Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:02:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley at MichiCon 2016 The Return of Doctor Munro 7/25 The Leagues  (Read 4801 times)

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 01:10:56 AM by oabee »
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
Re: Pulp Alley at MichiCon 2016 The Return of Doctor Munro AAR Pic Heavy
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 06:38:00 AM »
Priceless!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 10:49:08 AM »
Whew, whatta fight!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 11:36:11 AM »
MichiCon... :D Seems thta I have missed something! Excellent AAR!!!

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 12:46:48 PM »
MichiCon... :D Seems thta I have missed something! Excellent AAR!!!

lol lol lol

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 01:45:32 PM »
Beautifully done, lovely table & minis!

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 02:03:34 PM »
Looks superb!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 09:33:22 PM »
WOW! Fantastic looking Pulp Alley game.

THANKS so much for sharing you pics! Don't forget to collect your well-earned Phantom Agent card. How many are you up to this year?

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
Re: Pulp Alley at MichiCon 2016 The Return of Doctor Munro: the Leagues
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 01:07:35 AM »
The leagues I am using for Pulp Alley are largely transplants from In Her Majesty’s Name, which explains the Victorian Sci Fi genre set in the year 1895. Some of my leagues are based on IHMN companies I created myself. I thought a listing of some of the leagues/companies might be of interest, as many can be translated into different eras. When I produced the lists for IHMN, I often altered the name of some historical persons and organizations where it was feared copyright issues might ensue. No such effort has been taken below, except with the Pinkertons, whose historical names I forgot to restore when I created the Pulp Alley league!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Dr.Munro is also historically based, inspired by the Empire of the Dead's Burke and Hare minis: In the 1820s, William Burke and William Hare decided to go into the business of selling cadavers to anatomists at Edinburgh University. Having murdered their first victim, they asked for directions to Professor Alexander Monro, but were directed to an assistant of Dr. Robert Knox instead. Thus Professor Monro escaped the public censure that descended on Knox when the string of murders for anatomy class cadavers became known. I just liked the name Monro better than Knox, and changed the spelling because, well, I just thought it looked better.   :D

Forschungsgruppe (Research Group)
This was based on actual Victorian-era German archaeologists Gustaf Kossinna (37 years old in 1895) and Ludwig Borchardt (32). Kossinna’s nationalistic theories of the origins of the Germanic peoples were an influence on Nazi ideology. Borchardt’s excavations at Armana turned up the famous bust of Nefertiti. Other characters are stolen from Indiana Jones films: Elsa Shneider, Arnold Toht, and Ernst Vogel. The league uses their archaeological cover to covertly work for the Thule Society, a German occult and nationalistic group actually founded in 1911.

The Golden Dawn

The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn was a British organization devoted to the occult and paranormal activities. It was established around 1888 in London. The main characters in the league are all historical members: Florence Farr (35), actress and musician; Bram Stoker (48), author of Dracula; and W. B. Yeats (30), Irish poet and dramatist (I used a couple of his quotes in the AAR). Other characters in the IHMN company were Maude Gonne (31), an Irish revolutionary and actress, and Dr. Edward Berridge (52), a pioneer in homeopathy. I don’t believe they really roamed the streets in red hooded robes, but for our purposes they do just fine. I have turned them into a cult of the goddess Isis.

The Pinkertons

My Pinkertons league is based on some historical figures: Beaumont Judd (32) is fictional, the bastard child of US ambassador to Prussia Norman Judd, and Cora Pearl, the famous French courtesan, who are quite historical, although their liaison is not. James “Jimmy” McKenna was the cover name for James McParland (52), an Ulsterman who infiltrated the Molly Maguires in Pennsylvania. Tom Horner is really the notorious Tom Horn (35), scout, detective, lawman, gun for hire. He was hung in 1903 (whether rightly or wrongly is still in dispute) for the murder of Willie Nickell. Other Pinkertons in the IHMN company included Frank Dimauro, based on Francis Dimaio (31), who infiltrated the Mafia in prison in New Orleans, and Kate Flynne who is based on Kate Warne, who at the age of 23 in 1856 became the first female detective in the USA.

The League of Southern Gentlemen
The concept of the League of Southern Gentlemen was stolen directly from the first IHMN Supplement, Heroes, Villains, and Thieves. I altered the character names, choosing names of actual Confederate soldiers I found here: https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/soldiers-and-sailors-database.htm
I just kept looking until I found some cool names.

Now for the totally non-historical:

The Brotherhood
When I first saw Empire of the Dead’s Brotherhood miniatures, I fell in love with them, and they’ve been in every convention game I’ve GMed since I painted them. I just gave them a story line and names that seemed appropriate.

Capt. Wolf and the Sky Pirates

I always meant to make an IHMN company of Sky Pirates, so transferring the fine Pulp Alley figures into such a league seemed natural. My Montana Annie (actually Pulp Girl!) and Phantom Ace minis were actually both painted by Mila! I am working on Ironclad Miniature’s model #Steam12 to give them their own skyship, which I hope to work into a future scenario.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 12:19:41 PM by oabee »

Offline AncientOne

• Schoolboy
Magnificently done!

Now tell me your secret.  How or what did you use to put that skillful piece or publication together? 

Cheers

John

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
Magnificently done!

Now tell me your secret.  How or what did you use to put that skillful piece or publication together?  

Cheers

John

Thanks for your kind comments. The software I use is Comic Life 3, which is available for a 30-day free trial. It takes a bit of getting used to, so I would recommend downloading the User's Guide, but it's a great little program which gives you tons of different looks for your presentation. I've tried a different look for this report: my previous AAR's looked like this:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=87073.0

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
great report - love it!  thanks for sharing.  who makes zara, florence farr, and beaumont judd (great for john steed from avengers tv show)?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
I'm not sure about that figure, but there's a Crooked Dice not-John Steed: http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product/heroes-2/

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
great report - love it!  thanks for sharing.  who makes zara, florence farr, and beaumont judd (great for john steed from avengers tv show)?

Florence Farr is Hassefree Miniatures' Lenore. They also have a "dynamic" version of Lenore. Those are available as resin masters or in metal. There is also a "skyclad"  :-* version of the dynamic Lenore in resin.

Zara is Adrianna the Gypsy from Harwood Hobbies.

And Beau Judd is from the Artizan Designs "Bat Masterson and Dodge City Marshalls" pack. (McKenna is from Artizan's Lawmen 1 pack, and Horner from Artizans Pinkertons 2 pack)

Hope that helps! Thanks for your interest, and for your nice comments.  :D

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
That is double awesome!
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"