Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:27:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689750
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 689
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Suggestions on creating "Paper Panzers" from existing 1/56 models?  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
Yeah, since Blitzkrieg is the only company doing something similar - they have the "Maus" (and I read that both Warlord and Heer46 are also doing it) - and there are some plastic 1/56 models available (Rubicon does the late-war Panther for instance) for conversions, plus some Heer46 bits that can be used (night vision devices; Schmallturm turret)...how can I do some "Paper Panzers"?

There's no need for them to be like the "real" ones...just similar  ;)

My first try = a Rubicon Panther Ausf G with a Heer46 Schmallturm turret and I'll call it an E50. And I have a 1/48 Tiger II that will be turned into a E100  lol (I'll swap its barrel with the one from a 1/48 Jagdtiger).

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Re: Suggestions on creating "Paper Panzers" from existing 1/56 models?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 02:28:37 PM »
That's quite a task you've set yourself! I've long toyed with a similar notion but the amount of work involved & other commitments has so far put me off (that & hope that the JTFM After 45 range will appear at some point).
 As to which tanks could make good doners;
 Panther F- fairly easy, you've got the Heer 46 turret you mentioned plus a variety of Panther kits to put it on.
 E-50, well a Tiger II hull is a much closer analogue than a Panther (it starts to get a little expensive from this point) - if you wanted to get more accurate running gear it'd be easier with a plastic kit like the Tamiya, as Dremel-ing out roadwheels from a resin kit, while do-able, would be challenging & not necessary if you just want 'essence of E-50'.
 E-75, this would be the easiest, as running gear aside, a Tiger II kit would do, just use some plastic/brass rod/tube to represent the 105mm gun.
 E-100, tricky, all the problems of the E-50 & bigger with it, I suppose a 1/48 Tiger II kit might be closer to the right size, stick the Blitzkreig Maus turret on it (& if you've a mind to, scratch build the skirt armour) - personally I just wouldn't, buy the Blitzkrieg Maus (an excellent kit) instead untill someone tackles the beast.
 Heer 46 does a Lowe (in 1/48) which looks pretty good.
 Sorry to come across as a bit of a downer  :-[ but at least the Panther F & E-50/75 would be easily do-able with available models, as both the latter could be based on a Tiger II hull, good luck with the project!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 04:55:40 PM by Ballardian »

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 05:14:03 PM »
By paper panzer are you meaning vehicles which were entirely new, or at least have enough of the hull replaced from existing models, or just variants like Flak panthers?

I'm considering making my own E-50 (though my project's sadly delayed right now). With that the Warlord Tiger II's probably your best option in 1/56 (visible and size wise the two hulls are much more similar than the Panther's). Other companies make more detailed kits, but there's is the easiest to get a hold of, and you'd be sanding off a lot of them anyway. Rubicon say they have a Tiger II planned, but that's not for a long time.

From my own experience the Katzchen APC (and possible variants such as Hanomag style mortar bearers, etc) was fairly simple to make based off a Rubicon Hetzer, just change out the super structure.

So aye, how much investment would you be wanting to do? A lot of the stuff you'd may as well scratch build onto the existing models rather than finding visually similar alternatives - all you'd need would be the finnicky bits like hatches and guns.

Here's a good website for German prototype tanks: http://fingolfen.tripod.com/index.html

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 08:05:42 PM »
Gentleman, thanks for your replies. After much pondering and reading (books, sites and your suggestions), I'll just improvise. I'm planning on using them on Konflikt '47 mainly as objectives - there aren't rules for those prototypes - so I'll just convert some models and say they are the E-model series in that particular universe  lol

If any company comes along and does models, I'll buy them, but until them...time to do some cutting and gluing.