Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:29:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691094
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Will Frostgrave work as a large multiplayer game?  (Read 7623 times)

Offline Xintao

• Librarian
    • Xin's Lair
Re: Will Frostgrave work as a large multiplayer game?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 10:09:42 PM »
Robh, I will be putting on a convention game. Thanks for feed back. It was very helpful.

Xin
Xin

My Blog: Xin's Lair

Offline BrentS

• Student
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 12:23:50 PM »
Resurrecting this thread (instead of starting a new one).  I'm curious on how others have handled initiative especially on big games of Frostgrave. Thinking about participation games like you would see at a convention.

Offline Maniacus

• Bookworm
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 07:31:39 PM »
Resurrecting this thread (instead of starting a new one).  I'm curious on how others have handled initiative especially on big games of Frostgrave. Thinking about participation games like you would see at a convention.

For our multi-player games of Frostgrave, we simply either each roll a d20 for initiative order each turn, or draw numbered poker chips from a bag each turn.  

Another house rule we've used for multi-player:  For each additional player beyond two, we lower the target number necessary by 1 when rolling for random monster encounters during the game.  This has added a (fun!) element of chaos since it means that the more players there are the more likely random creatures are to be drawn to the area.
There's a time for joking around and a time to be serious; this is not one of them.

-------------------------------------------------

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 11:14:56 PM »
We went with a simple dice off for initiative order.
But the main house rule for us was the "no treasure can leave the table after there is only 1 wizard in play".
Stops the "killer gang" mentality that charges in to eliminate all opponents and then picks up everything on board by default, so you either grab loot and run (as the bunch of plundering scavengers you are supposed to be) or you blaze in as vigilantes just picking up experience for eliminating the scavengers like a bunch of bounty hunters.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Rowlybot12000

• Student
  • Police!
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 12:20:43 PM »
Last night I arranged the first game for our club's campaign.

It involved 6 players, including 2 who had never played before, all playing on a slightly larger than 4x4 board. Initiative was handled as per normal, everyone rolled a d20, highest to lowest. I just kept note of whose turn it was by writing down the order and ticking off each phase.

We added lots more treasure to the board, 3 per player so there were 18 pieces to try and snaffle up. And even after 5 turns, and game end, the most captured was 3. Only real change we made was to have the wandering monsters appear in the centre of the board rather than the edges. It was bloody and frantic but everyone enjoyed themselves and I don't feel that anyone got bored waiting their turn.

Offline Iamafish

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2016, 04:13:20 PM »
we have played 4 play twice. both times to place the treasure more in the center of the board kind of force that the will be a 4 ways fight for the center.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2016, 10:08:51 PM »
My first ever game was a six person brawl and it was the most fun I playing a game that I had in ages.  It was easy to pick up since there were four of us who had never played and the game still ran smoothly. 
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Denizen Kane

• Librarian
  • French Army? What,s that?
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2016, 04:07:43 AM »
I regularly use 6-8 players with 5 man warbands and no apprentices or captains at conventions! The board is 3x10 feet long and let me tell you the mayhem is awesome!
The world is changing so fast and we,re just trying to catch up...

Offline TodCreasey

• Student
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2016, 01:20:22 PM »
I regularly use 6-8 players with 5 man warbands and no apprentices or captains at conventions! The board is 3x10 feet long and let me tell you the mayhem is awesome!

I considering 2 players per team - one with the wizard and some of the warband and one with the apprentice and a captain - the idea being that the team need to work together but I am thinking your idea may be better. Do you find the reduced number of phases helps speed things up?

Tod

Offline Weesparky

• Assistant
    • Fictional Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 03:01:28 PM »
One of my gaming buddies has successfully run FrostGrave as a convention game. He usually has 6-8 players every game which includes quite a few new players who want to try out the rules.

He has pre-made warbands with equipment and spells selected. The warbands have also had a couple of "levels" added so that they are a little more consistent in casting a few spells.

Offline R0nin078

• Student
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 02:11:12 PM »
a couple of friends and me thinks that more than 4 players is difficult to play, unless the table were very large (6x6 feet).

Other think that we try (ussing the underground setting) is take your wizard and 2 or 3 soldiers and explore a dungeon all together vs a sort of dungeon master that controlls the random encounters and traps in every room that we explore. Looks more like a D&D RPG but the rules allowed that.

Run you clever boy... and remember

Offline TodCreasey

• Student
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2016, 03:53:24 PM »
a couple of friends and me thinks that more than 4 players is difficult to play, unless the table were very large (6x6 feet).

Other think that we try (ussing the underground setting) is take your wizard and 2 or 3 soldiers and explore a dungeon all together vs a sort of dungeon master that controlls the random encounters and traps in every room that we explore. Looks more like a D&D RPG but the rules allowed that.

I find anytime we have new players or random encounters the game requires a GM which is fine with me. We found however that 4 players are the max as everyone is waiting around for their turn. Next time we get together I am going to try doing initiative in teams and have the teams split the treasure at the end.