Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:34:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Fabulous Art of Trudvang - Fantastic artbook arrived!  (Read 11386 times)

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
Re: The Fabulous Art of Trudvang - Fantastic artbook arrived!
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2016, 09:38:48 AM »
This looks splendid. I somehow missed the KS which I would have bought into had I seen it.  :(.

What's the background here? Is there an RPG available or...?

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2016, 10:40:52 AM »
Trudvang is the setting for the later (2000-) editions of the swedish RPG Drakar & Demoner. It's a BRP-derived system. All the Trudvang books have had phenomenal art in them, but there's been some ups and downs in the publishing of the RPG and the rules are not brilliant.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2016, 11:01:10 AM »
Linky dink

https://online.riotminds.com

Reminds me, I think there was a digital copy of the rules with the art book, or sumpthin'? I'll have to chase that up.

Edit: Yup. I thought I'd just pledged for the book, but I'd actually gone one higher for the RPG rules. Maybe that'll give me the background I crave.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:29:07 AM by Vermis »

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2016, 08:38:52 PM »
I too was persuaded by this thread to back this and am very glad I did. Stunningly good. Agree that a bit more text might have been nice but I too should probably look at the online stuff which I also pledged for...

But my main question is, does anyone have any figure suggestions for trolls &c that might have a comparable look?

Midnight Workshop Borderlands trolls look promising, and maybe some older Citadel figures. There's a Reaper Ice Troll that's fairly close, too.

Obviously the Bonner/Tapia style is very distinctive and possibly not directly imitable without copyright infringement, but I wondered whether anyone else had mulled over this question and come up with anything interesting.

Grateful for any thoughts or suggestions!

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2016, 09:02:58 PM »
Severian, for a start have a look here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=66786.0
There are some pictures missing at the start of this post, but further down you can see two very nice trolls directly out of a Bonner painting ...

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2016, 09:17:29 AM »
Thanks Admiral - I had in fact seen that thread, as I should have mentioned earlier. They are indeed nice trolls, but I'm not sure if they're still available (I missed the KS).
But sadly there are only two of them in any case; I'm thinking about a troll warband for Dragon Rampant, and will need a few more.

I suppose what I'm mean is, I'm curious whether anyone makes figures of "authentic" Scandinavian trolls of the sort that Bonner and others have painted: something in the overall style, not necessarily direct copies of particular paintings or drawings.

As I say, I've got a few thoughts already but always keen to hear others' ideas.

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2016, 02:44:02 PM »
Ok, here some more suggestions from my own Bonner-like troll warband (have them all, but not painted):

The Bloodrage KS troll on the right.

The Bloodrage KS mystic troll.

The Zombicide:Black Plague Klom troll. Exactly Bonner design and a very nice miniature ...

First from the left and second from the right: the two Red Box Games trolls, again very Bonner-like types.

That should leave you with a nice Dragon Rampant troll warband for a start. Have a look at the kickstarters, sometimes you can order the miniatures even after closing time, and when not: happy hunting on Ebay, they should be available there. But don't pay ridiculous prices, they are only plastic minis ...  :)

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2016, 03:44:13 PM »
Excellent, very many thanks. A fine gathering of trolls! I'll keep my eyes open for them. You're right about silly prices on ebay, though...

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2016, 02:16:43 PM »
Just in case anyone is interested, Riotminds are running another KS for English language hard copies of their RPG rules:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1256540796/trudvang-chronicles

I expect most of the artwork will already be included in the dedicated artbook, although they say some new illustrations have been commissioned. However it should supply the context to the (occasionally puzzling) pictures there. My own interest is mainly for background to skirmish gaming, rather than as an RPG, but you never know.

Hefty shipping costs as before, but looks like a flat rate; and there are some good stretch goals already unlocked with 26 days to go. The whole bundle even including shipping looks a good bargain at this stage.

Offline Globlin

• Librarian
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2016, 10:16:06 PM »
I missed out on the artbook, but have decided to go in on their latest kickstarter. As you say the postage costs are high, but it's a decent package. Like you I'm more interested in the background, but I might be able to convince a few of my gaming buddies to run the adventure book...
Adventures? Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2016, 11:19:51 PM »
Well, it's clocking through the stretch goals - you now get half a dozen books plus a bonus pdf adventure. Interested to see what else might emerge if they unlock all the existing goals (which at the current rate might happen by this weekend).

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2016, 04:57:13 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. Too bad they aren't offering the art book as an an add-on.  I suppose most of the same art will actually be in the books however?  Doubt I will ever play this but I am interested in the background and art too, so I will likely pick it up...

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2016, 05:42:11 PM »
My definite sense is that the great majority of the art in the artbook is taken directly from the RPG books, so I think you'd get a good deal of what's in the artbook but in its original context. Of course some of it may well come from volumes that haven't yet been translated.

As of a few days ago, there were I think a few artbooks left for direct sale via their main website, or so I read in an email. They may have all gone now, of course, and I imagine the shipping would be high as usual... But whilst there is some background in the artbook, there's not really enough to do more than intrigue me enough to want to know more; so even though I also rather doubt I'll ever play it, I'm keen to get the RPG books (to add to my collection of unplayed RPGs...)