Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:28:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686622
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Aeronef project - blame it on Ray Rivers (Updated 5-10-09) Painting Done!  (Read 17848 times)

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Aeronef project - blame it on Ray Rivers (Updated 2-2)
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 10:10:19 AM »
Project coming along very well and thank you for the updates.

One suggestion concerning the railings.  Why not add a small round bead to the top of the toothpick and thread the rope/wire through it?

I hope this helps.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 03:35:20 PM »
Regarding the chin cannon, why don't you just saw it off behind the muzzle break.
Make it look stubbier.
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 03:56:27 PM »
Very nice and impressive!!

If you make the undercarriage removable it can be doubled as an ocean going vessel,too!

Nice thought, but we're about 2 days too far for that to work. I tend to overbuild things, and there is no way that thing is coming apart without severe breakage.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 03:57:31 PM »
Project coming along very well and thank you for the updates.

One suggestion concerning the railings.  Why not add a small round bead to the top of the toothpick and thread the rope/wire through it?

I hope this helps.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

Oh my. I have a huge bag of beads right beside my workspace, and I never even considered that option. Consider this idea stolen.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 08:43:04 PM »
Absolutely stunning.

Not sure about the chin mount though - the gun doesn't look at all right.

Maybe some kind of bomb rail might be a better ground attack option - perhaps something like a 1940s depth charge rack ?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 12:17:24 AM »
Very nice and impressive!!

If you make the undercarriage removable it can be doubled as an ocean going vessel,too!

Nice thought, but we're about 2 days too far for that to work. I tend to overbuild things, and there is no way that thing is coming apart without severe breakage.

Mmm let's think .......

OK the new invention of Victorian Science (or better LAFers VSF) is time to be revealed :

submarine/underwater  gun

[Ok you will find the next problem: how underwater parts can be displayed on a water line model one the table!
More thinking ........

sorry no results yet]
argsilverson

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 12:28:40 AM »
It's coming along great.  And fast!  You sure you're not German?  I wasn't too sure about that cockpit at first but it's starting to look like less of an afterthought and more of an integrated component.  Question: How do you cut your plasticard?  It looks pretty darn thick and I'm wondering how you cut straight lines, as well as the angled edges.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 05:38:08 AM »
It's coming along great.  And fast!  You sure you're not German?  I wasn't too sure about that cockpit at first but it's starting to look like less of an afterthought and more of an integrated component.  Question: How do you cut your plasticard?  It looks pretty darn thick and I'm wondering how you cut straight lines, as well as the angled edges.

My grandparents were from the old country on my father's side - and from Norway on my mother's. So there is enough Teutonic to increase my efficiency greatly!

I use a sharp exacto knife blade and a metal straight edge - I used to do custom fabrication with plastics (spent ten years at it) before I went into a sales position, so I am never surprised at how a material works anymore.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Aeronef project - blame it on Ray Rivers (Updated 2-7)(almost done)
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2009, 01:09:25 AM »
Aha! We are almost done. I just need to scrape together the funds for the Reviresco guns I want to use, and we'll be ready to rumble.

Here is the side, with the ridiculous number of pins for rivets.

Here is the front view. I added a searchlight to the front, and you can see how I cut the battle cannon down - it looks much better this way. I also added some shields from Empire swordsmen to the front corners to give it a little more flavor. The bead idea was a very good one, and you can see the rope rails.

This is, of course, the other side.

This is a closeup of the rear of the vessel.

I went for a closer view of the ladder/handholds I set up on the side. This was me saying no to a rope ladder setup, and not caring for stairs.

Another view of the searchlight and battle cannon.

A view of the inside of the command structure.

And a shot with my German Zeppelin Troopers on board for scale, and a bit of color. The gun is my lascannon for them - as I have said before, my Imperial Guard army for GW 40K is made up of Murch's germans.

Next, I need to get the 6' naval rifle from Reviresco, and a couple of 12lb quick firing guns on pintle mounts, and then I can paint it.

Whattay think?

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 01:48:26 AM »
SO nice!  I have a suggestion for you though.  Lose the lion shields on the bow.  Go to any crafts store (such as Michaels, here in the USA) and look among the buttons and pendants for silhouettes.  These ALWAYS look Victorian/Edwardian.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2009, 03:08:47 AM »
Very, very, very, very nice!

I really like the way you set up the hull and superstructure.

Now all we need is a bit of paint!   ;)

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 06:00:09 AM »
Three things from me.
1. The Deck cannon, I am sure you are planning to do something with this, because the way it is looks like it would just roll off the deck.
2. a Deck hatch in the superstructure so they can get inside.
3. Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic :o :o ;D
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2009, 06:25:18 AM »
Three things from me.
1. The Deck cannon, I am sure you are planning to do something with this, because the way it is looks like it would just roll off the deck.
2. a Deck hatch in the superstructure so they can get inside.
3. Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic :o :o ;D

Three replies:
1: The deck cannon was merely there for scale - I am ordering the 6" cannon from Reviresco to put in that location.
2: There is one - you can't see it from any of the angles. Allow me to remedy that - and show that I am now putting a coat of paint on it. I am going with a medium blue gray for the base coat, and will wing it from there.

3: Thank you.  :D

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2009, 01:01:15 PM »
Dunno...

If you haven't order the gun yet, you might consider the 8" Rifled Muzzle Loader on Pintle Mount.  This is the gun I was first thinking about buying.  It is a large gun which swivels about from front to side and just looks, at least to me... dominating.

The 6" which I have, I ended up getting because I decided I want a gun that was in a protected area, and it seemed to be more appropriate.  The 6" also has some small and fragile pieces, so beware that it may be easily damaged.

Whatever your choice a BIG gun will serve you well.   :D

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2009, 05:18:26 PM »
Dunno...

If you haven't order the gun yet, you might consider the 8" Rifled Muzzle Loader on Pintle Mount.  This is the gun I was first thinking about buying.  It is a large gun which swivels about from front to side and just looks, at least to me... dominating.

The 6" which I have, I ended up getting because I decided I want a gun that was in a protected area, and it seemed to be more appropriate.  The 6" also has some small and fragile pieces, so beware that it may be easily damaged.

Whatever your choice a BIG gun will serve you well.   :D
I had considered it, but I don't care for the look of that style compared to a pintle mount, so I'd rather get the one you have. Besides, I also have the downward pointing big guy - which has got to be at least an 18" barrel diameter in scale.