Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:47:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689757
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Scud Hunting?  (Read 1646 times)

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
28mm Scud Hunting?
« on: September 10, 2016, 05:28:38 PM »
Hi all, I'm after some advise, comments or suggestions regarding a project that I have in mind to begin.
I've got an Arii 1/48 Al Hussein Scud and Transporter model winging it's way to me and am tempted to do a game based around SAS vs Iraqis.
The help I need with is what figures are available?
I'll use Red Star Dismounted Tank Crew as the Transporter crew and TAG Bergan carrying SAS (is there any other SAS figures out there ?) but I'm stumped for what to use as Iraqis. I'd also like to have a Dessert Patrol Vehicle Land Rover and a Unimog just as set dressing but I can't find any info on available models for those - are there any die casts of suitable scale that I can alter to suit ?
Thanks in advance
Regards

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
Re: 28mm Scud Hunting?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 06:47:30 PM »
There's an immensely useful sticky at the top of the "...from the Cold" board, which lists most of what is available by way of modern military vehicles:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=55752.0

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 07:29:17 PM »
Indeed. Interesting project that i once contemplated myself but i went for da Nam. I'd say .... stick to the SAS from TAG. There are others out there but i feel the ones from TAG are the best. Good luck and let's see some photos. ;-)

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 10:08:26 PM »
Sorry I should have made myself a bit clearer.
I've looked through the sticky lists and am going with TAGs SAS but not a fan of their Iraqi sculpts ( so apart from Mongrels oop Syrian figures and other manufacturers Insurgents is there any alternatives that I've missed ?)
Not come across a model of a 110 Land rover but am aware of the Company B Unimog.
I am in the UK and would prefer to keep to UK manufacturers if possible (WCP are out of stock of the Unimog at the moment so I was wondering if there was any other option that I had again missed from the lists).
Thanks again
Regards

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 01:12:32 PM »
Thanks for that Scurv, I found the Bikes and Quad Bikes on their site but not the Land Rover, do you have a link for it please?
Regards

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 11:19:26 PM »
I've never seen the Eureka landy. You sure it wasn't one of Uncle Les' creations, he occasionally flogs his stuff at the shop. They did make the crew for Company B's G Wagen.

SAS? If you don't like TAG then you could do some minor conversion work to the Eureka Marine Recon. I've backdated a few to 1980s era SF and converted the grenadier to an 80s era SAS trooper. Maybe mix and match with Gripping Beast's Mofo range.

Iraqis? With suitable head swaps, some of the Eureka ZANLA figures make very useful generic OPFOR. Go for the ones with boots and chest rigs. Alternatively, there are always the Eureka/ Kriegspiel Musorians in Soviet helmets. They are hardly my favourite sculpts and yes they they are shorter but based on a slotta base, the size difference isn't really that noticeable and they are very useful proxies for all sorts of things. I use mine as Egyptians and generic African troops.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 10:50:03 AM »
What about Empress are they to modern for you?

What about Gripping beast MOFO they have SAS in ~Bergen's in there range.

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 12:58:35 PM »
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
 I don't have a problem with TAGs SAS - they are the ones I am going to use (the problem was more what to use as Iraqis as I am not a fan of those sculpts). Empress are too modern to depict forces of the 90s and with differences in scale between TAG and Eureka it looks like the project might have to be put on hold for now until somebody makes compatible forces - or I come across some second hand Mongrel miniatures.
Regards

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 05:41:30 PM »
Scale differences? I have both Eureka and TAG figures and weapons aside they are pretty much on par height wise. The Ansell TAG sculpts are  somewhat chunkier and cruder but they mix. I know what you mean about the Seth Nash Iraqis though, they're appalling culpts.