Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:37:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Napoleonic Era Gaming  (Read 8549 times)

Offline TheWeasel

• Bookworm
    • Weasel Miniatures
Re: Napoleonic Era Gaming
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 06:45:26 PM »
On the contrary,  this is becoming quite informative.

And the anal rulemongers are one of the reasons I am leaning toward Napoleonic adventures rather than recreations of entire campaigns. I don't know enough ofhte history yet anyways. This is a new obsession for me.

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 12:36:55 PM »
This was my reasoning - Love the Nap period but hate the whole pedantic nature that seems to pollute the Nap game rules/games - so went with Song of Drums and Shakos as it gives a great Nap feel (even if it is skirmish)and is still heaps of fun
Rich J

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 03:25:55 PM »
We have a "pre-Nap" project in the works for later this year. Let me just say that it involves a short Corsican, lots of sand, and intrigue in a country not in Europe.  :D
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 03:30:03 PM »
We have a "pre-Nap" project in the works for later this year. Let me just say that it involves a short Corsican, lots of sand, and intrigue in a country not in Europe.  :D

uhu! :D Cuba here we go!  :D

just kidding!  :D
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 03:30:16 PM »
Hey! That was my idea!

Fortunately it means someone else will do all the work for me.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline TheWeasel

• Bookworm
    • Weasel Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 03:56:57 PM »
Well count me jealous! I always like doomed campigns!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 07:08:46 PM »

Will we have to build a model Sphinx, or is it only optional?

I love that campaign -I have 15mm armies for it but so far nothing in 28mm. I may just be able to afford enough figures for a skirmish game   ;D

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 07:19:59 PM »
Will we have to build a model Sphinx, or is it only optional?

--->Hmmm... maybe I'll get someone to produce a resin sphinx that is required in order to play. :)

I love that campaign -I have 15mm armies for it but so far nothing in 28mm.

We were just discussing 15mm over on the Speakeasy in regards to Fantastic Worlds. The thing with Rattrap games is that you don't need to use 28mm figures. The rules will work just as well with 20mm or 15mm with no modifications to range of movement.

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 07:28:40 PM »
--->Hmmm... maybe I'll get someone to produce a resin sphinx that is required in order to play. :)

http://www.fishandfins.co.uk/egypt-ruins.htm

:)
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 07:48:57 PM »
This was my reasoning - Love the Nap period but hate the whole pedantic nature that seems to pollute the Nap game rules/games - so went with Song of Drums and Shakos as it gives a great Nap feel (even if it is skirmish)and is still heaps of fun

Ive bought " Sharpe practice " for some Napoleonic skirmishes and adventuring. But Im not sure if its really suitable for the Revolutionary games I fancy. Can you tell me more about song of drums and shakos and what attracted you to it?

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2009, 12:20:34 PM »
We were just discussing 15mm over on the Speakeasy in regards to Fantastic Worlds. The thing with Rattrap games is that you don't need to use 28mm figures. The rules will work just as well with 20mm or 15mm with no modifications to range of movement.

Sadly, gaming the Egyptian campaign in 15mm is almost the only way to get the uniforms and equipment right. There is literally no decent 28mm range for French in campaign dress on the market. I've initiated an Eureka club, but the feedback isn't very encouraging.

So, if you're honestly willing to produce a few miniatures to go with this release, please think carefully about one or two French soldiers in 28mm. Pleeeease! :'(

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 12:46:41 PM »
Ive bought " Sharpe practice " for some Napoleonic skirmishes and adventuring. But Im not sure if its really suitable for the Revolutionary games I fancy.

IIRC they did a supplement in one of their "specials" that adds some revolutionary flavor for Sharp Practice. An email to the lardies or a post on their Yahoo group should let you know which one.

Song of drums...varies from SP in that each figure activated individually. I haven't played it yet, but I gather that you wouldn't normally run more than a dozen figures per side.

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 04:03:22 PM »
What attracted me to SODS ?
Well I love the whole Ganesha game mechanics - simple but subtle - when I first got their fantasy set I didn't play it for ages as it looked to simple and bland. Finally did and was hooked, then when the Nap version came out and we had a load of Pennisular stuff just sitting there; well there was no choice.

For a look at how it works download their free mag 'Free Hack' - you need number 2 and I did a battle rep/walk through type thing and a scenario to go with it :-)

Rich J

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2009, 08:06:26 PM »
Thanks I will check both those out.
Plenty of time to decide what rules as am still painting figs.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 12:26:28 AM »

http://www.fishandfins.co.uk/egypt-ruins.htm

:)

Or go, have holidays in Egypt and you get souvenirs to be used on you gaming tables!

uhu! :D Cuba here we go!  :D

just kidding!  :D

for more or equal colour try also Haiti !
all those black/negroes napoleonic soldiers with black generals might add some more colour [or is it brown/black whatever] in a game!
Yes, the short Corsican never found his way to the West Indies, but his wife was a Creole, didn't she?
argsilverson