Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:44:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley Question: Using abilities and playing cards on non-player models?  (Read 2322 times)

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Hi, we ran into this issue in some recent Perilous Island games. Non-player models may not literally be "enemies" or "opponents", but if you're shooting at them or brawling with them, should they really have immunity to abilities and cards that work against "enemies" or "opponents"? In our case, such models included zombies and a Kong-like giant ape...

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
How did you have non-player models? Were these bystanders?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind

They were monsters in the scenarios, and run by the GM.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley

In Perilous Island there are several scenarios that include hostile NPC's -- Sinister Swamp, Lagoon of Terror, Blood Sacrifice, and 1 or 2 others. These NPC's have character profiles and are controlled by the scenario -- typically attacking whoever is closest.

Hi, we ran into this issue in some recent Perilous Island games. Non-player models may not literally be "enemies" or "opponents", but if you're shooting at them or brawling with them, should they really have immunity to abilities and cards that work against "enemies" or "opponents"? In our case, such models included zombies and a Kong-like giant ape...

If a NPC has a character profile and is not identified as friendly in the scenario, we consider it an "enemy". I've been meaning to update the glossary for months. Sorry for the confusion.  :o

As for "opponent" stuff. Do you have a specific example? Off the top of my head, I can't think of an "opponent" related card/ability that would apply to scenario NPC's...

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Thanks for the clarification, David! No, sorry, I can't think of any specific examples of the usage of "opponent" apart from our discussions during the game.

So, if an NPC enemy is closer to the shooter than a league enemy is, the NPC would generally be the priority target?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 03:56:38 AM by WuZhuiQiu »

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
  • Pulp Alley Phantom Agent
    • Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer
Hi

So I see the dreaded leader of the Scorpion League is here as well!

So it was the blood sacrifice scenario, a player wished to play a card on an innocent, giant, blood thirsty, cute gorilla. Sadly I do not remember the exact card, but may have been along the lines of "When an enemy activates..."

We have played it such that cards that modify an ability of the card player are good to play regardless of who they are fighting. In this case the card was an "enemy" card. The card may have been the restrict the enemy to 3" movement or some such effect. I deemed it (I was the GM), more in keeping with the sense of danger and the overall plot that the card would not have the impact the player wanted.

So far we have considered enemies to be members of other leagues, not the various NPCs, with or without stats. (i.e. zombies or lagoon terrors etc)

We are now advancing to the final chapter, and I am prepping for the next three scenarios. Obviously this could have an impact on those final scenarios, so I too am ken to hear the answer.

As always my friends and I have enjoyed the game immensely, and I appreciate your having answered so many of my questions.

I am hoping to post some of the many, many pictures we have of the games we have played thus far.

Chris
For more gaming stuff feel free to check out my blogs:
General blog: Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer @ http://menelduir.blogspot.ca/
Painting/building blog @ https://menelduirspainting.blogspot.com/
VSF related blog @ https://vsfadventuresofmenelduir.blogspot.com/

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
In Perilous Island there are several scenarios that include hostile NPC's -- Sinister Swamp, Lagoon of Terror, Blood Sacrifice, and 1 or 2 others. These NPC's have character profiles and are controlled by the scenario -- typically attacking whoever is closest.

Derp. Forgot about those scenario-based ones.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
So, if an NPC enemy is closer to the shooter than a league enemy is, the NPC would generally be the priority target?

Yes, if a hostile NPC is closer then it is the closest "enemy".

So it was the blood sacrifice scenario, a player wished to play a card on an innocent, giant, blood thirsty, cute gorilla. Sadly I do not remember the exact card, but may have been along the lines of "When an enemy activates..."

We have played it such that cards that modify an ability of the card player are good to play regardless of who they are fighting. In this case the card was an "enemy" card. The card may have been the restrict the enemy to 3" movement or some such effect. I deemed it (I was the GM), more in keeping with the sense of danger and the overall plot that the card would not have the impact the player wanted.

So far we have considered enemies to be members of other leagues, not the various NPCs, with or without stats. (i.e. zombies or lagoon terrors etc)

We are now advancing to the final chapter, and I am prepping for the next three scenarios. Obviously this could have an impact on those final scenarios, so I too am ken to hear the answer.

As always my friends and I have enjoyed the game immensely, and I appreciate your having answered so many of my questions.

I am hoping to post some of the many, many pictures we have of the games we have played thus far.

For us, once we slide a character into the enemy column they earn all the benefits. So we would have allowed the "enemy" card to played.  ;)

But the most important rule is "have fun". So if the GM decides a certain cards doesn't work on this NPC, well that's cool too.  lol lol

We look forward to seeing your photos!

THANKS for playing Pulp Alley.

HAVE FUN

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
Hi

Going down the rabbit hole a little bit more, would you allow a stated GM controlled enemy to get a fortune card at the start of each turn?
While I am have no interest in killing the players (it is their game and up to them to kill each other :)) I do want certain threats to remain, well,  threatening.

The encounter with the lagoon terror was not as challenging as I might have liked. I do not want the players to feel they can ignore a threat from a terror.

Chris

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
The innocent ape in question...

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: Pulp Alley Question: Using abilities and playing cards on non-player models?
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 09:05:41 PM »
The innocent ape in question...

Innocent, indeed! They should be ashamed.  ;D

With the mantle of GM'dom comes great power. But you must use your powers for good!  ;)

Re: GM controlled enemy to get a fortune card at the start of each turn?

We've done this a few times and it was lots of fun. You should try it and see how you goes for you guys.

At some point, this can simply become being another "player". So I would encourage limiting your own use of cards to player vs. environment situations (perils, plot points, and monsters).

HAVE FUN

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
Going down the rabbit hole a little bit more, would you allow a stated GM controlled enemy to get a fortune card at the start of each turn?
While I am have no interest in killing the players (it is their game and up to them to kill each other :)) I do want certain threats to remain, well,  threatening.

When I GM a scenario I'll draw Fortune cards to play as the npc side. I think it adds a bit more fun and excitement to the scenario.  ;)

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com