Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:53:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Dark Ages Stuff.....New Viking unit...Updated 6/28  (Read 13674 times)

Offline Madhouse Workshop

• Bookworm
    • http://psychosispc-themadhouseworkshop.blogspot.com/
Re: My Dark Ages Stuff.....A converted Viking Warlord....Update
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2017, 05:12:34 PM »
Shields!  A bit of WIP on my paint desk at the moment.  Getting ready to finish off a pretty good batch of dark ages miniatures.  These are a variety some hand painted, some Little Big Men, and some Battle Flag.

Having a bit of fun this morning.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 12:05:31 AM by Madhouse Workshop »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: My Dark Ages Stuff.....Shields in WIP....Updated 2/4
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2017, 07:30:15 PM »
Marvellous dispaly of shields!  :-*

I don't want to be nitpicking, but a couple of those may violate the forum's rules on use of iconography.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

• Bookworm
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2017, 09:21:07 PM »
Hmmm.....I think I know what you are referring to. Never gave that a thought as they are not the right colors to me and something that I have seen in Viking historical references.  Those are two of Battle Flag transfers.  I can probably easily paint those into quarters or something.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2017, 09:48:01 PM »
Hmmm.....I think I know what you are referring to. Never gave that a thought as they are not the right colors to me and something that I have seen in Viking historical references.  Those are two of Battle Flag transfers.  I can probably easily paint those into quarters or something.

I don't think you need to change them, just avoid showing them (or 'cover' them in an image editor).

I do not doubt that Vikings used the swastika, as it was used all over Europe and Asia down through history, it's just that German law is very strict about symbols used by the nazi regime and organizations (and likenesses thereof). Perhaps ask the moderator before doing anything?

• Bookworm
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2017, 12:11:31 AM »
I don't think you need to change them, just avoid showing them (or 'cover' them in an image editor).

I do not doubt that Vikings used the swastika, as it was used all over Europe and Asia down through history, it's just that German law is very strict about symbols used by the nazi regime and organizations (and likenesses thereof). Perhaps ask the moderator before doing anything?

Bwah....just went ahead and covered them.  If anyone is wondering what we are talking about you can see it on the Battle Flag viking transfers.  I should be able to paint match the green and white and modify them.

Offline Tordenkuglen

• Bookworm
  • Tordenkuglen aka Thunderball
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2017, 08:35:31 AM »
awesome looking shields, if you dont need them you can allways send them to Denmark, Ill use them for sure :D
Playing or wanting to play: FoW, Swordpoint, Saga, Donny Brook, Sharp Practice, Soldiers of God, Trafalgar, Check your Six, Hail Caesar, Pike n Shotte, Black Powder and much more. main interests in wargaming periods is between Iron and Black Powder.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2017, 08:50:03 AM »
What a great collection
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

• Bookworm
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2017, 01:35:34 PM »
awesome looking shields, if you dont need them you can allways send them to Denmark, Ill use them for sure :D

Thanks for the compliments.

And Oh I need all of them shields and more.  I some how miscounted and I'm painting more of them this morning.....never done.   ;D

Offline Gracchus Armisurplus

• Scientist
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2017, 02:19:13 AM »
See how you've got a little bit of ballooning around the bosses on some of the LBMS decals? If you cut a series of little spokes into the transfer around the boss hole you can minimise that, and if you put some blu-tak (or similar product) into some cling wrap and then use that to press firmly onto the newly applied decal then you'll practically rliminate the ballooning problem altogether. The blu-tak/cling wrap step also helps to seat the decals against any raised shield rims :)

• Bookworm
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2017, 01:34:05 PM »
That's partly why I like to photo things, I'm not using any magnification while painting.  Photos definitely magnify things.  These are not competition pieces so I'm not overly concerned with them, just my tabletop play pieces. 

Actually the Battle Flag transfers are the worse offenders of this than the Little Big Men transfers.  The Battle Flag are traditional waterslide transfers and not sticky back...err....or is it front....err.....well sticky sided.  The LBMS even if not lined up completely right will still stick to the boss. 

I don't work with waterslides often, so I don't bother with decal set and other such stuff, I just use matte varnish on the shield and then overtop of the transfer.

Offline Gracchus Armisurplus

• Scientist
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2017, 09:47:06 PM »
Ah, I haven't used the battleflag miniatures myself but have used a lot of waterslides in the past and always use microsol/microset to get them to 'melt' into the detail of the model. The LBMS decals are unresponsive to the microsol so take a bit more prep effort to get right in my experience.

Offline Zaheer

• Mad Scientist
Re: My Dark Ages Stuff.....A converted Viking Warlord....Update
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2017, 09:53:16 AM »

Having a bit of fun this morning.

I suddenly want some sweets  ;)

• Bookworm
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2017, 02:52:12 PM »
They are like candy.

• Bookworm
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2017, 01:14:13 PM »
This is the miniature that kicked off everything for me in the Dark Ages, first test mini for what was to come.

This is one of my latest converted plastic vikings:

I also recently painted up this old Foundry viking.  It is interesting when you compare all 3 of these.  The sculpts are pretty good at showing how things progress in miniatures.

And another of the older Gripping Beasts metal vikings with a weapon change out.

Many more pictures on my blog and few on my Facebook page as well, if you are interested.  As always much more to follow.....

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: My Dark Ages Stuff.....Viking Beginnings to Present....Updated 2/25
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2017, 03:16:09 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o

Spectacular looking figures and terrain bases. They are all absolutely top notch!! Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
P.S. Want to help me paint mine (:D)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!