game. At certain times, the group has to resolve group tension and do or discard things.

I'm not sure there really are a lot of significant decision points as regards the card play. It's likely, based on the video on the campaign page, that players will just do whatever they were going to do anyway regardless of how the card play affected the overall group dynamic.

The USD$115 entry point (plus shipping) makes this is an easy one not to back.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 09:35:51 AM »
A couple of the expansion packs look interesting just for the figures. Hopefully they'll be sold separately once the game hits retail.

However, $125 for the base pledge ($115 was the early bird deal), the silly scale choice and the lack of poses make this an easy one to avoid.

On a personal gripe note - I know it's a board game, but surely by now the manufacturers of these games know there's a wider audience for these things. A bit more thought on their part would have pulled in a lot more people (probably including me) :(

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 11:09:02 PM »
I am still, but also unsure. The price tag seems pretty high for what I'll get. Next to that, the stretch goals, which could have been a saving grace, do not really seem to ad that much. At least not for me. I'll just wait and see, though here is some stiff competition at the moment.
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 02:04:58 PM »
The project is bleeding backers and $$$$ this morning.   As I type this it is down 15 backers and $4.2k.   If that continues it may go under the 'funded' level.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 07:55:06 PM »
$10K now. I dropped to a $1 pledge. The game just doesn't cut it for the price. Too expensive, waaaaaaay too many duplicate sculpts, subpar models and (IMO) too much going on in the gameplay for me.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 09:00:07 PM »
Weird.  Did something happen yesterday?

Gotta say though, I might just be in that crowd too before the end.  Trying to get to my workbench today and I had to step over my my almost untouched Mercs Recon box and then hop over a huge almost equally untouched Zombicide Black Plague box just to sit down.  I hate to admit it, but I might just have reached full KS reward saturation.  I always wondered what I'd run out of first: money, space or my wife's patience.  Looks like it was space. lol

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 08:59:18 AM »
It has now dropped below the funding level :o

$246,533 funded of the $250,000 target, with 6 days to go.

Could be a close one o_o