Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 08:02:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Need some help with a couple terrain issues.  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
Need some help with a couple terrain issues.
« on: February 08, 2009, 05:33:04 AM »
Hello, guys and dames.

In addition to my Aztec project, I'm prepping a set of Mexican-American War rules for release/publishing. As part of that, I want to put on some demo games of the first two battles of the war - Palo Alto and Resaca de la Palma.

In the past when I've done this, I've usually just used felt to mark certain unusual pieces of terrain, but I'd like to something a bit more involved this time, hopefully without the need to create terrain boards from whole cloth (they are difficult to store and transport, in my experience).

What I need are two semi-unusual pieces, and I'm not sure how to go about modeling (or, perhaps there's a kit or piece out there that can be modified as appropriate).

First, I need sections of grass, approximately waist high to an average man, in 15mm. I'm not really sure how to achieve this effect. Static grass might be a possibility, but I don't own a static grass "gun", and at any rate, it might not be the best solution.

I also need to make sections of "Resaca", which is essentially the Central American equivalent of Wadi. These are dry creek beds, which vary in depth, occasionally have bits of water in them, and were used by the Mexicans as ready made fieldworks.

Any ideas, suggestions, tips, etc? These are probably both rather simple pieces, but I'm relatively new to building terrain myself (I've sculpted terrain boards, but specific pieces like this are another thing entirely, and again, trying to get away form the terrain board thing, anyway).

-Doc

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Re: Need some help with a couple terrain issues.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 05:43:09 AM »
First, I need sections of grass, approximately waist high to an average man, in 15mm. I'm not really sure how to achieve this effect. Static grass might be a possibility, but I don't own a static grass "gun", and at any rate, it might not be the best solution.

Teddy bear fur. http://www.earlswoodwargamers.co.uk/terraincorner.html is spectacular; search here on LAF too for some other examples.

I also need to make sections of "Resaca", which is essentially the Central American equivalent of Wadi. These are dry creek beds, which vary in depth, occasionally have bits of water in them, and were used by the Mexicans as ready made fieldworks.

Check this EBay store item out (link) - a dry creek/river bed, done basically like any other modular river but without the water. (I've never bought anything from Battlefield Architect, but I probably should, his EBay store has provided all sorts of inspiration for my own scenery building!)

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 05:49:09 AM »
I am not a terrain expert I am sure there are better people than I for this question but that being said, for the "Resaca" Vallejo has a water effect product that you can use for the mud holes and how about trying the crackle paint that they sell in home stores (once painted it crackles like a dry water bed)   I am sure a hobby store would have some type of product like that too.  And depending on how much grass area you need the Product Silfor (sp) come in various heights and might work.
Hope that helps a bit.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Johan

• Scientist
    • http://www.tsoa.be
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 08:34:35 AM »
I have used lenghts of sisal rope for long grass in the past, but depending on how much you need, you may have to cut a lot of rope.

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 09:31:14 AM »
Great ideas from all of you, guys, thanks. The use of Teddy Bear fur is a particularly inspired option.

Thank you, gentlemen.

-Doc

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 06:13:27 AM »
I bought a broom that had "teased ends" on long nylon pale coloured bristles. Just cut them to length and glue them in clumps.

Must take a pic of them one day in original and terrain pics.
Cheers,
Poiter50