Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:01:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690622
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: ideas to recycle heroscape tiles  (Read 3156 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
ideas to recycle heroscape tiles
« on: August 29, 2016, 12:38:46 AM »
Hi,

I found this website, searching for ideas to recycle my heroscape sets (bought for battletech, but I only play mechattack, finally, so no need for hexs, even if I still plan to buy alpha strike one day).

http://www.wartile.com

I think this virtual project has a nice balance between hexes and "classic" scenery. Hexes are great in terms of game : no need for measuring, for lines of view, etc...but are a bit too "geometric" if you like nice wargame terrain. But here in the screen shots, both worlds are well mixed, I think.

ANother project on my already too high pile ? Probably  lol

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: ideas to recycle heroscape tiles
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 01:20:44 AM »
Looks cool, but I don't even understand what it is...a PC game simulating a hex-based tabletop game?

PS: I think their idea is excellent though (from a visual standpoint).  You could make a cool open-ended dungeon crawl scenario by doing a lot of boards like that with hexes.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:22:15 AM by Elbows »
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 02:42:22 AM »
It was a table top board game that came out about 10 years ago. The box as stuffed full of hexes and it was almost impossible to get everything back in the box after you'd opened it.
Here's a link if you want more information
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/11170/heroscape-master-set-rise-valkyrie

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 01:55:05 PM »
Looks cool, but I don't even understand what it is...a PC game simulating a hex-based tabletop game?

PS: I think their idea is excellent though (from a visual standpoint).  You could make a cool open-ended dungeon crawl scenario by doing a lot of boards like that with hexes.

Apparently it was a kind of virtual boardgame/videogame project :

http://store.steampowered.com/app/404200/?l=french

I don't know much about this, like you is the visual appaerance wich appealed me. Custom heroscape is well known (I even made some custom tiles too myself), but this "hybrid" design is very interesting.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 01:56:55 PM »
Yeah, I looked at it some more and think it looks pretty cool - a system you could use for all sorts of games.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 03:30:20 PM »
WarTile looks pretty cool, though the actual info about the game seems limited at this point.

As for immediate uses for Heroscape, the "Magic The Gathering: Arena of The Planeswalker" games use the Heroscape tiles and provides hexed map segments so you don't have to use the tiles for expanses of flat ground.  Only a few of the pieces are pre-painted, but the game uses the same basic Heroscape mechanics with some additions for a different card mechanic.

If anyone in the USA has some Heroscape tiles they'd like to get rid of, I'd likely be interested in trading or buying them to expand my Planeswalker set to play with my kids.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 03:34:31 PM by eilif »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 11:00:49 PM »
Except heroscape and new magic game, what game would you play on this kind of diorama hexes board  if it was real ? Seeing the screenshots, I'd say something about 2'x3' sized?

I have about 3 valkirie sets for heroscape (the biggest ones available), and I'd like to test this idea for real, it sounds loads of fun. It would be also a nice (and very original)  showcase for my terrain modelling work.

But I'm a gamer first, so I'd like some good rules to play with it too !  :D

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 03:37:24 AM »
Except heroscape and new magic game, what game would you play on this kind of diorama hexes board  if it was real ? Seeing the screenshots, I'd say something about 2'x3' sized?

I have about 3 valkirie sets for heroscape (the biggest ones available), and I'd like to test this idea for real, it sounds loads of fun. It would be also a nice (and very original)  showcase for my terrain modelling work.

But I'm a gamer first, so I'd like some good rules to play with it too !  :D

I wonder if perhaps you're over-thinking the issue a bit. If you like the hex terrain, you can convert most any game's inches to hexes.  I generally prefer traditional terrain, but we've played Mech Attack on Hexes and it was fun.  We used Mechwarrior figs and hex grids for a Solaris 7 style sluggfest.  Mostly stock rules but you start with a light mech and each time you die you come back with the next weight size up.

Even Song of Blades and heroes could pretty easily be converted to hexes.  Say 2, 4 and 6 hexes for the stick measurements perhaps? As a bit of a gimmick (not a bad thing) Heroscape terrain could make for a pretty attention grabbing display for demoing most any indie game at a local game store or convention.

Have you tried the MtG game?  It's quite cheap right now.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hasbro-MAGIC-ARENA-PLANESWALKER-W10111/dp/B010FBWP6U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1472524770&sr=8-4&keywords=Arena+of+the+planeswalkers
The boards are pretty nice and would surely let you stretch your collection out a bit.
Alternatively I bought a couple extra sets for the figs and terrain. I'd be happy to mail you one of my extra rulebooks and sets of cards for the cost of postage. If you've got Heroscape, you've probably already got the special dice (same proportions slightly different symbols, IIRC) and proxy figs.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 03:43:18 AM by eilif »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 02:59:12 PM »
Thank you, ellif for your answer : when I was thinking about a "hex game" I'm especially thinking of something that would benefit of levelling/height: like in Battletech, for instance.  And/or a game where flanking or direction would be important in terms of gameplay (again, like Battletech).

Wait, I could play battletech, right ?   lol But I was more thinking of a fantasy 25-28mm setting this time.

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 05:44:05 PM »
I think that (apart from Battlemech and the like), a dungeoncrawl game would benefit from hex tiles. Given their shape, they better fit natural formations, such as caves and the like. Different heights could give bonuses/minuses for close combat attacks, and help or hinder line-of-sights for ranged or magical attacks.

Biggest issue I see with the Heroscape tiles are their size. From what I've read, they are 44mm side to side, or 51 apex to apex. That seems too big to fit only individual minis, but too small to fit various minis (standard 25mm round base).

Umh... I think I'll gove this some more thought.

(And if I end buying a load of hexes, I'm blaming you, Sundayvillain!)
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 08:02:15 PM »
Thank you, ellif for your answer : when I was thinking about a "hex game" I'm especially thinking of something that would benefit of levelling/height: like in Battletech, for instance.  And/or a game where flanking or direction would be important in terms of gameplay (again, like Battletech).
That makes sense.  Like SBH, most games have rules regarding height, but not to the degree of detail that Heroscape/MTG:AOP does.  I'm not sure what to suggest.  For most games there would not be much difference between 1 and 4 heroscape tiles of height.

(again, like Battletech).

Wait, I could play battletech, right ?   lol But I was more thinking of a fantasy 25-28mm setting this time.
Sure you could play Battletech, but then you'd have to play Battletech.  lol

Alpha Strike is awesome though.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:19:00 PM by eilif »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 10:17:21 PM »
I should take a look on Chronopia rules...I remember that the rules were quite precise on levels. But almost sure also that there is no flanking rules inside it.

I really think that it's the major feature of the hexes tables : levels and facing, for complex (and multiple) attacks behaviour made easy because of the board itself.

Maybe creating my own ruleset ? It's not the first time I'm searching for something very specific, without finfind a matching ruleset... ???

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 10:32:11 PM »
I took a look on chronopia advanced rules (from supplements), there is some elevation rules, wich may take advantage of heroscape tiles.

I'm also thinking of buying relic blade, wich seems perfect for this kind of project too.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 05:36:10 PM »
Hope all forgive the threadomancy.

There are a heck of a lot of old games which used hexes, and I think worth the effort to move to 'scape scapes. OGRE and Sniper come to mind, though hardly everyone's cuppa. I've been playing with some homebrew (ie ideas stolen from EVERYWHERE) rules using Mage Knight and Mechwarrior for cheap pieces.

One issue I have is that I want a large playing surface to put the tiles on; the Planescape mat just doesn't quite work for me.

I did try getting a friend to cut grooves in plywood to make at least 2 x 2 sections, but even though I offered Real Money, he didn't bite. Finally, I took a bunch of 24-hex tiles and glued together to make easy to transport, yet connectable sections for different sized tables.

My main issue now is, when you have edges that big, there's a tendency for it to bind when assembling or disassembling. I've tried file/sanding along the edges to allow them to 'hook' without sticking, but no luck so far. 'Lubricants' sound messy.

eilif: I'd spot you some tiles if you're willing to give this some thought. Oh, heck, I'll spot you if you aren't.  ;)

PM me.

Doug
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 03:50:03 AM by The_Beast »