Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:43:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rocky terrain -  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
Rocky terrain -
« on: September 01, 2016, 09:33:45 AM »
I was gifted some terrain pieces this week from a friend who had found them in "tat" box at an auction house. Picked up for few £s

so after much digging around trying to find who made them I found the are by JG Miniatures http://www.jgminiatures.com/collections/scenic who mainly do stuff for 54mm display stuff - but some of thier ranges will work for 28mm so thought worth sharing.Obviously not the cheapest by any means, but might be of interest to you

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 09:35:52 AM by Deedles »
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Online Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Rocky terrain -
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 09:43:29 AM »
They look great.  You're not wrong about the prices though!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 02:21:36 PM »
Awesome stuff, I've been looking at  resin shop in California here which does one-off pieces on eBay, might be trying them soon.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 03:16:50 PM »
Thanks for sharing. The small Zulu hut (£8.25) and the small Celtic hut (£19.25) might tempt me.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 03:53:21 PM »
You had a right result there, they look great.
 :-*

They look great.  You're not wrong about the prices though!

It may be worth having a look at aquarium rocks for a cheaper option.

This rock was about £6...

And the big lad about a tenner....

A simple paintjob, mostly drybrushing, and a few bits of scenic material and they are perfectly serviceable I reckon.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 04:11:27 PM »
Nice enough pieces but I have to ask: why not scratch build your pieces?  Then you can get rock work that resembles the southwest Apache country.  'Cause having traveled through there, these don't look so right for the vast majority of the country.  Google "rock formations of the desert southwest" to see what I mean. But, heck, sometimes we have to use what we have so don't discard your work.

My next couple of terrain projects are building some mesas for the southwest and then some cliff pieces (for various environments but especially the French and Indian War).  After that, a half dozen kopjes for Arica and I'll be good except for some more confers to replace the ones I have now. But first I must finish my mountain pass project which is now fully primed for painting. 

Maybe it's the John Ford influence on gaming - he picked spectacular scenery for his movies but not much really happened there of note.  

Heck, reflecting a moment, I will build at least one cliff piece to match the more recent Last of the Mohicans, a story which takes place in the mountains of New York but was filmed in North Carolina!

Anyone out there able to loan me about twenty years so I can get caught up on my projects!?  :D

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 04:17:55 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 05:25:18 PM »
You had a right result there, they look great.
 :-*

It may be worth having a look at aquarium rocks for a cheaper option

Indeed , that was somewhere else I thought of. These were a nice surprise though. I shall also be popping in and seeing if they get anymore!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 09:14:08 PM by Deedles »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 06:13:52 PM »
Nice enough pieces but I have to ask: why not scratch build your pieces?  Then you can get rock work that resembles the southwest Apache country.  'Cause having traveled through there, these don't look so right for the vast majority of the country.  Google "rock formations of the desert southwest" to see what I mean. But, heck, sometimes we have to use what we have so don't discard your work.

My next couple of terrain projects are building some mesas for the southwest and then some cliff pieces (for various environments but especially the French and Indian War).  After that, a half dozen kopjes for Arica and I'll be good except for some more confers to replace the ones I have now. But first I must finish my mountain pass project which is now fully primed for painting. 

Maybe it's the John Ford influence on gaming - he picked spectacular scenery for his movies but not much really happened there of note.  

Heck, reflecting a moment, I will build at least one cliff piece to match the more recent Last of the Mohicans, a story which takes place in the mountains of New York but was filmed in North Carolina!

Anyone out there able to loan me about twenty years so I can get caught up on my projects!?  :D

Short answer?  Time and money (and combining the two).

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 09:08:28 PM »

certainly it is a time v cost benefit decision although i do often like making unique pieces too

yes John Ford certainly created the look a lot of people have to associate with the Western genre.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 10:44:25 PM »
Ir was certainly the 'time' element when it came to these.
I just wanted something quick and easy that I can use in a variety of games and these fit the bill.

Anyway, my Old West setting is very much 'Hollywood-influenced' so I am not getting too worried about being too accurate with things.
I just want to get them on the table for a game in the quickest and easiest method possible.
They will do for me.
 ;)

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 04:37:52 AM »
Google rock formations in Apache lands and you'll see lots of examples of that same stacked buttermilk biscuit look.

The Archuleta Mesa and the Chiricahua National Monument are good examples of that.

http://www.desertusa.com/desert-arizona/apache-country.html

You need special permission from the ETs to get on some of those mesas though.  But don't accept any hitchhikers, specially if it is late at night and they look like little kids.  No matter how much they plead, don't open your door for any creepy ghostly "Black-Eyed Kids".  :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 09:35:12 AM by Cacique Caribe »