Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:38:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: House Rules - Mounted Models  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Dalcor

• Librarian
    • Wargaming ASP Club
House Rules - Mounted Models
« on: September 01, 2016, 05:40:15 PM »
Today I have seen beautiful themed dwarves from Reaper with Polar Bear with dwarf rider as center piece. I have asked the player what will the model "count as" he said its only center piece. I think its sorry not to see those beautifull skirmish mounted models on tabletop. Be it Halfling Knight on Bronze Dragon from Reaper, Bear rider from Ax Factions, Dwarfs from Scibor. So I thought about house rule. As you can see I am no native speaker so please excuse language fails, and as my group is not playing Frostgrave to much nowadays (as we are unhappy with randomnity) there are things I could miss rules wise so please comment and update. I tried to set up rules to follow the tenets of the game design not to twist them so much.

Mounted Models
Only models that allows Group Activation can be mounted
Stas for the mount are either Hound (as any animal suitable to carry the model -horse, badger, fox, wolf...) or any of the Animal Companions if the spellcaster is able to cast this spell. Mount is considered as single model for purposes of Group activation (therefore you can activate spellcaster, mount and up to two soldiers). Mount is considered as supporting model for purposes of Multiple Combat (spellcaster or captain and mount are therefore considered as two unique models for purposes of splitting combat - page 37).
Mount and mounted units can be activated ONLY in Group Activation. They have to move first according to the rules of group Activation. They can move inches according to the movement of the mount.
Mount has to follow actions of the mounted model except spellcasting and special actions. Mount have to attacks same target as mounted model. During spellcasting and special action the mount should stand on the spot. Therefore mounted model casting spell CAN'T benefit from mounts move + move action. You know its hard to concentrate on galloping wolf.
You can Mount and Dismount as Move Action. In case of dismount both models are considered single models according to rules from now on, untill mount again. You can dismount anywhere in base contact with the mount and of course mount only if in base contact with the mount.
To pick up Treasure you should be dismounted.

New Item:
Saddlebags, 100GP, Mount can carry up to three treasures
Leather Barding 100GP, Increase Mounts Armor by 1
Heavy Barding 200Gp, Increase Mounts Armor by 2 can not be stacked with other Barding
Optional for Rule Animal Companion: in case Animal Companion is killed, follow rules Injury and Dearh for soldiers (page50) in Out of Game phase.

Thougths: May be Golem as a mount could be cool, but not zombie, but what about revenant?

Offline Steelwraith

• Bookworm
Re: House Rules - Mounted Models
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 01:10:07 AM »
Why not a zombie? A Necromancer on an undead horse would be appropriate, as could a mounted vampire.

Offline Dalcor

• Librarian
    • Wargaming ASP Club
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 09:29:19 PM »
Necromancer has Call Animal at -2. However I though that Zombie mount with Movement 4 does not make a sense. Moreover necromacer will call demonic steed or zombie horse. I think that you will find suitable animal stat to substitute for the appropriate mount.

Optional: I think that Undead or Demon as a extra free keyword ability could be used without any limitation, or may be increase in CN+1

Same it is with Golem, I believe that golem walkers should be very nice option as well. Same as mechanized striders.

The good think on Frotgrave is that it is so abstract, that you can creaty anything in basic rules...

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 10:58:54 PM »
Some time ago I brainstormed an idea for mounted rules, but treated the mount and the rider as one model.  However, I initially came up with it as a soldier type rather than an option for heroes, but the same rules could apply.

Cavalier

Move: 8 / Fight: +4 / Shoot: +0 / Armor: 14 / Will: +1 / Health: 12

Equipment:  Hand Weapon, Shield, Mail Armor, Barded Steed
*Barded Steed: +1 Armor (bonus already included); may not climb; may not carry treasure.
*Control Animal Spell:  Mounted soldiers may be affected by the Control Animal Spell; however, the effects of the spell are identical to the Mind Control spell (including a Will save after each activation, as the rider attempts to regain control of his steed), with the exception that the controlled mounted soldier cannot attack while the spell is activated.

I do think that +2 Armor for heavy barding might be a bit too much, and could be open to abuse with the Shield spell and other item options (A Thaumaturge can already have 16 Armor with the Armor of Righteousness, Shield spell activated, and defense amulet and ring, and an effective 18 Armor in melee if equipped with the Staff of Defense (whatever it's called), which subtracts 2 from melee damage instead of the normal 1. 

Offline Dalcor

• Librarian
    • Wargaming ASP Club
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 06:55:11 AM »
I thought about it as well, and its wanderfull idea. I have had two issues of mounted soldier profile

Up to now, there is no soldier with extreme movement able to pick up treasure, that was something I dont want to break

In case of cavalier your are so limited with only this option as a mounted model. But I like for example Pathfnder Gnome Druid traveling on her sabertooth tiger... so I wend tat way.

Offline Davies

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 09:13:41 AM »
I read somewhere that incoming Forgotten pacts supplement will include rules for mounts, as the wooly rhino on the cover.

Offline Weezbeez37

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 04:09:49 PM »
I'm in favor of mounted miniatures but as said before I don't want to tweak the rules too much or make them too complicated.

Now as a slight hijack of this link, (sorry in advance) I have a couple centaur mini's that I'd like to incorporate into my beastman warband and I was thinking about using some modified "mounts" rules. My idea was to have their move 8, stats for an infantryman and give them the Large special rule. I don't think that this would be too ground breaking rules wise but I'd like your opinion.

Weez

Offline Roger

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 06:20:32 PM »
Im not sure I agree with the mounted idea for the frozen city or underground scenarios, but if forgotten pacts is a different area, then will wait to see.
I would think if you're house modding rules and setting be damned :) then the mount should have to count as a warband member .And you'll have to buy a stable to house said beast.
just my 2c.
Roger
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 06:22:18 PM by Roger »
You know its a good day when, you wake up and your elbows dont hit wood :)