Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:27:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689486
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Panzers in the Golan Heights  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Vulture

• Librarian
  • Veteran wargamer
    • My Blog
Panzers in the Golan Heights
« on: September 06, 2016, 07:10:06 PM »
Guys

I've added a link in my blog to an interesting article on Panzers in the Golan Heights.  

http://vultureswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/panzers-in-golan-heights.html

Direct link to the article here:  https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/2016/09/04/panzers-in-the-golan-heights/

Kind regards to all

Vulture

« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 10:43:41 PM by Vulture »
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity..."

My Wargaming Blog:  http://vultureswargamingblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
Re: Panzers in the Golan Heights
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 10:21:32 PM »
How shall I put this.

You put up a link to your Blogpost, which is literally nothing more then a link to the article (which is very good, don't get me wrong)

I feel a bit used now, like I fell for clickbait. If this is meant to draw more people to your Blog, it just put me off of it. You could have just pointed us directly to the article.

Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Vulture

• Librarian
  • Veteran wargamer
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 10:39:46 PM »
How shall I put this.

You put up a link to your Blogpost, which is literally nothing more then a link to the article (which is very good, don't get me wrong)

I feel a bit used now, like I fell for clickbait. If this is meant to draw more people to your Blog, it just put me off of it. You could have just pointed us directly to the article.

Errrm, well I did explicity say that there was a link from my blog to the site, butno worries, I'll modify the posting to add a direct link.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 08:03:52 PM by Vulture »

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 07:38:09 PM »

Excluding the mini "link polemic", this is all very intresting! I was wondering what happened to all that hardware after the war… especialy the german stuff, thanks for sharing!

Also, I’ve saw a picture of "Bomb" on your blog, very nice. I saw this tank in the city I used to live in (Sherbrooke) and was wondering how common it was for Sherman to survive the whole NWE campaing.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 07:39:40 PM by Calimero »
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Vulture

• Librarian
  • Veteran wargamer
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 08:21:14 PM »
Excluding the mini "link polemic", this is all very intresting! I was wondering what happened to all that hardware after the war… especialy the german stuff, thanks for sharing!

Also, I’ve saw a picture of "Bomb" on your blog, very nice. I saw this tank in the city I used to live in (Sherbrooke) and was wondering how common it was for Sherman to survive the whole NWE campaing.

Cheers!

When we say 'survive' that is a question in itself.  Large numbers of tanks were KO'd but then subsequently repaired either by unit or division repair workshops.  More serious repairs would sent to army level repair shops or sometimes sent to the factory.   Tanks generally were only 'written-off' if they had suffered a catastrophic explosion or a large fire.
There is an interview on the web I saw with an American soldier whose job it was to process KO'd tanks.  Over the course of the NWE campaign he had dealt with over 600+ tanks.  Given that the strength of the Div was at the most 150 that means that each tank of the unit roster was at least KO'd 4 times.  

Sooo, to answer your question, yes, it will have been common for tanks to survive the campaign, but very very few would not have been KO'd multiple times over that period...

just my ramblings...  :)

kind regards

Vulture
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 08:23:08 PM by Vulture »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 10:34:07 AM »
The linked article is very interesting. I hadn't really thought about the immediate post war era where all the smaller nations were busy re-arming, often using German kit.

Then there is the Syrian purchase of stuff another 10 years later. It did seem a little unfair to be sent to war in a PzIV against Isreali Centruions.

I'm not sure I agree with the last line about the quality of the German engineering, as there were plenty of T34s and Shermans running around at the same time and later. Probably says more that most tanks are pretty tough.

Offline Vulture

• Librarian
  • Veteran wargamer
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 07:33:57 PM »
The linked article is very interesting. I hadn't really thought about the immediate post war era where all the smaller nations were busy re-arming, often using German kit.

Then there is the Syrian purchase of stuff another 10 years later. It did seem a little unfair to be sent to war in a PzIV against Isreali Centruions.

I'm not sure I agree with the last line about the quality of the German engineering, as there were plenty of T34s and Shermans running around at the same time and later. Probably says more that most tanks are pretty tough.

I agree with your last sentence.  Tanks by their very design are pretty tough :)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 08:20:26 PM »
That may come under stating the obvious...

Offline Vulture

• Librarian
  • Veteran wargamer
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 08:31:34 PM »
That may come under stating the obvious...
LOL, oh okay

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 11:01:11 PM »
Nice article
Thanks