Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:41:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Any one got experience with Coat d'Arms Ink Washes?  (Read 2276 times)

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
Any one got experience with Coat d'Arms Ink Washes?
« on: July 24, 2016, 09:50:00 AM »
Heya

I've been getting into tinting and underpainting lately, and have been searching for some inks, akin to the ones citadel used to make back in the 90'ies/early 2000's (Before they made their washes) - Viscuous, strongly pigmented and saturated and a little gloss. The likes of Flesh Wash, Chestnut Ink and so forth.

Coat d'Arms get a good rep from most people, and I've been considering switching some of my paints to them, and in this case getting their Ink set (as available on offer from Black Hat). But I wanted to ask you guys if any of you have any experiences with them?
Are they anything like the old citadel inks? Or should I get something else?
I've been hearing mixed things from various sporadic google-searches.

Cheers!

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: Any one got experience with Coat d'Arms Ink Washes?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 11:41:04 AM »
They are made by the same factory that made Citadel paints and inks in the 90s and who make Foundry paints today.
If you want to replicate Citadel inks from this period:

They are identical in composition if not in colour (there is no match for the orangey flesh wash for example)

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 11:54:06 AM »
I tried the CdA Flesh Wash and thought it was dire. Not tried the rest though. I'd recommend the Vallejo Game Inks which I find similar to the old GW inks. Perhaps not as glossy.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 12:21:17 PM »
Thought I'd better check if what I remembered was correct...

Quick test on a grey primed goblin, that had previously been washed with Army Painter Strong Tone. Colours as seen on bottles - red on sword is Citadel, red on hood is Vallejo, CdA Flesh Wash on body and ground, Vallejo Flesh Wash on shield.

CdA Flesh Wash nothing like other brand inks; it seems to me more like a very, very thin paint. Might have its uses (baby poo?) but not as a tinting ink. Vallejo Flesh Wash acts as I remember Citadel Flesh Wash, but couldn't say on colour match. Vallejo red ink covers more consistently than the Citadel Plasma Red, but Plasma Red was always a bit rubbish. I remember later Citadel red inks were an improvement.

But as I said, I've never tried the other CdA inks so they may be better (and hopefully inkier!) than the Flesh Wash.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:24:37 PM by Andrew Rae »

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 12:36:00 PM »

CdA Flesh Wash nothing like other brand inks; it seems to me more like a very, very thin paint. Might have its uses (baby poo?) but not as a tinting ink. Vallejo Flesh Wash acts as I remember Citadel Flesh Wash, but couldn't say on colour match. Vallejo red ink covers more consistently than the Citadel Plasma Red, but Plasma Red was always a bit rubbish. I remember later Citadel red inks were an improvement.

But as I said, I've never tried the other CdA inks so they may be better (and hopefully inkier!) than the Flesh Wash.

Thanks for testing - This seem to match what I've been reading elsewhere - The Coat'd Arms flesh wash seems rather poor for what I want to use it for. I'll grab a Vallejo ink or two tomorrow and give it a try, I think. 
It's always tricky getting the right paint without a chance to try it out first, not made easier by gw's constant cycling of names and recipees.

Liquitex is apparantly recommended as well, but I dont have an easy way of aquiring that, so I am hoping Valejo covers what I need.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 01:04:05 PM »
If I understand correctly what you're intending, I think the Vallejo inks will do you well. This guy was primed grey, washed with AP Dark Tone, drybrushed grey through to white, then given a glaze of undiluted green ink to give a consistent coat. Gives good coverage with care.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 01:17:43 PM »
If I understand correctly what you're intending, I think the Vallejo inks will do you well. This guy was primed grey, washed with AP Dark Tone, drybrushed grey through to white, then given a glaze of undiluted green ink to give a consistent coat. Gives good coverage with care.

That is pretty much the idea. Looks pretty promising. I've been using the previous crop of GW washes (which are great), but remember the old Inks as having richer colours - A bit harder to control, but very good for tinting.
The green in your example does look like what I am going for.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 03:21:19 PM »
That is pretty much the idea. Looks pretty promising. I've been using the previous crop of GW washes (which are great), but remember the old Inks as having richer colours - A bit harder to control, but very good for tinting.
The green in your example does look like what I am going for.

On a slight tangent, I was quite miffed when GW discontinued their green ink. I was told In a GW store I could dilute dark green to get the same colour, and was never able to match the effect it gave.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 01:47:19 PM »
On a slight tangent, I was quite miffed when GW discontinued their green ink. I was told In a GW store I could dilute dark green to get the same colour, and was never able to match the effect it gave.

I hear you. I've been burned multiple times by GW discontinuing colours I use heavily in all of my paintjobs: Mechrite Red, Bestial Brown, Dark Angels Green, Kommando Khaki, Bleached Bone, Devlan Mud and so on and so forth. I find their current range to thick and plastic-y, as well as to quick drying, to be of any use at all so I've abandoned their paints entirely.

My local dealer didn't have the Game Colour Inks, so Ill have to order those from somewhere. To tide me over, I ended up buying a sample of P3's Turqoise Ink. From what Ive had time to test, I am pretty happy with it. I'll post an example tomorrow-ish.