Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:26:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690857
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Armoured train of the Red variety  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
Armoured train of the Red variety
« on: September 14, 2016, 04:24:00 PM »
OK, I admit I am only just starting out on this project, but the figures (Copplestone) are ordered and there will be quite a lot of them. My thoughts are already turning to extras, and I wanted   to see what the options are for armoured trains that could be used on my version of the Trans-Caspian.

So far, I have drawn a blank in the UK.  Company B has some wagons, mostly unarmoured, and it looks as though the heavy stuff has sold out.  My talents, such as they are, don't extend to scratchbuilding or heavy conversion, and I am really looking for a simple resin and metal kit, assuming no one sells a train that only needs paint.

Can some of the BoB veterans tell me what is out there please?

Thanks in anticipation.   

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
Re: Armoured train of the Red variety
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 10:00:00 AM »
A train in MDF?  Who would have thought it?

It looks more WW2 than RCW to me (the StuG and quad flak are giveaways) but it is an option and thanks for posting the link Mr. T, much appreciated.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 11:07:00 AM »
For the Trans-Caspian you really want an unarmoured Ov loco or A class (see my 15mm thread)
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56649.msg978231#msg978231
and
http://www.wd3.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2059
You could like I did convert a Wild West Loco but in a suitable scale for 25/28mm. You are really after a late 1880s to early 1890s look...

N.B; there were NO bridges or tunnels on the TCR so carriages went double-decker.
This was true of the original workmen's trains
http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-98069858/stock-photo-transcaspian-railway-the-scheme-of-railway-wagons-engraving-by-shyubler-published-in-magazine.html
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/trans-caspian-men?sort=mostpopular&excludenudity=true&mediatype=photography&phrase=trans%20caspian%20men
There are accounts by Teague-Jones of railway carriages with improvised MG nests and OPs built on top of the carriage roofs. Lots of box vans and flat wagons with artillery and the main form of armour was cotton bale padding (a looser packed bale than say used on ACW armoured trains which was not altogether MG proof :()
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 01:11:35 PM »
sukhe - Thanks very much for these links. The end results you have achieved are impressive indeed, and I only wish I had your skill with saw, knife and putty but I don't. Sadly for me, your conversion skills are way beyond mine.  If there are no commercially available products which fit the bill, I think I will be in for a long wait to get my train  :'( 

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 01:50:04 PM »
You could try a hand at my 'Transcaspia', which is a converted American ACW vintage choo choo with simple 'toblerone' clad armour panels. There must be a Wild West loco toy or kit out there...

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 07:47:13 PM »
That's a pretty good suggestion thanks.  I have to say Transcaspia certainly looks the part.  :-*

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 09:47:51 PM »
Depending on the depths of your pockets,Company B do a modular armoured train. It's worth trawling through the Railway board for ideas.Its more than possible to make a useable train from cereal packet card(yes I'm back on the cereal packet card models ;D) it my be worth dropping Michi a PM as he's a knack for all things train.
I'd offer to talk you through such a project but thanks to Silent Invader my next train project is a narrow gauge one(however I should have some free time near the end of November if you still need help.)
Mark.

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 10:05:15 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions and offer of help; both much appreciated.  I could be tempted by Company B, but the only UK stockist I know of (Wargames Command Post) is apparently running down its stock, has none left and won't be ordering any more.  To be honest, I don't know whether Company B is in the US or Australia, but I suspect postage and VAT would be a killer.  It may come to that though........ o_o

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 12:28:24 AM »
IIRC these guys stock Company B in UK
http://www.greatescapegames.co.uk/