Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:34:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 559
Total: 566

Recent

Author Topic: Cardboard mk IV tank.(a Tinshed take on a forthcoming LaserCutCard Kit)  (Read 2029 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Neal at LaserCutCard,
Kindly sent me a pre production copy of their take on a mk IV. partly for me to critique and partly to pick my brains .
This kit isn't  complete and has a few issues .(However these are production issues not related to how you construct the kit.)which will be ironed out before release.
As I mentioned it's not complete so I've knocked up some parts that were absent.That noted including my scratch parts it only took an hour and a half to construct,and roughly the same again to get it to this stage.

It's scaled at 1/48th which at first glance looks a little uncomfortable.But once you place it a long side 28mm vehicles it looks better. So I've included a few vehicles from most of the major powers just to show how it measures up.(these vehicles are scaled at roughly 5mm to a foot)
Is it perfect ? No. But as I mentioned it's not a complete kit nor is the detailing correct for a Mk IV .However it's NOT ready but I think it's fair to say that it's passable as it stands.Once it's completed I think it's going to have a market especially when you consider pricing.As your going to be able to have three card tanks for the price of a resin vehicle.
In its current guise it's embarrassingly easy to build.okay I've a bit of a knack when it comes to mucking about with card and scratch builds.Taking this into account and the fact I built it sat an arm chair while watching tv .Its still an easy build.
when Neals finished tweaking the kit.Then this kit will be going from flat pack to built in under an hour.
Now I've written an article on scratch building building rhomboid tanks (which Neal was aware of )and I'm of the opinion that this kit will be a great alternative to scratch building as scratch building is often met with 'CBA.'
Will a card kit be as good as a resin kit ?That depends on the model as there are some shocking models out there.But that's not it's selling point.If your wanting to try something as a quick one off or have a limited budget.Then this is good option (or will be soon).
Mark.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 09:06:44 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
Re: Card mk IV tank.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 02:22:08 PM »
great painting
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Cardboard mk IV tank.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 08:28:23 PM »
Up to your usual high class! Brilliant! :-*

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Cardboard mk IV tank.(a Tinshed take on a forthcoming LaserCutCard Kit)
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 09:01:09 PM »
Cheers but for once it's not all me lol
Here's a quick pick of the ratio of rework to original parts (re works in red)