Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:55:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: R.N.A.D. Coulport 5th February 1887  (Read 3187 times)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
R.N.A.D. Coulport 5th February 1887
« on: February 05, 2009, 09:53:23 AM »
Earlier today we got to see a further glimpse of the Mk. III Mechanised Suit “Rompa” as it was subjected to a series of strenuous trials. Firstly, in a repeat of last months appearance at Aldermaston a specially placed Hansom Carriage was obliterated with a single blast of the shoulder mounted cannon. Despite being 440 yards ( ¼ mile ) away in the distance, the “Rompa” decimated the target although only being set to one quarter power!

We then moved onto Loch Long for the days true test. The “Rompa” was submerged to a depth of 20 fathoms and put through its paces under the waves. It is hoped that being able to operate at such magnificent depths will fully prepare the suit for any off world missions for which it may be required and the diverse atmospheric conditions it may encounter.

There have been many advancements and improvements since the Mk. II and therefore, as the training manual is still being written, today we saw Prof. Leighton Cumberland-Smythe at the controls. Cumberland-Smythe heads up the team of eminent scientists involved on the project and had little to say when questioned over the rumours of a four man “Rompa” being in development. We will have to wait and see if anything comes to fruition.

Svennn
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: R.N.A.D. Coulport 5th February 1887
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 10:06:37 AM »
Very nice work!

It could also be used to explore the depths of Loch Ness trying to locate nessie, or that secret prussian base or even to experiment a land attack covered by the sea waves against the continent!

Is it based on some commercial model (s)?

RNAD =??

[not intend to criticize your excellent work, I must discuss a point under science evidence: I cannot understand how the gun is working. I think that even today the propulsion of weapons like topedoes etc is not base on the explosion . it needs some spring [rubber or metal-beware of corrosion or aging] or pneumatic [compressed air] driven mechanism and usually  it should be a harpoon-like weapon. your thoughts?]
argsilverson

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 10:11:03 AM »
Hussah! Three cheers for Professor Leighton Cumberland-Smythe. :)

Splendid job old boy.  :-*Talk us through the conversion would you, there's a good fellow. :)

I really like the little touches like the red leather lining and the guages on the tanks.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 10:16:14 AM by Malamute »
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 11:44:03 AM »
Amazing build.
I take it the gun is supposed to be a compressed air cannon or steam cannon.
Love the leather.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 02:20:37 PM »
Svennn Svennn Svennn! You have surpassed yourself with this one!!   :o 

Tell us more or even better build one for me!!
Don't!

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 03:04:11 PM »
Thank you kindly Gentlemen.

Not much planning on this, I just charged straight in - decided to model and not work yesterday with all the bloody snow.

As I am sure you know it started as a Mak SAF thingy - a plastic prepainted model from Japan. Hobbylink were flogging them off late last year but I have had these for years. The other style in the range is popular for WWWII but I always preferred these.

I chopped/shortened/repositioned the legs and removed a section of the arm again to shorten it. Added a few small pieces of plasticard to represent panels and built the gun from tubing, plasticard/evergreen and a couple of drawing pins. There is another pin on the chest. Then I went mad with the rivets. Thanks to RayRivers for the idea but instead of using metal spears I rolled out thin "snakes" of greenstuff and cut it into discs. I used fatter rolls to make the dials too. The upholstery was putty in an attempt to make it a little more Victoriany and also to help the fit of the pilot. Poirot was the first duplicate I found in the bits box but I wish I had used a more military/trooper type now. My original scheme was going to be off white and navy with submariner insignia but decided the brass would look more in period. The tank is a pen top and the ammo box is plasticard with a few bits of florists wire here and there. Oh and I had to remove quite a bit off the back of the Mak to flatten it and facilitate attaching the tanks etc.

Thunderchicken - if you get a donor I'll gladly do one but you can paint it :)

You all should all know by now I'm a modelling whore who will build anything for anybody for a deal :D

thanks again Svennn

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 09:11:55 PM »
Now this one really looks the part!  :-*

It takes more than rivets to make something VSF. Its always details like the pressure guages that make a model special, but what really makes this one work is the upholstering!

BTW - How did you prime/treat the MaK's surface before painting it? I did a couple of these for WWW2 a few years a go and spent a lot of time gettign the German camo right. I was really p*ssed off when I got them out after a while to find tha tthe oil in the plastic had leached through my paint to gve the whole model a sticky glossy texture.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 05:12:44 AM »
Lovely! What else can I say?

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 09:10:21 AM »
I'll have to join the chorus of approval, Svennn. Excellent work and even though I'm not really convinced by two-legged walkers, models like this one make them more attractive and desirable.

The red leather is gorgeous, as previously noted, so can you tell me which paints you used for it?

I have a couple of Fantasy figures in the production queue that it would suit perfectly  :)

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 09:22:04 AM »
Wow that is just the mutts do da's svenn

evrything about that is perfect, the details and the upholstering very victorian  :-*

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 09:24:58 AM »
Gluteus - thank you

The reds are a triad I made up with various makes of craft paint. It starts with a burgundy followed by a pillarbox and a scarlet. I think what makes it work here is the dark lining in the creases. I use paynes grey watercolour which mixed thick gives a nice warmer alternative to black and then thinned a variety of greys. The bit I really like is if you put it on too thick it can be thinned with a damp brush or hard lines can be feathered out the same way. A bit unconventional but will perhaps give you some ideas.

Svennn

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 09:34:15 AM »
Thanks, it certainly will. I should be able to manage that  :D

Offline Ook

• Bookworm
    • Ook Painting Service
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 10:08:09 AM »
Very nice Svenn  :-*
Le singe est dans l'arbre

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 12:35:17 PM »
Svenn

Fantastic work!

Having been arrested many many years ago by the RN for rowing across their torpedo range at the top of Loch Long (it was quicker than walking around the top of the loch to get to the pub!) I know how sensitive these things are.  Splendid!
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.