Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:58:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dragon Rampant - House Rules  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Vulture

• Librarian
  • Veteran wargamer
    • My Blog
Dragon Rampant - House Rules
« on: August 30, 2016, 07:52:07 PM »
Hi guys

Here are some house rules for Dragon Rampant.  They provide a number of rule clarifications and also some guidelines to help provide improve play balance  :)

You can find a link on my Blog. http://vultureswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/dragon-rampant-harrogate-wargames-club.html

Kind regards to all

Vulture

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity..."

My Wargaming Blog:  http://vultureswargamingblog.blogspot.com/

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Re: Dragon Rampant - House Rules
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:00:30 AM »
Very nice rule additions downloaded your PDF thanks!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Valvorik

• Student
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 11:18:41 PM »
Interesting.

I have not played enough DR to judge them but they look good off-hand.

One thing I have been wondering is given the powerful effect terrain can have "woods being an equalizer" etc., should there be "terrain placement rules" say the way there are in En Garde?

I've also pondered if Wild Charging units should be able to ignore or at least "shift focus from" if another option available any 1 Pt units.  The knights find mere peasants or snotlings (warhammer) so unworthy a foe that they only engage them as last resort.  Also stops a mere 1 pt unit being used too easily as "Wild Charge bait".

Offline Vulture

• Librarian
  • Veteran wargamer
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 11:03:25 AM »
Hi Valvorik

If fighting competition games I agree that terrain placement can have a profound effect on the game outcome.  For our club games, for most of them we set the terrain up and then roll randomly roll to see who starts on what side, unless of course it is a terrain specific scenario  :)

Our group very rarely uses 1pt units, as we have found they just tend to get in the way for both friend as well as foe.  I understand where you are coming from though, there is certainly an argument for Elite Knights to ignore such lowly scum... LOL   Easily introduced provided everyones in  agreement.  The counter argument is of course, if you want your Knights to be well controlled then you have to pay the points for them to become Level Headed.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 05:27:32 PM »
Perhaps the idea of fielding lowly 'scum' is to try to force the nasty knights into attacking where (and what) perhaps they don't want to... :D

But of course, altering the game to give you the gameplay you want is fine. It's an easy set to tweak after all. We enjoy it at my club and have been playing a few 'Dark Ages Arthurian' games with it as well as straight Fantasy.

I like some of the house rules in the document and may give some of them a go. We have found wizardlings not too powerful in our Fantasy games, but we usually field light foot as 'wizardlings' as they aren't too powerful and can either cast a spell or move/fight, etc, so it's not too unbalanced...

Offline Valvorik

• Student
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 01:57:43 AM »
Actually I remembered and looked up that there's a suggested houserule in Lion Rampant to allow Knights to ignore Serfs when determining Wild Charge targets (so I'm not so original).