Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:31:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Walking Dead No Sanctuary Kickstarter 35mm Miniatures  (Read 6975 times)

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
Re: The Walking Dead No Sanctuary Kickstarter 35mm Miniatures
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 10:04:34 AM »
93 Early Birds left - that is a huge exodus.

Could prompt a influx of new pledges or alternatively, might just get other folk with regular pledges to downgrade and save ten bucks.

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 10:45:57 PM »
I always wondered what I'd run out of first: money, space or my wife's patience.  Looks like it was space. lol

Seems like the best option. Now spendmMoney to build more space, to further test your wife's patience.

I haven't ran out of space yet, but with the Kickstarters that should still arrive it will get crowded in my man cave...  Both other options somehow did also did not yet present a bottleneck... I think we should consider ourselves very lucky :)
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 06:56:19 AM »
Cryptozoic has redesigned the pledge levels! $75 for the base game plus SG's, and $115 EB gets you the base game (with all eight characters), both expansions, and other goodies!

Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 07:05:44 AM »
Excellent move and I think the new pledges are of good value. But I will stick at $1 and wait until the Pledge Manager to see if I want anything they're offering by then. Hopefully there are better shots of the actual PVC casts...
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 10:33:38 AM »
The changes to the structure of the rewards have really made a difference to the "value" now.

Great to see the character packs available as miniatures add ons, especially at the prices under the KS. Nice to get these iconic character figures from a company that actually pays for the IP as opposed to just ripping it off.

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 06:24:41 PM »
Damnit!  That is a better deal.  Now I'll have to think harder about staying in or getting out.

It must have been what people wanted, they made up the losses and then some.  I guess it's a good to see some crowdfunding democracy in action. 

Here's my worrying thought: The current bundle is clearly going to cost more per pledge to produce/deliver.  So did Cryptozoic just cut into an overly padded margin, or did they cut a small margin razor thin and now risk being in the "this campaign is going to cost more that we raised" trap that so many other companies have fallen into.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 09:47:59 PM »
Seems they were going to hit big box retail (WalMart/Target types) with the standee version regardless.   Version with minis is for 'hobby shops'. 

From that perspective I think they are counting on retail sales to make up any shortcomings they have from the KS, but KS is giving them the needed upfront capital to bring it to market.

Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 06:53:55 AM »
While I've had the same thoughts, with Crypto having retail markets and KS experience, I think they have enough company funds to give them leeway for project expenses. I also think Crypto assumes retail sales will make up for any losses on this project. Certainly Crypto wants to keep (and improve) its reputation on KS for future licensed games, so, I expect, would absorb any losses on this project. I haven't heard complaints about Crypto fulfillment in their KS projects like I have for another miniature company I'm familiar with.

Anne Cooper, part of the Reaper "Paint Crew", painted these mini's for Crypto to display at San Diego Comic Con.

More pics: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/70027-the-walking-dead-no-sanctuary-miniatures/

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 06:58:56 AM »
Saw these on Monday and her photos were one of the reasons I dropped to $1. It's not the paintjob, but the casting. Apparently this is a master casting, not a PVC casting. Already the detail is on the soft/shallow side and they stick to very realistic proportions (which often translate badly to miniatures). I am worried that the PVC casts are not very good in comparison of what we (miniatures gamers) are used to. And as the miniatures are the main reason I am backing...I dropped the pledge to $1.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 01:10:49 PM »
Yeah, as resin masters, those have very soft detail.  Faces are almost featureless.  Once made into plastic it can only be worse.   

I'm going to have to think about this one.  I currently have an Early Bird pledge but really don't need a bunch of faceless main characters.   Some things (like Michone's katana) are going to be really bendy in plastic too.   

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 10:13:46 PM »
Lemme see if I can get a few words from Anne. In a PM she sent me, she *really* liked these resin masters, and seemed to be on a tight schedule for painting the mini's.

EDIT:  Copypasta from BGG. I figure if a Reaper staff painter and AMC are good with it, I might as well be!  ::)

Quote from: Pashmina
Hi! Thanks everyone!

Regarding the quality of the figures, the ones I painted were resin masters. I haven't personally seen the final figures material in person, but I think they will be really good. Particularly, because AMC was overseeing the likeness factor so heavily on the master sculpts. I can't imagine they would go through all that effort to release a final product that wasn't up to par.

I do wish I had had abit more time for painting (2 weeks for 13 figures -marathon!) and was better at photography :). And in retrospect I should have photographed before starting as well to share more of the process. I think the before shots would assuage peoples' concerns.

The clear bases don't come with the game, I made them separately as I found in the course of painting some of the duplicates were to be given to the actors. I was afraid with the masters being so delicate they would break on them. I seriously was over the moon at the picture with them!

One thing I really liked about these miniatures were the more realistic proportions. Yes, it is more challenging to paint faces (and eyes under hat brims, it's all about the hats!), that are smaller but the overall feel of the figure is more like painting a small sculpture, if that makes any sense. Stephan did a fantastic job with these figures. My painting skills don't do enough justice to his work.

I do like Mantic's figures that portray the characters from the graphic novels as well and I think for Walking Dead fans who are into both the show and the graphic novels, these are great compliments to have. Having read the graphic novels, the show is more like an alternate universe setting.

I have some additional photos of different angles of the figures here: http://minicreatures.blogspot.com/

EDIT: Anne mentioned Update 3 had some pics. For those who joined later, lookatemgo! :zombie:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/the-walking-dead-no-sanctuary/posts/1630728?lang=de

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:56:58 AM by ced1106 »

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 10:50:11 PM »
Kinda underwhelmed all the way around.  Dont care for the gameplay, not happy with the odd scale, minis are lackluster in any event, not enough variety to zeds, still kinda expensive given the above, I dropped my pledge.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 06:56:42 AM »
I'll just wait unti we see big pictures of the actual PVC casts, not these tiny pictures which don't say anything about the quality.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2016, 03:47:33 AM »
(deleted old info)

« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 04:17:46 PM by ced1106 »

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2016, 08:50:44 PM »
Quote from: BGG

Regarding the quality of the figures, the ones I painted were resin masters. I haven't personally seen the final figures material in person, but I think they will be really good. Particularly, because AMC was overseeing the likeness factor so heavily on the master sculpts. I can't imagine they would go through all that effort to release a final product that wasn't up to par.

Meh, that's a lot of hope and assumptions.  I don't think any company intends to put out sub-par miniatures but yet they sometimes do.  Even zombicide figure detail slipped in season 2 and some of season 3.

And no I don't trust that  AMC is going to backstop or assure the detail of the final PVC figures.  Like other licensors behind KS game campaigns, I suspect they'll at best be neutral or possibly a hindrance.

Like others, I haven't seen a campaign where the final PVC figures match the detail of the resin masters, so if the masters are a little soft, the PVC figures will be even softer.  Don't get me wrong, the painted masters look fine, but I don't have much faith that the final figures will look like that.

I'm still holding my pledge, but I suspect I'll drop to a $1 before the end and hope pictures of the production figures make it out before the pledge manager closes.