Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:17:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Starting up wargaming from scratch: what essential terrain?  (Read 8451 times)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Starting up wargaming from scratch: what essential terrain?
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2016, 12:01:14 PM »
If you have space problems then some of the old model railway baseboard solutions might be for you.
You could try using paste/decorating tables. You can get them for around £10 to £15 apiece. They are lightweight softwood frames with hardboard tops and foldable legs. They even have carrying handles on the sides. They are usually discounted as being too long and narrow but there's nothing to stop you modifying them
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4831787.htm

There are several options;-
a) You could use them as is.
b) As is but with the legs removed if you have a suitable table surface to put them on (add battens at each end to allow for the depth of the central hinges so it'll sit flat).
c) You could turn them upside down, remove the legs that way you could create pre-made framed trays into which you can fit styrofoam terrain boards. You might find the hinges get in the way though and want to remove them. You could always replace them with piano hinge on one of the long sides so it folds the other way.
d) If you get 2 paste tables you could join the four sections together either with dowel pegs/coach bolts/clamps or even piano hinges on the long sides and have multiple fold-open protected terrain boards...

If I cannot get a single piece of 4 x 4 MDF cut I may do a solution similar in construction to the paste table with space inside, but of a bit heavier spec. I hadn't thought of using that space for terrain storage but that is indeed a very good idea.
The problem with a paste table per se is that it is so lightweight that it is easily knocked by children or clumsy gamers like myself. Great portable board for the 15mm people and smaller though. Thanks for the ideas!
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2016, 09:10:03 PM »
Alternative...

Make a metal board and attach it to the wall...magnetize everything and play from an over-head view on the wall!  lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2016, 10:30:50 PM »
Alternative...

Make a metal board and attach it to the wall...magnetize everything and play from an over-head view on the wall!  lol

Er....no. lol

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2016, 10:40:54 PM »
Alternative...

I've seen that done. A few years ago a chap I knew painted up Heaven and Hell armies for HOTT and stuck them on a vertical board. The magnets weren't always strong enough for the larger figures....... :o :(

Offline MartinR

• Scientist
    • The games we play
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2016, 09:25:25 AM »
Magnets can be quite good. I keep my 1/3000th scale ships in metal tins, with battleships in the bottom, cruisers on the sides and destroyers upside down under the lid. The odd one falls off occasionally, but generally it is fine.
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2016, 12:19:45 PM »
I got my wargaming table sorted today. 12mm MDF, the simplest option. Had to pay for it to be delivered but at lest got it cut to size for free. Now for some terrain....

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2016, 12:34:49 PM »
I thought it might be of interest to others to tot up how much this project is costing me so far.
 12mm MDF Board:          £30.    The board itself was only £15 but I had no choice but to have it delivered which doubled the price.  I got it cut to size for free though. The slim board can be stored out of sight in my room behind the piano, which is an important consideration. Other options I considered would have been cheaper and able for me to carry home in pieces, but when assembled would not have been able to be hidden so easily.
 9mm Cork Tiles for modular terrain £72.39 The price of cork has shot through the roof. I had to buy more than £60 worth to get free delivery, so my order includes 12 thinner tiles for making buildings. I still consider this good value as I will have more than for my immediate needs and once made, the terrain will last for many years.
I have also saved @ £30 on not needing to buy a river.

Running total: £102.39

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2016, 11:26:00 AM »
Bought some tools and stuff today that I will need for the project so must add these costs in

Cheap jigsaw for cutting cork tiles £9.93
Big pot of wood glue                   £4.99
Heavy stanley knife                     £4.99
couple of paint tester pots             £3.18
pack of cheap paintbrushes            £2.47

Running total: £127.95

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2016, 01:45:45 PM »
More wood glue                   £5
2 grass terrain mats             £12.99

Running total:   £145.94

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2016, 01:01:53 PM »
Haha fun and games cutting out the modular terrain pieces. I burnt out the jigsaw.  after only a few cuts. I am going to take it back.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2016, 04:04:33 PM »
Gah. :-[

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2016, 07:02:33 PM »
I guess you get what you pay for.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2016, 02:22:17 PM »
just read about your jigsaw burning out - assume it was cutting cork tiles? If it was the cork tiles I am not surprised.

Cork is very flexible and expands when cut - this will effectively mean as you are cutting it will 'grip' the blade. Hence the burning out.

Best way to cut cork is with a very sharp knife.