Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:38:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Moongrunt Discussion  (Read 24513 times)

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
Re: Moongrunt Discussion
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2019, 08:07:46 PM »
Also, you can download a 1965 document called ‘The meanderings of a weapon oriented mind when applied in a vacuum such as on the moon’ from here:-

http://cdm16040.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p4013coll11/id/2010

Which is... well the title is fairly accurate I think. Musing by someone at the... US army future weapons office? musing on what you might want, should you need to shoot someone on the moon.

Scott Manley has a video (partly) about it here:-

Offline Mad Mecha Guy

• Librarian
    • Mad Mecha Guy
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2019, 08:33:28 PM »
New fighters certainly look nice.  More 3D-drafted designs, I assume?  Seems to be the way things are going.

The one thing I'd love to see for Moongrunt would be a good generic lander (maybe with optional bits to customize it for different nations?) that looks like it could carry a squad and a buggy or two, or a full-on rover.  Sadly, be way too expensive in metal to be practical, and resins not really GZG's thing.  Maybe they can convince Brigade to do one?  Hmmm, maybe kitbash their sphere habitat terrain into a lander?

Yes the Fighters are commercially 3D printed, I have been looking at a Form2 (now Form3) printer to do the masters for myself.

The intention for the landers is to use some 50-100mm Christmas bauble spheres (dirt cheap off ebay) and do some generic adds on for them (i.e:  Legs Thrusters, vernier thruster clusters, windows, hatches & other bumf)  that gamers would glue on as wanted. 

Jon at last asking still had a resin machine but does not have the space or time to use it. The Moongrunt resin bits are done by Ainsty Casting.

When talking to both Jon T's  suggested doing a Moon Hopper inspired by old Sci-Fi design, getting printed in several hollow pieces (save on cost), filled & then getting cast in resin.
"It's the Fumes I say, the Fumes, those lovely Laser Cut MDF fumes"

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2019, 10:11:31 PM »

Proposed landers:-

CGI of that lander:-

Offline Tas

• Mad Scientist
  • A keen eye for the ridiculous
    • The Man Cave
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2019, 01:31:15 AM »
Might be able to the MoonGrunt heavy weapons one of these days, to do list getting longer.

Might have time to do MoonGrunt ship one day.

I have been buying GZG products (of all ranges) for over 2 decades. Gotta say that the Moongrunt range is amongst my very favourite amongst them all, and I would love to see more for it.
Maybe an EU force so I can field some French Foreign Legion against the new Brits and have Lunar Brexit Battles :-)

+1 for the Lander project - I would love to do some raid and capture type scenarios
The bauble add on idea sounds good, but I'd love to see that streamlined Lockheed design more!

Thanks for the continued awesomeness!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 09:00:32 AM by Tas »

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2019, 06:47:35 AM »
I agree the Moongrunt stuff is terrific.

Would love to see a SHADO Moon Mobile/Hopper for the British, and some Moonbase Women too, just because.

Some of those lunar landers don't look too difficult to build from scratch.  Might need to try that, just for grins.

I do like that streamlined one too.  Perhaps a model rocket, or spaceship toy might work for that option, or something close to it.

Time to e-mail Jon to see if he'll offer Moongrunt platoon packs, since I'm in need of some of those, stat.

Offline Tas

• Mad Scientist
    • The Man Cave
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2019, 08:38:47 AM »
Time to e-mail Jon to see if he'll offer Moongrunt platoon packs, since I'm in need of some of those, stat.

I was just looking at his starter packs and was surprised to see he doesn't offer Moongrunt ones yet
I know he was contemplating it while back - I'd be keen to grab a couple too

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2019, 08:59:01 AM »
Apparently Fantastic Plastic makes a 1/144 Lockheed Martin MADV

(Video of the bird in action:-)

I like the ball tank and radiator arrangement on this:-

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2019, 10:38:43 AM »
I would like to take a moment to highlight the Spacers - The Space Rescue Service series by Roy Bentley.

Being a series of kids picture books I have long had vague memories of but only recently managed to track down.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00OB9KF5Q/ref=dbs_a_w_dp_b00ob

For a start, SpaceRS is a neat name.

And I kinda like the art.

Available in a convenient ebook format, if anyone is interested!

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2019, 12:44:55 PM »
Re:- hopper:- Slick and Gunship variants.

So transports, obviously, but also this:-

Or this:-

with chin turrets and stub wings and sensor clusters

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 01:10:31 PM by Dezmond »

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2019, 04:02:35 PM »
I was just looking at his starter packs and was surprised to see he doesn't offer Moongrunt ones yet
I know he was contemplating it while back - I'd be keen to grab a couple too

He hasn't done new platoon packs in years, and most of the old ones (eg vehicle platoons) are long since discontinued.  There's still a few, but IIRC the most recent ones are maybe the Crusties?

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2019, 04:28:26 PM »
I just e-mailed Jon last night, and he replied this morning, stating that there are Moongrunt starter packs available, like he sells at shows.  They're just not listed on his website yet.

IIRC, you get 42 GBP of items for 36 GBP.  They include 2 x each of the rifles packs A and B, and then other support packs, and some rovers. 

The British pack is a bit different, since there are fewer troops available for them right now.  I suspect that'll be the same with the Israeli troops too.

He said to inquire with him, once a decision is made on factions, and then he'll provide info on how to order.

Hope that helps.

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2019, 04:33:15 PM »
Oooo, that 1/144th scale, Fantastic Plastic lander looks excellent!!!

Would love to have one, but $100 is a bit much right now.  Perhaps later, if I hit the lotto, or can't find a suitable toy to use, instead.

Offline Tas

• Mad Scientist
    • The Man Cave
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2019, 10:15:35 PM »
I just e-mailed Jon last night, and he replied this morning, stating that there are Moongrunt starter packs available, like he sells at shows.  They're just not listed on his website yet.

Thanks Mako, appreciated!

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2019, 12:56:54 AM »
You're welcome, Tas.

Found some Model Rockets and/or Spacecraft that might fit the bill, and many are a lot cheaper than $100, or so.  Some do range up to $50, but there are also some in the $15 - $25 range too that might work.

Worth checking out, if you have the time, and money.

They're not quite as nice as the Mars Lander, but should work in a pinch, instead.

Offline Tas

• Mad Scientist
    • The Man Cave
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2019, 01:51:25 AM »
Thanks Mako!