Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:02:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 789
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Age of Frostgrave  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Steelwraith

• Bookworm
Age of Frostgrave
« on: August 06, 2016, 12:24:24 AM »
My group is really into Age of Sigmar, and I've thought it would be a cool idea to try a bit of Frostgravery using Age of Sigmar. I have most of the materials for both systems. The group wants to continue using AoS (which I do like), and I want to run the skirmish stuff and have the flavour of Frostgrave (which I fell in love with as soon as I saw the ads for it). If anyone has any thoughts on how to step-up a Narrative Campaign, I would be really appreciative.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
Re: Age of Frostgrave
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 04:23:15 AM »
If I'm following you correctly, you want to use Age of Sigmar rules for a Frostgrave setting?

Offline Gardensnake

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 05:27:07 AM »
I don't really know much about the Age of Sigmar rules but if they're anything like Warhammer Fantasy's rules, I'd suggest looking for a copy of the Mordheim rules to add for advancing your wizards.

William
Until such time as Congress stops being a ridiculous farce, comedy is utterly acceptable at their hearings.
Sean Patrick Fannon

Offline Steelwraith

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 09:41:32 PM »
That's exactly it, I want to use Age of Sigmar rules to play Frostgrave, as my gaming group does not wish to change systems, however I want the Frostgravery vibe for the campaign. Using the Mordheim rules to advance the Wizards sounds good to me, and I actually still have my copy of the book when I bought the box set. How should I create the other henchies, though? I was considering the idea of using a system whereby one buys their warband using a number of points, based on the General's Handbook, and adding Henchies to supplement with special abilities. I also thought the Henchies being characters, but not 'Leaders', as defined by the 'General's Handbook', should have say 3 Wounds, as opposed to the standard 5 Wounds an AoS wizard would have.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 11:37:16 PM »
Have you or any of your group picked up the generals handbook? It has a few guides on different campaign/prpgression systems and a small list of artefacts and relics to win and use.

You could go full frostgrave and limit your armies to two heroes and two basic infantray units for a much smaller game. Your heroes hero abilities will mimic the spells of wizards and your battle line units could be broken up into smaller sub units for the purpose of acting out smaller games with more maneuverability?
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 05:58:18 PM »
That's exactly it, I want to use Age of Sigmar rules to play Frostgrave, as my gaming group does not wish to change systems, however I want the Frostgravery vibe for the campaign. Using the Mordheim rules to advance the Wizards sounds good to me, and I actually still have my copy of the book when I bought the box set. How should I create the other henchies, though? I was considering the idea of using a system whereby one buys their warband using a number of points, based on the General's Handbook, and adding Henchies to supplement with special abilities. I also thought the Henchies being characters, but not 'Leaders', as defined by the 'General's Handbook', should have say 3 Wounds, as opposed to the standard 5 Wounds an AoS wizard would have.

I think that a good start would be to use the Empire list for warband construction.  I forget if AoS incorporated two levels of wizard within the list, but if so, there is your Wizard and Apprentice.  One option would be to create a list of spells from all of the casters within the game, toss out the spells that would be too overpowered, and allow each Wizard to choose X number of spells from the list  You could even break up the spells into schools of magic as you see fit.

Regarding the soldiers, you could go the Frostgrave route and use the basic Empire soldiers (swordsmen, halberdiers, spearmen, crossbowmen, etc.) to represent every race, but with different weapon options.  GW is going to (finally) release a points system, so you could also use other races, I suppose.

Your biggest problem is creating some sort of campaign advancement system.  I haven't played Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower, but this might be a worthy investment.  I think the heroes were designed to be compatible with AoS, so you might be able to get some good ideas for hero advancement there.  Perhaps someone who played Silver Tower could weigh in.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 07:57:26 PM »
The generals handbook has a warband builder allowing you to create small warbands (a warband of characters/single models units is completely playable) and has rules for campaign advancement, achievement ,promotion ect.

It does however lack the rules for empire units, but these are still available online and a little poking around would solve you (maybe just proxy the stormcast rules with empire units?)

(as a side note, if you wanted to run an old fashioned realm of chaos style warband campaign, AOS is the system for it.The hero phase suits that kind of magic chaotic narrative and it doesn't need to same fat trimming as warhammer fantasy to be played as a skirmish system)