Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:01:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Campaign ideas, mostly stolen...  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Corvus5200

• Assistant
Campaign ideas, mostly stolen...
« on: September 09, 2016, 12:46:51 PM »
I'm getting ready to demo this in my local gaming store.  I have read through a handful of forum posts and the comments on Joe's page about hacking the rules for campaign.  I would love the feedback of some of you that have been playing some of these rules or anything that you see as silly.

1. XP
10 per spell (maybe +10xp for casting each new school per game?)
10 per kill, including monsters, no matter who killed it in your band (bonus for big bad guys?  Skeletons < Frost giants)
50 per treasure
Possible underdog bonus, like a +1.5X for 5+lvl differences

2. Merchants
The main way that the merchants get things for our beleaguered wizards to purchase is from said wizards.  The market will start out with a small pool of magic items and grimoires.  More will be added per game session period (whatever that means...), plus anything sold by other characters.  This is to represent how rare the magic is supposed to be and how desperate these arcane addicts are.  Hopefully this will even out how crazy it can be once the high level guys just start shopping at Spellmart.  PLUS, you might slow down on the times you do Write Grimoire or scroll, since the other nerds will benefit possibly.  I'm still trying to figure out how to determine which spell would be written for scrolls and grimoire, to prevent a clever Trevor from just spamming the market with imp or mud....

3. Alternating soldier phase
I just like it a lot better.  Feels right

4. Optional rules
Random monsters, Crits, wounds

So?  What do you think?  The market will be an extra bit of lifting on my part, but I'll probably just set it up on "The FaceBook", like the kids use.

Offline Gribardson

• Lurker
Re: Campaign ideas, mostly stolen...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 01:23:40 PM »
I like #3 for sure, we do that where we play.

#4 Random monsters and crits seem more required to me. Makes the game more fun! :)

I see what you are doing with #1, and I like it, especially the underdog bonus. Really helps the newer warbands get up to and going, when they first join the campaign. I think we might try that out! Thanks for that idea.

As for #2, if you can handle that amount of bookkeeping, more power to you and I salute you for trying! I love the idea, mind you, but if you have more than a few players it can get kind of crazy.

Offline Corvus5200

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 01:42:28 PM »
Agreed with the "optional rules",  they are auto adds anymore.  Thanks for your input.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 01:49:13 PM »
We made the xp for killing random encounters 20, reduced to 10 if starting health is 6 or less, and 50 for those with 14 and higher. Those values are similar to those given in scenarios, and feel right for the vast majority of creatures I checked. Haven't callibrated them for the new batch from the Breeding Pits though - it may be worth considering altering the numbers for softer ones with nasty special rules.
~Ad finem temporum~