Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:53:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690503
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Men Who Would Be Kings at Hereward Wargame Show (Photos - 5.9.16)  (Read 5994 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
If anyone is coming to the Hereward Wargame Show at Peterborough on Sunday 4th Sept, you may be interested to know that me and my good friend Andy MacTaggart are putting on another participation game of Osprey's imminent release, The Men Who Would Be Kings. Unlike last year's 1897 NW Frontier tomfoolery, this year we've de-camped to the Sudan and gone back in time to the 1880s. Expect a rather lovely village, tons of Beja warriors, somewhat wobbly Egyptians, stalwart British infantry and Sir Rodney (PG) Woodhouse (you'll see the reason for the 'PG' when you see the model!) and his hunting party, which includes his daughters Peony and Petunia who will clearly be in several degrees of trouble from the off!! Serious? Probably not... Fun? Hopefully bags of it!!  :D
If you are at the show do come and say 'hi' and, even better, roll some dice with us!!

(PS - Mr Moderator: I put this in the Colonial section rather than 'events' due to the publicising of the game itself rather than the show, but if that's wrong - my apologies and please move it forthwith.)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 05:20:55 PM by guitarheroandy »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: The Men Who Would Be Kings at Hereward Wargame Show Next Weekend
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 03:14:22 PM »
Won't be able to make the show, so will be pleased to see lots of photos on Monday ???  ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 04:49:35 PM »
Sadly already committed to go to Border Reiver show in Gateshead, otherwise I would have been there. TMWWBK rules are eagerly awaited and I've had them on pre-order since I first heard of them, being a latecomer to LR and DR. I have been following your work on these rules too, many thanks for the inspiration, and hope all goes well for Sunday  :)

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 06:48:31 PM »
I'll be there Andy.  :)
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 03:31:58 PM »
The book has just arrived at North Star.

http://northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=8541

Unfortunately I don't think we can get any copies to the Peterborough Show.

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 06:34:36 PM »

Drive to Peterborough wearing a spiv raincoat and sell copies to discrete, cash only purchasers in dark corners and with no questions asked?

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 07:54:40 PM »
The book has just arrived at North Star.

http://northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=8541

Aww.   :'(

I've pre-ordered mine through a reputable seller anyway.  ;)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 09:20:16 PM »
Drive to Peterborough wearing a spiv raincoat and sell copies to discrete, cash only purchasers in dark corners and with no questions asked?

That's exactly what I'd do  lol if Mrs Eyre hadn't already booked a wet weekend in Wales that I can't get out of.

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 04:24:59 PM »

That's exactly what I'd do  Laugh if Mrs Eyre hadn't already booked a wet weekend in Wales that I can't get out of.

Now that is a shame.  Because not only would i ave bought one, but I could have talked to you about a largish figure order I want to place  :'(

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 06:11:52 PM »
That's exactly what I'd do  lol if Mrs Eyre hadn't already booked a wet weekend in Wales that I can't get out of.
Sorry Nick, too much details lol
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline mdomino

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 03:22:13 AM »
What army lists exist in the rulebook?
Thanks.
Mike D

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 12:43:45 PM »
What army lists exist in the rulebook?
Thanks.
Mike D

There aren't 'army lists' as such, as that's not Dan Mersey's style to be that prescriptive, but there are 'force organisation' guides that help you to create the forces that are right for your chosen conflict - these suggest combinations of troop types/abilities that you could use if you wanted to. All the usual suspects are there, such as: Zulu Wars, NW Frontier, Boer wars, etc, plus US Indian wars and several others I can't remember off the top of my head. The trick is not to expect a full list of every option available but rather to research your chosen period then use the various troop types and options/upgrades/downgrades to customise them to get what you want. Works really well! Once the rules are out, I could do a little 'tutorial' on how I set up my NW Frontier forces for our fist two games if that would help?

Online TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 05:39:18 PM »
There aren't 'army lists' as such, as that's not Dan Mersey's style to be that prescriptive, but there are 'force organisation' guides that help you to create the forces that are right for your chosen conflict - these suggest combinations of troop types/abilities that you could use if you wanted to. All the usual suspects are there, such as: Zulu Wars, NW Frontier, Boer wars, etc, plus US Indian wars and several others I can't remember off the top of my head.

Dan's just listed them all here (I think you got the majority!)
http://merseybooks.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/armies-included-in-men-who-would-be.html

Once the rules are out, I could do a little 'tutorial' on how I set up my NW Frontier forces for our fist two games if that would help?
Yes please Andy.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: The Men Who Would Be Kings at Hereward Wargame Show (Photos - 5.9.16)
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 05:47:37 PM »
Here are some photos from yesterday. We played two games and, unlike all 4 play test games, the Anglo Egyptians achieved victory...TWICE!!!  :o

Much fun was had by all who played. I suspect we may have sold Osprey a few more copies of the rules!! Most of the minis in these pics belong to my friend Andy. Only the 'Adventurers' and the British in the village are mine. The village is by Adrian's Walls and the table was made by Mike Whitaker and Andy Miller from Peterborough Wargames Club. The rocky outcrops are aquarium accessories...

The scenario was simple: The Anglo-Egyptians had to hold the village! The Mahdists were allowed to 'recycle' two units of dead swordsmen who would appear randomly on the table. It all worked spiffingly well!!!  :D

« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 05:51:22 PM by guitarheroandy »

Offline gorillacrab

• Librarian
  • Horse and Musket buff
Re: The Men Who Would Be Kings at Hereward Wargame Show (Photos - 5.9.16)
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 06:55:38 PM »
A suitably impressive-looking game, as we'd expect. Can't wait until later in the month when the rules are available to all of us. It's been a very long wait.
Prof Challenger, I presume?