Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:24:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690732
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Moongrunt Discussion  (Read 24555 times)

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
Re: Moongrunt Discussion
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2016, 08:08:06 AM »
At some point one just has to stop worry and dream of gunfights in outer space.

Still, if Elon Musk says he can lift 80000 people to Mars for half a million dollars each then that seems like enough to at least invent stories about life on Mars no matter what reservations one might have if it will actually happen.

--

In this case my line would be that the lunar conflict is unexpected and sending guys in suits is the fastest way the unprepared combatants can respond. Developing or adapting drones for space combat would take years while you can give a Marine Raider a space suit and a hastily constructed space rifle and stick him and a bunch of his MARSOC buddies on one of Musk's preexisting Mars transports and send him to the moon far more quickly.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 08:29:12 AM by Dezmond »

Offline Mad Mecha Guy

• Librarian
    • Mad Mecha Guy
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2016, 10:56:48 AM »
Thought this video on GZG MoonGrunt vehicles would be of interest.

"It's the Fumes I say, the Fumes, those lovely Laser Cut MDF fumes"

Offline Tas

• Mad Scientist
  • A keen eye for the ridiculous
    • The Man Cave
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2016, 12:09:07 PM »
WoW! Very cool!

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2016, 10:20:05 AM »
Thought this video on GZG MoonGrunt vehicles would be of interest.

They look great!

Am I right in thinking you designed these?

If so do you have any thoughts on stuff like How Many Guys Can Fit In The Back or cool names for them to be called or any sort of 'directors commentary style notes?

--

The new vehicles are now available on the GzG store:-

https://shop.groundzerogames.co.uk/moongrunt-vehicles.html

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »
Some of these will make really excellent terrain too - parked up and driverless... I'm stoked on the chinese rocket sled. I hope there's some seated infantry in the works to pop on the seating in those vehicles

Offline Mad Mecha Guy

• Librarian
    • Mad Mecha Guy
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2016, 04:42:08 PM »
Yes I designed them.  There will be a USA sledge, had to get cockpit redesigned & printed up. 

Chinese Rover:  2 or 3 in cab, normally 6 in back but could get couple extra in back.

USA Rover:  2 in front, 8 in back.

Not thought of name for any of the vehicles.

There will be seated infantry for USA & Chinese.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2016, 05:28:49 PM »
So when are you going to sculpt us some vehicles for the Xar/Chitters?  Love some more alien-looking vehicles from GZG, and their body shapes are really far out there.  Having the Loonie vac-suited guys brawling with re-imagined pseudo-Selenites would be a thing I'd like to do, but the Bugs need some armor support.  :) 

Offline Mad Mecha Guy

• Librarian
    • Mad Mecha Guy
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2016, 06:09:42 PM »

Not been asked by Jon T to do any Xar vehicles/Mechas.  I am a bit limited in what I can do as use SketchUp, its not brilliant but easy to use & does most of what I need.

I have been working on the KV, ORC & a few of the human groups heavy weapons - the usual missile packs, mortars & cannon.   

Regards

MMG.

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2016, 11:00:16 PM »
Mechanised Moongrunt

Chinese Rover:  2 or 3 in cab, normally 6 in back but could get couple extra in back.

USA Rover 2 in front, 8 in back.

So how about:-

USMC Lunar APC
Class: Light

Vehicle Type: Wheeled

TL: 2

Front Armor: 3D8

Side Armor: 2D8

Rear Armor: 2D6

Deck Armor: 1D6

Main Gun: Laser Cannon (AP:4/AT:1 (L))
Crew/Passengers: 1/9
Attributes: Sealed (crew cannot unbutton)

USMC Rover Borne Squad

1 * Squad Leader w/ M225 EVICW (Extra Vehicular Combat Weapon)

Fireteam Alpha
1 * Fireteam Leader w/ M225 EVICW
1 * Gunner w/ M237 Rapid-Pulse Support Laser Weapon (TL2 lt. AP1)
1 * Gunner w/ M222 Multi Role Portable Rocket Launcher (TL2 Med. AP2/AT2(M))
1 * Rifleman w/ M225 EVICW

Fireteam Bravo
1 * Fireteam Leader w/ M225 EVICW
1 * Gunner w/ M237 Rapid-Pulse Support Laser Weapon (TL2 Lt. AP1)
1 * Gunner w/ M222 Multi Role Portable Rocket Launcher (TL2 Med. AP2/AT2(M))
1 * Rifleman w/ M225 EVICW

PLASF Rover Mobile Rifle Squad

PLASF Lunar IFV
Class: Light
Vehicle Type: Wheeled

TL: 2 

Front Armor: 3D8

Side Armor: 2D8

Rear Armor: 2D6

Deck Armor: 1D6

Main Gun: Dual Rapid Pulse Laser Cannon (AP:4/AT:2 (L))
Crew/Passengers: 2/6
Attributes: Sealed (Crew cannot unbutton)

Dismount Element
1 * Squad Leader w/ ZH25 Laser Rifle/Low Pressure Grenade Launcher
1 * Gunner w/ ZH32 Heavy Pulse Laser (TL2 lt. AP1)
1 * Gunner w/ ZH40 Multi Role Rocket Launcher (TL2 Med. AP2/AT2(M))
3* Rifleman w/ ZH25

The US rover is intended to be more of a transport vehicle. The squad dismounts to fight, leaving only the driver in the vehicle.

The Chinese rover has a somewhat heavier armament and a vehicle gunner/commander but carries fewer, less heavily armed dismounts.

Offline Tas

• Mad Scientist
    • The Man Cave
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2016, 08:23:57 AM »
I have been working on the KV, ORC & a few of the human groups heavy weapons - the usual missile packs, mortars & cannon.    

Snipers please! I think a well sited sharp shooter with a laser could do some long range damage on the Moon!

And in case anyone missed it, the GZG site has now been updated to included these beauties and the other good Moongrunt vehicles:

« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 08:26:59 AM by Tas »

Offline Tas

• Mad Scientist
    • The Man Cave
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2016, 08:35:24 PM »
Mechanised Moongrunt

<snip>

The US rover is intended to be more of a transport vehicle. The squad dismounts to fight, leaving only the driver in the vehicle.

The Chinese rover has a somewhat heavier armament and a vehicle gunner/commander but carries fewer, less heavily armed dismounts.

I like the difference, which will be evident tactically. Would also be interesting for the vehicles to mount some kind of EW Jammer which provides "non-kinetic" support to the troops (if in range). 

Anybody thought about what to use for a tabletop covering for the moon, other than making custom boards that is?

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2016, 10:08:55 PM »
I like the difference, which will be evident tactically. Would also be interesting for the vehicles to mount some kind of EW Jammer which provides "non-kinetic" support to the troops (if in range). 

In Tomorrow's War, you could have both forces be On Grid (which actually seems quite reasonable to me, since both sides might be reluctant to scrub off all the commo and navigational sats that would undoubtedly be in orbit by the time a moonwar could even become a thing).  That would let you fold in EWAR support easily without writing any new rules.

Anybody thought about what to use for a tabletop covering for the moon, other than making custom boards that is?

I suspect a browse at a fabric store should turn up some color-suitable sheets.  I know I've found reasonable (and relatively cheap) starfield fabric in the past.  Painting on craters with some art store ink might also be viable if you don't mind 2D terrain.

Offline Tas

• Mad Scientist
    • The Man Cave
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2016, 11:36:40 AM »
Here's a question:

Explosions on the lunar surface would throw up lots of dust, dirt etc.  In the low lunar gravity this would take awhile to disperse, reducing visibility etc.

Wouldn't this make lasers far less effective than kinetic weapons once the battle starts, though the lack of recoil and moving parts would otherwise be an obvious advantage ?  Then again, maybe lasers only come in the support/vehicle weapon category due to their sensitive nature, battery pack and cooling requirements.

Perhaps this is evidence that my brain is chewing on the issue too much and should embrace the "pew-pew" elements more gladly  :D

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2016, 11:53:08 AM »
Here's a question:

Explosions on the lunar surface would throw up lots of dust, dirt etc.  In the low lunar gravity this would take awhile to disperse, reducing visibility etc.

Wouldn't this make lasers far less effective than kinetic weapons once the battle starts, though the lack of recoil and moving parts would otherwise be an obvious advantage ?  Then again, maybe lasers only come in the support/vehicle weapon category due to their sensitive nature, battery pack and cooling requirements.

Perhaps this is evidence that my brain is chewing on the issue too much and should embrace the "pew-pew" elements more gladly  :D

I have no answers but I like the reasoning you do. Mind chances are the peeps here are going to blow your reasoning out of the water like they did when I was musing over mortar flight times on the moon.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Tas

• Mad Scientist
    • The Man Cave
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2016, 12:07:36 PM »
Maybe the mortars need to be pneumatic to reduce kinetic energy and thus flight times...

Of course, Mortars with delayed fuses would kick up a lot of dust and debris.  So if your enemy is predominantly armed with lasers (or maybe that bunker you want to take has one), a couple of mortars would nicely screen your troops as they close in for close action!

If the peeps give me answers I dont like then maybe I can go fight on Mars!  
Marsgrunt doesnt sound as cool but all those oranges and reds would make for a spectacular tabletop   
8)