Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:43:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Doctor Who miniatures - Warlord  (Read 7452 times)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Doctor Who miniatures - Warlord
« on: July 27, 2016, 07:07:22 PM »
I had a look around but I don't see this anywhere else on the LAF. It looks like Warlord are about to launch the first Doctor Who figures. £20 for five metal miniatures with the 10th and 12th Doctors up first.

From the Warlord email:

Last year we announced that Warlord Games have secured the licence to produce a miniatures game based on the BBC's enormously popular TV series, Doctor Who. Since then we've been tirelessly researching episodes both new and old, sculpting miniatures and working back and forth with the BBC to ensure the results are completely authentic.

The licence covers not just the latest series of Doctor Who but encompasses all of the Doctors, their companions and their foes, spanning more than fifty years - so look out for long scarves and jelly babies as well as sonic sunglasses!

We are pleased to present the first releases available for pre-order. The models are high quality pewter castings, officially approved by the BBC. Our forthcoming range will also include plastic Daleks, Cybermen and Unit troopers, as well as many more pewter figures.

End

Note the plastics!

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Re: Doctor Who miniatures - Warlord
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 07:55:31 PM »
Yeah, I got the email too. The plastic sets do  indeed sound like a godsend.

However, click through the linky to see the actual minis in the 10th Doctor set - no pics of 12th Doc set as yet.

http://store.warlordgames.com/collections/doctor-who

You'll need to click into the pre-order section to view.

They are Fuggly. With the exception of a couple of the companions, I think they've really missed the boat on these.  :(

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 08:20:12 PM »
The 10th doctor really doen't look that bad. But I got the Heresy 9th, 10th and 11th doctor lookalikes two weeks ago and I'm really happy with that minis - I don't think I'll need those from Warlord.
I'm interested in how the rules will look like.
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 08:47:29 PM »
I agree on the figures unfortunately. They're just not my cup of tea. It was more the plastic Daleks and Cybermen I was interested in and thought would be of interest to others. I much prefer the 'inspired' by offerings from other sources. It could be a good range for aliens though.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 08:54:19 PM »
Now that is interesting! 8)

And here I am, still sitting on a couple of Crooked Dice / Heresy not-doctors and not-companions, a full magazine's worth of plastic Daleks, around 20 WotC Iron Mans (Men?) for use as Cybermen and a Fenris Police Call Box (all unfinished, obviously) after several years... ::)

Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 10:14:32 PM »
Having had a second look, I'll concede that the bare metal looks better than the painted version of Dr 10.

The figures of Martha and Rose are pretty good, but Wilf and Donna are still ropey in my opinion.

I think there is more character in the various "not" figures and while I am still looking forward to seeing the plastic sets, I can only wonder at the BBC being happy with these.

That said I'm drinking on a school night and may well have a different opinion tomorrow...

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 09:46:44 AM »
I'll be interested when they do the real Doctors... or Heavy Weapons Daleks.  :-I

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 10:09:00 AM »
Painted version of the 10th Doc looks decidedly odd. I think the Martha mini has the edge on the not-version.

Must admit I'm looking forward to plastic Cybermen coming readily available. Less bothered about Daleks as I have 60+ of the iDaleks from DWA.

Would be great if Silurians were available in numbers too.

Can't wait to see Doctors & companions from the classic series. I've got a feeling the release of classic characters will depend on how well these initial releases are received and sell. It's worrying that we are finding them a bit meh. Let's hope they release plastics soon and we buy them by the bucketload!
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 10:55:53 AM »
Please please please do a great Fourth Doctor!

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 02:35:44 PM »
Really torn about this. I'm a big Dr Who fan and as a wargamer I feel duty bound to buy the figures and game.
However, I've got every BTD figure and every not Who related figure that Heresy & Crooked Dice produced.
Do I need more plastic Daleks? Probably not and I hate painting spots. Plastic Cybermen & Sontarrans would be great though, as would newer versions of the 1st, 2nd (BTDs is not a good likeness), 5th, 6th (only one figure!) & 7th Doctors would be good.

I'd buy the 12th Doctor set, but really need to see a picture first.

Offline Vindice

• Scientist
    • And Then Dice Happened
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 08:08:43 PM »
They're... Not good.

Offline forrester

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 09:06:17 AM »
I ought to be happy about this, but...

Plenty people like myself will already have most of the character types as proxies from elsewhere; there are a couple I could use but I don't need boxed sets. And if they are much bigger than most 28mm, then that's a non-starter.

It's the "rank and file" types I'll want to see, especially new series Cybermen--I have a squad of those Microuniverse ones, but they are very slim, AND out of production.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 06:01:39 PM »

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 06:11:08 PM »
I have to say (I suppose I don't actually but it is the Internet, the place where opinions are foisted regardless of whether anyone else is interested  ;D) I much prefer the alternatives already available. They are well done in their own right but they are more like ornamental figurines than gaming miniatures.

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 09:55:24 PM »
There is a certain soulless quality to them. Technically well done and not bad likenesses but I just don't like them.