Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:32:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689477
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Stand-ins for Slann slaves? And other Slann plans ...  (Read 3564 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Stand-ins for Slann slaves? And other Slann plans ...
« on: August 30, 2016, 02:39:42 PM »
Armed with the newly discovered power of Biostrip, I set about my ancient heap of Slann last night. I'm going to base them up for Hordes of the Things (which also works fine for Dragon Rampant). I might keep a few singly based for skirmish games, but I increasingly think I won't bother - I've got plenty of swamp-dwelling, blowpipe-armed options in the form of lizardmen, reptiliads, gilla worms and dragonewts, so the Slann don't add much to that mix. And those other beasties can stand in in DR when demanded by casualties.

Units of blades (palace guards) and warbands or shooters (braves - they could work as either, given identical base requirements and preponderance of blowpipes and tomahawks) will pretty much get me to full strength. And I've got plenty of cold-one riders to use as knights, riders or heroes, depending on size. And then I've got wizards and beasts (war hounds).

But I only have one of each of the two slave models. I have a couple of handlers at least, and could convert others. So, what I need to provide some lobotomised hordes are some (preferably) bald, loin-cloth clad human warriors. Portliness is a bonus. Any ideas for cheap stand-ins?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 10:15:22 AM by Hobgoblin »

Offline aiteal

• Librarian
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 03:24:49 PM by aiteal »

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
Re: Stand-ins for Slann slaves?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 03:31:19 PM »
Are these the Trish Morrison slottabase types or the earlier Perry ones?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 04:10:17 PM »
Thanks, aiteal!

The Dozing Dragon: the Perry ones.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 10:02:57 AM »
Just had a good look at the Perry Madhists. I think those will work very nicely indeed, with perhaps no conversion at all required.

Many thanks again, aiteal - that's exactly what I was looking for.

A good rummage through the Slann tub (spawning pool?) last night confirmed that I've got enough for at least six warband bases and perhaps as many blades (it depends how I decide to use the startling number of Kremlos I acquired in my misspent youth). The Perry Slann models are perfectly scaled for HOTT, with the palace guards fitting on the narrow blades bases very nicely.

I'll use the Morrison Slann chiefly as heroes and wizards, I think. The first Morrison range are excellent, but the later ones, in static poses, are a bit less interesting. Still, the two varieties of cold-one rider give me options for "knights" and "riders" - or appropriately mounted heroes and regular cavalry. And HOTT is the perfect use for that palanquin-borne wizard ...

Offline aiteal

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 10:43:45 PM »
Obviously too late for you to get in on Sean's initial KS, but you may find the latest project update of interest
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1033967745/bizaza-guard-ancient-frog-people-from-the-future-i/posts/1669396

Slaving party and slaves!!!

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 02:47:46 AM »
Think these might be just the thing for you:

http://eoeorbis.com/collections/fantasy/products/hm1228-saracen-slave-guards-3?variant=1314891680
Black Tree HM1228 - Saracen Slave Guards (3)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 10:14:55 AM »
Many thanks, Spooktalker! Hmm - those are certainly appropriate, and they'd provide another HOTT option, in the form of "spears". I wonder if the Madhists might fit better with the preslotta slaves, though - being Perry on Perry. But in any case, having "elite" slaves as spear units would avoid a clash of styles. And three is the perfect number for a HOTT element. My plan is to get a good number of the main Slann units done before I acquire any stand-in slaves, but I'll certainly have a good look at the Black Tree chaps then.

That's an interesting link, aiteal - thanks. I like the look of the slave handler, but I find the blowpipe fellow the most appealing.

Here are some of the putative units for the project. Many still need to make the acquaintance of Biostrip, but you can see the lines I'm going to work along. Not in the photo are the wizard on the palanquin, the cold-one riders, the various goofy late-period Slann and Trish Morrison's rather better first stab at the species (like the two painted ones in the final photo). I'm going to start with the Perry sculpts and then consider whether to leave some of the best Morrison ones individually based for skirmish (and Dragon Rampant "extras") or whether to (re)base them all up for HOTT.

The Magnificent Svenn types (Perry, but slottabased) fit really well with the preslotta ones and so will go in with them.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 10:16:47 AM by Hobgoblin »

Offline theottovonbismark

• Librarian
  • theottovonbismark.wordpress.com
    • TheOttoVonBismark
Re: Stand-ins for Slann slaves? And other Slann plans ...
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 05:11:42 PM »
Nice paint jobs on the Slann.  The light blue skin with cream under belly works very nicely indeed.
Otto

http://theottovonbismark.wordpress.com/

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 03:13:32 PM »
Mantic have these coming at some point.

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 06:03:42 PM »
How about looking at :-
A) bald headed ancient egyptians
b) Incas
c aztecs

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 12:56:09 PM »
Nice paint jobs on the Slann.  The light blue skin with cream under belly works very nicely indeed.

Thanks! The scheme was based on this sort of tree frog:

Oddly enough, while rummaging in the cellar the other day, I discovered that - 25 or 26 years ago - I must have puzzled over the same question I posed on this thread. And lo! Lurking in the lead pile were quite a few Mayans or Incas or Aztecs (manufacturer unknown): certainly enough to get a couple of horde elements going.

Those Mantic frogs look very interesting indeed.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 01:03:47 PM »
Did you notice the Lucid Eye ( Warlord ) Savage Core Jaguar Tribe?

http://www.warlordgames.com/new-savage-core-jaguar-tribe/
Leadhead

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 01:44:29 PM »
Thanks! I hadn't seen those. They look just the ticket. If I need more after I've used up the newly rediscovered historicals, I'll certainly think about using those.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 02:19:20 PM »
Quality of those is good, much better than on the pics and the pj doesn't help them either. Seen them in the flesh but so far I only bought their Neanderthals, Simians and Cro-Mags ( + Not-Tarzan and Not-Jane  ;) ).