Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:16:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Flashman....  (Read 5594 times)

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
Re: Flashman....
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 04:01:36 PM »
Flashy was a staff wallah at Balaklava, from what I remember, and had got himself into what he thought would be a safe post away from the action, as usual though, his plans went awry as he was sent with messages at the worst moments to the three most dangerous spots in the battle - The Thin Red Line, The Charge of The Heavy Brigade and Charge of The Light Brigade - where he was captured. I would expect he would be wearing the uniform of his own regiment: 11th Hussars.

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Mosstrooper

• Scientist
  • old enough to know better !
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 06:11:52 PM »
Flashman left the 11th Hussars after a dispute with Cardigan and went to India . During the Crimea he was in the 17th Lancers and made a Colonel while chaperoning the young German Prince .

Offline bulldogger2000

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 06:42:04 PM »
First photo is of the adjustments I made to the figure.  The original standing pose was rather straight legged and not a realistic posture for someone mounted on a horse.  I tilted his upper body slightly forward, gave more of an angle to his upper leg/thigh area, readjusted the lower leg to a more vertical position (necessary after adjusting the upper leg), I bent his toes up to more accurately a foot position in a stirrup.  I also gave more of a light cavalry curve to the saber.

Offline bulldogger2000

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 06:43:58 PM »
Second photo is the "green stuff" epoxy stirrups and leathers in place.  I also beefed up his mustache a bit as well.

Offline bulldogger2000

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 06:52:00 PM »
I am using a Wargames Foundry Crimean War Horse for "Flashy".  To get a better fit, I filed down the seat vertically, narrowing it and making sure the rider has a "good seat" without having to file on the rider.  I also drilled a hole into the saddle area of the mount so that the pin placed in the bottom of the figure can be inserted and more securely hold the two pieces together.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 06:57:23 PM by bulldogger2000 »

Offline bulldogger2000

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 06:53:18 PM »
filed saddle

Offline bulldogger2000

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2016, 02:03:02 AM »
Official Report on the Heroic Actions Taken by Col. H. Flashman (17th Lancers) at the Battle of  PulWallah in the tribal areas north of the Sind. 
On the 23rd of July, in the year 1858, Her Majesty’s army was drawn up in line of battle to confront, and at long last destroy, the rebel forces in the Sind.  Colonel Harry Flashman, commanding the 17th Regiment of Lancers was seen to approach the command staff, apparently to request permission to lead a daring charge into the enemy forces.  When he found that time was wasting, he abruptly turned his horse on his heels and at a full out gallop, was seen to begin waving his saber frantically as if he were a member of some drug induced Hindi sect.  Racing past his regiment, and believing that his brave troopers were too slow in responding to his exhortations, Flashman was heard to repeatedly yell, “Away, Damn You! Away”.
As one, the Lancers surged forward, following their brave leader into the midst of the rebel army.  Not only did the Lancers make a monumental charge, but the General’s hound Bartley, found inspiration in Flashman’s sport and followed gleefully behind Col. Flashman throughout the entire action.

My Dear Epsweth,
You have no doubt, by now, heard of the action of July 23rd.  I can assure you that I remain safe in spite of the misadventures leading up to the fray. 
As the two armies approached, I found my stomach twisting in knots and my bowels loosening to the danger point.  Knowing that my impending doom was in making in mere moments, in one last hope, I approached the General to request to be relieved of duty based upon my illness (cowardice IS a form of illness I believe).  Before I had the opportunity to speak with the old warthog, his nasty cur (the dog has repeatedly tried to bite me over the last few months) charged at my horse causing the animal to flee in panic.  In spite of all of my efforts to strike the mangy beast with my sword, and calling repeatedly for it  to leave me along.  The dog continued to pursue me into the very jaws of the awaiting rebel army.  Not content to simply place me in harms ways….the dog continued to chase after me, back and forth, hither and hon through the ranks of the Sind rebels.
As luck would have it, I must now find room for another medal on my tunic.
Your Devoted Husband,
Harry

Offline bulldogger2000

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2016, 02:03:44 AM »
It was a fun day project....

Offline bulldogger2000

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2016, 02:04:40 AM »
My photographic skills are certainly lacking...

Offline bulldogger2000

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2016, 02:05:37 AM »
Thanks all for the input.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2016, 08:16:06 AM »
It was a fun day project....

A great idea, looks just how I imagine 'Flashy'!

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2016, 11:48:38 AM »
That is pretty cool work!! Well done. I was handing those figures out at H-Con and would never have thought to do a conversion like that. Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2016, 01:00:18 PM »
Thank you.

The fig suggestions are from Steve Barber Models Greek War of Independence range
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2016, 05:43:54 PM »
Great job.
You have done Flashman to the T.
I would love to see him in the different uniforms from the books.
Miniatures would be so cool.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2016, 10:17:36 PM »
Really good conversion  8)

Cheers

Keith