Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:03:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Non-wandering monsters  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Bishop Cockthrottle

• Bookworm
Non-wandering monsters
« on: July 21, 2016, 07:15:19 AM »
As my opponent and I approach the Final Showdown with the Liche Lord we have been discussing if there have been any particular rules we would change and the main one is how Wandering Monsters act when they come onto the board.

In our last game 6 Monsters ended up on the same board edge - only one actually engaged either warband (it was Immaterial so did the floaty thing) as they pinged around terrain aimlessly while a major battle was taking place out of LOS but very close to them.

My gaming partner has played Zombiecide and suggested Monsters would be drawn to the sounds of battle or spells (Grenade/E Bolt etc) - I thought that Animals would be drawn to human sounds (food) but would shun explosions etc.

I also like the Spawning site idea where Monsters can appear within the terrain.

What are your thoughts?

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
Re: Non-wandering monsters
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 07:29:33 AM »
Take a look at Dark Alchemy which uses slightly different rules for how 'wandering' monsters move.

Offline JohnDSD2

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 08:27:00 AM »
There are also, some alternate rules for the initial placement of wanderers in the new Breeding Pits supplement, that I think could make a difference.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 08:46:29 AM »
We determine that Wandering Monsters start 2d6 inches in a random direction from the treasure token. It means they start closer to the action.

Plus the first monster turns up on an 18 , the next on a 17, the next on a 16 etc...

Offline Roger

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 09:23:18 PM »
We get a draw from the monster deck as soon as you touch the treasure,and it turns up within 6" and/or nearest to the person that touches it. we have a few doubles in there,ie 2 skellies,rats,wolves,etc, all the easy/ish ones ( he said hopefully ) and a few blanks.

Roger
You know its a good day when, you wake up and your elbows dont hit wood :)

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 06:40:46 AM »
Take a look at Dark Alchemy which uses slightly different rules for how 'wandering' monsters move.

That was one (of several) reasons I find Dark Alchemy so enjoyable Joe

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 06:41:37 AM »
There are also, some alternate rules for the initial placement of wanderers in the new Breeding Pits supplement, that I think could make a difference.

I am taking BP on holiday today to have a good look through so thanks for the pointer

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 06:43:48 AM »
We determine that Wandering Monsters start 2d6 inches in a random direction from the treasure token. It means they start closer to the action.

Plus the first monster turns up on an 18 , the next on a 17, the next on a 16 etc...

Random distance sounds good

We started subtracting 1 for every treasure some time ago - the beggars still don't turn up sometimes...

This must be one of the few games where "annoying random disruptive monsters" are positively welcomed!

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 06:45:50 AM »
We get a draw from the monster deck as soon as you touch the treasure,and it turns up within 6" and/or nearest to the person that touches it. we have a few doubles in there,ie 2 skellies,rats,wolves,etc, all the easy/ish ones ( he said hopefully ) and a few blanks.

Roger

I have the monster table on cards ready to be laminated so must get on with that

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 06:49:39 AM »
The other wrinkle I wanted to use was having some groups of monsters ("thinking ones") acting together - the first time we had 4 Death Cultists appear  it was scary right up until the moment they all shot off in different directions allowing us to pick them off piecemeal. Having them act like together is a much more worrying and would look like a kung-fu movie as opponents wait their turn to attack!