Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:19:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Shrubbery & Tall Grass  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Shrubbery & Tall Grass
« on: January 27, 2009, 04:56:27 AM »
Quick snapshot from my worktable this evening:

The short shrubby things in the foreground are bits of a plastic plant from Michael's Crafts, based on 25mm wood discs also from Michael's. I left some of them on their stems for the taller bits, and pulled some of the leaf clusters off and glued them directly to the ground.

The tall (really tall!) grass in the back is also plastic plant bits; I think it's sold as "grass matt" in Michael's. Also based on the same 25mm wood discs.

Hot glue was used for all the gluing; I finally bought myself one of those small hot glue guns - not sure why I put it off all this time, they're great for scenery work!

The gent in black is a 28mm Copplestone gangster, partially painted. Why he's threatening greenery with a tommygun, I'm not sure. His mates are still stuck to the painting stand (recycled CD!) just behind him.

Not the greatest picture, but I'm pleased with the way the jungle shubbery has come out. I still need to do a bit of flocking on the bases.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Re: Shrubbery & Tall Grass
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 05:15:38 AM »
Looking good - I'm working on similar pieces myself, but for the desert.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 07:14:48 AM »
Good looking foliage there!That very tall grass is very usefull to simulate Bamboo groves and suger cane, I was reading recently in Russel Pasha's book "Egyptian Service" how bandit gangs would set up camps in large cane fields which were incredably hard for the police to locate until airplanes and tracking dogs became available!I think there is scenario potential there!Looking forward to seeing them flocked.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 09:47:37 PM »
You have to love the plastic foliage from Michaels and such. I use it extensively.

If you are looking for some tall grass that's a little less tall, check out your local pet shop/aquarium supplier. There is this stuff called "breeder grass" or some such that is about half that height. I have used this with a little drybrushing at the ends to make some nice tall grass. Chekc the link below for my blog post on it...

http://leadpeople.blogspot.com/2008/10/in-tall-tall-grass.html

Keep it up!

-Eli

"I See Lead People"

Visit I SEE LEAD PEOPLE!