Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:54:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689716
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 768
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl Rules  (Read 5575 times)

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
Dungeon Crawl Rules
« on: July 30, 2016, 06:46:53 PM »
Hey,

I was wondering if people would links/details Dungeon Crawling rules and settings. I really miss Role playing but I'd probably like something more like a dungeon crawl or RPG lite.

Dungeon Saga: Much more of a board game, less scope for RPG but enjoyable. Two sides; heroes and overlord. Very tactical but quick to pick up. The Overlord player is encouraged to play to win.

CROM: Matakishi's game, I've only played it once. Enjoyed it but seems more random and less about character development than others. Nice system. Very much a miniatures table top game (in my opinion)

Savage Worlds: Very much a RPG, although it does allow some tactical options. I've played it quite a lot; I find it allows you to play any setting or idea. A good option but not quite what I'm looking for.

Has anyone played Dungeon Slayers?

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: Dungeon Crawl Rules
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 07:10:37 PM »
Two Hour War Games "Two Hour Dungeon Crawl" rules.  PDF$14 or Print and PDF $15.
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 07:12:13 PM »
Goalsystem Delves would be my go-to game for that role.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 07:43:40 PM »
Have you taken a look at Four against darkness? Its a solo dungeon delving game. Not intended for using miniatures, but a lot of map making, quite nice and oldschool feel to it.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 07:54:35 PM »
Song of Gold and Darkness?

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 08:04:54 PM »
Trapdoor is a fairly good game, available as both PDFs and hardcopy

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 08:07:13 PM »
Trapdoor gets my vote!

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/139366/Trapdoor

*edit: ninja'ed*  :)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 08:21:38 PM »
Trapdoor gets my vote!

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/139366/Trapdoor

*edit: ninja'ed*  :)

hard to argue with free pdfs.  lol

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 08:42:18 PM »
I've been thinking about this for a while: using Ganesha's Four Against Darkness (4AD: a solo pencil-and-paper dungeon crawler) with Song of Blades and Heroes (or perhaps Tales of Blades and Heroes). What I'd plan to do is to make large card floorpans for all the possible rooms and corridors in 4AD - and to make them really large, with each graph-paper square being a 3" x 3" square. I'd be using measuring sticks, so I wouldn't worry about having squares on the floorpans, just having them all to scale. Several of each type would be required, and probably a few odd bits and bobs, so that if all the examples of a given shape were used up, more could be assembled.

Anyway, I'd play it out like this: the players each get an 100-point character (or group of characters: a leader and a couple of henchmen, for example), while the "GM" just gets the monsters that are randomly generated by the 4AD engine. Neither side knows what the dungeon looks like, as it's just randomly generated as play progresses. But the layout of the dungeon would become increasingly important, as the GM would have scope for withdrawing monsters, regrouping and mounting pincer movements. If the PCs fled from a powerful monster, then it could come after them. The odd surviving goblin or kobold might not be much of a threat on its own, but if it retreated to where larger, fiercer friends were waiting ...

I'd use the treasure-generation system in 4AD, but match experience and cash to the points system in SBH (not sure what the conversion ratio would be offhand, but I think it would be pretty simple to do). So, characters who escaped with treasure could use that to hire henchmen or upgrade their characters (improving Q or C, adding traits, etc.). That would give a nice risk/reward ratio, as there would be a real incentive to get loot and experience, but with the wandering-monster rules from 4AD, you'd have a real risk of getting outflanked or surrounded the deeper in you delved. And I gather that 4AD now features rules covering different levels.

Another tweak that would be needed would be some sort of "contents" rule. I think the best way to do this would be to have a box of "features" (tables, plinths, statues, etc.), roll 1D6 for each room, and then have the players alternate the placing of the contents, starting with the DM.

Throughout, I'd map the whole thing on graph paper as in 4AD. While I like the idea of an endless dungeon extending across a sitting-room floor, it would be more manageable if you could remove some of the rooms but have a record of them. And 4AD imposes paper-based limits on the extent of the dungeon, which would probably work well. That would entail one more tweak - an "off-board movement" rate for monsters left behind. I doubt that would occur too often, but it could be easily rationalised to two rooms/corridors - or a given number of squares - per group. All off-board models would activate in groups and move a bit faster (a bit like Space Hulk blips).

That all sounds very complex, but I don't think it would be in practice. Both 4AD and SBH are great, simple games. But by allying one with the other, you get both an excellent random-generation system for dungeon, monsters and treasure and a superb skirmish system - so that the battles are as engrossing and tactical as any game of SBH. Also, as SBH fights are often won with routs, there would be a lot of temporary victories and then a pressing need to move on. And that's exactly as it should be. Why? Because if Moria is the classic dungeon, then there should be a lot of things in this vein:

"There was a bellow and the foot jerked back, nearly wrenching Sting from Frodo's arm. Black drops dripped from the blade and smoked on the floor. Boromir hurled himself against the door and slammed it again. ... 'Now is the time!' cried Gandalf, 'Let us go, before the troll returns!'"

Anything that gets away from "room clearing" and leads to a sprawling dungeon with monsters wandering, being driven off and regrouping would be a very good thing, I reckon.

Offline Bartman

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 08:50:54 PM »
Otherworld Skirmish is a nice mix of RPG and miniature wargaming. It definitely has an old school feel to it as well. The minis are designed with the AD&D Monster Manual in mind. Mind you, it is not necessary to use their minis to play, I use Reaper.

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 08:57:41 AM »
Hi fellas,
Which one of the aforementioned systems have a campaign rule for leveling the pg's? I'd say all of them, but I'm not so sure. Thanks a lot.
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

Offline BigB

• Librarian
    • The Ocala Garrison
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 01:50:34 AM »
While I like the Goal System Delves engine, I don't like the amount of work to spec out the baddies.

Swords & Wizardry is DnD lite...what AD&D morphed from back in the day.   Works well and you can use as much of the RPG component as you like.

Offline ImhotepMagi

• Librarian
    • Deep Dark Dungeons-A hobby blog
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 06:38:58 AM »
I use Song of Blades and Heroes and Song of gold and darkness combined withmy own dungeon crawl rules: http://deepdarkdungeons.blogspot.com/2014/03/deep-dark-dungeons-dungeon-crawl-rules.html?m=1

It's meant for a solo experiencebut could easily be played co-op.

Offline Garanhir

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 11:08:02 PM »
Coming a bit late to this thread, but I've played Dungeonslayers it's a damn fine game. Completely free, too.
A life without festivity is a long road without an inn.
-Democritus

Offline Snow^manuk

• Student
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 09:06:16 PM »
Trying Dungeon saga for the first time on Friday

I have high hopes it will be like heroquest but deeper