Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:20:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691080
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cutting resin - power tool of choice?  (Read 2028 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Cutting resin - power tool of choice?
« on: August 06, 2016, 07:27:42 PM »
I want to cut a pretty hefty (for 15 mm) piece of resin, a fortress wall, and wondering if others have tried this and what tool proved most successful - especially a power tool.  I figure a table saw would rip it to pieces but might try an over-arm saw (chop saw or miter saw) but thinking maybe a band saw is probably best (but I'd have to buy one) or maybe a table mounted scroll saw (again, have to buy).  Being a guy, I never mind buying another power tool.

But I'd like input from those with experience. 

Thanks to those who can help.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Cutting resin - power tool of choice?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 09:00:22 PM »
Given the reputation of resin dust I would probably say my choice would be a power tool owned (and operated) by someone else.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 09:27:01 PM »
Maybe a fine toothed ha saw or razorsaw. I'd steer clear of power tools myself. Resin dust = bad for lungs. Or so I hear

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 09:44:56 PM »
Well, the dust I can handle with a respirator - have one of those.  More concerned about destroying the item.  Was hoping not to use a hand tool because that will take a big chunk of time - and patience.  But it may come to that.  Or just building a new section of wall to match, maybe.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 09:56:40 PM »
I can't imagine that it would require more than 20 minutes with a hacksaw.
A hand saw will actually be better and safer than a power tool.

Offline Tinfoil knight

• Schoolboy
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 04:19:59 AM »
Well, the dust I can handle with a respirator - have one of those.  More concerned about destroying the item.  Was hoping not to use a hand tool because that will take a big chunk of time - and patience.  But it may come to that.  Or just building a new section of wall to match, maybe.

You will need more than a respirator unless you're doing it some where outside with the wind immediately taking the dust away. Resin dust will give you lung cancer long term and can cause immediate damage even with moderator amounts of exposure. It's not a case of putting on a mask and then taking it off later, it needs to be completely gone and any surfaces it touched wiping down with a wet cloth. That's why when people sand it they use wet sand paper which turns the dust into a paste as they sand.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 09:18:15 AM »
Many moons ago I wanted to cut out a hole in a chunk of resin so that a spare tyre could fit in (it was a 28mm APC)

I bought a bench sander from minicraft and took it and me (suitably dressed in boiler suit, respirator and safety specs) into the loft.

I did get the piece modified, but the boiler suit had to go in the bin and I'm pretty sure the dust destroyed the sander. I think I decided to throw it out rather than try to use it again, as there was so much dust in it that it was probably a fire hazard

You'll generate far more dust than you think possible, and, as others have said, it is nasty stuff. Try a hacksaw or razor saw, even if you have to cut it down in chunks. These days I try to use snips with resin. Even if it takes far longer to nibble away at the thing, I am quite fond of my lungs and hope to keep them working for a good few more years yet ;D

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 09:28:19 AM »
It's funny, we go from getting rid of lead miniatures because lead is bad to using resin which is also bad (in a different way). Full circle I guess.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 01:23:32 PM »
It's funny, we go from getting rid of lead miniatures because lead is bad to using resin which is also bad (in a different way). Full circle I guess.
Some hobbies (skydiving, hunting, adultery) can kill you quickly, ours is a slow killer, accept it, make peace with it, and enjoy yourself...  lol

As to the original question: I'd go hand tool (a good fine-toothed handsaw, maybe a metal saw?), good respirator (preferably a full face one). The only power tool I'd use is a decent shop-vac to get the dust away from me as quickly as possible.

Offline Tinfoil knight

• Schoolboy
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 07:00:23 PM »

Lead has serious social consequences. Lead in wall paint has a direct connection with lower IQs and more violent behavior. Since that's rather poor for every one it made sense to get rid of lead.

Resin on the other hand is cheap, easy to get hold of and only costs the lungs of people who abuse it. It will only be replaced when 3D printing gets good enough to do miniatures and the cost is lower than resin.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 02:39:59 AM »
But doesn't three D printing use a resin based product?   :?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 05:38:03 AM »
Some do, others just use a plastic filament.