Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:07:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dark Brown Spray Primer Available?  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Dark Brown Spray Primer Available?
« on: September 13, 2016, 11:19:17 PM »
I am going to paint quite a few native Africans this winter (at least I plan to), starting with Zulu warriors, but probably followed by native bearers, guides, askari, and the likes, and more 'pulpish' forest cannibal tribes...

Well, I would like to know if any company makes a good dark brown primer (which would save me a lot of time base-coating skin), akin to Vallejo Charred Brown/Old GW Scorched Brown, or even darker, please? Preferably available in Europe.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
Re: Dark Brown Spray Primer Available?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 12:01:31 AM »
Vallejo makes a very good reddish brown primer but you need an airbrush. Or a cheap spraygun at least. I believe they have an even darker brown as well.

Montana (available in Belgium  and the Netherlands and probably Germany as well) has a dark brown primer in a spray can but it's horribly thick. Not recommended.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline dbsubashi

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 08:09:16 AM »
Limiting my suggestion to hobby sprays, as they are widely available, you might try looking at Army Painter Chaos Red. Dark reddish brown, more red than brown. But with a dark brown wash on top (GW Agrax Earthshade or Army Painter Dark Tone) it should work.

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 08:30:02 AM »
I am going to paint quite a few native Africans this winter (at least I plan to), starting with Zulu warriors, but probably followed by native bearers, guides, askari, and the likes, and more 'pulpish' forest cannibal tribes...

Well, I would like to know if any company makes a good dark brown primer (which would save me a lot of time base-coating skin), akin to Vallejo Charred Brown/Old GW Scorched Brown, or even darker, please? Preferably available in Europe.
As WillieB said - Vallhejo airbrush is the way to go. I've basecoated my Zulu/Masai in German Grey of Black, followed by a light coat of darkbrown tone of your choice. After that some highlighting of the skin and blocking in the clothes/gear by brush.

I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 01:28:31 PM »
I noticed the comment on the Montana spray paint ranges.

I have used both the black and gold ranges as a primer /undercoat for several armies. The key to using them is to get the right nozzle - as they come in different flow rates. I've used their red and greens for some SYW Russians instead of black and white undercoats and am very pleased with the results.

Huge range of colours and great for metals and plastics, but as they aren't meant for modelling I'd suggest testing first til you get used to the coverage.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 02:02:07 PM »
I noticed the comment on the Montana spray paint ranges.

I have used both the black and gold ranges as a primer /undercoat for several armies. The key to using them is to get the right nozzle - as they come in different flow rates. I've used their red and greens for some SYW Russians instead of black and white undercoats and am very pleased with the results.

Huge range of colours and great for metals and plastics, but as they aren't meant for modelling I'd suggest testing first til you get used to the coverage.

I used Montana grey as a basecoat on some Mantic Deadzone scenery recently. It wasn't the greatest coverage, but the big problem was the smell. I sprayed in the loft, as per usual, but the whole house stank for days.

I probably sprayed longer than usual, given that it was scenery as opposed to just priming figures, but I'd definitely make sure you use them in a well ventilated space (preferably outside), with a decent respirator.

I had hopes of using them for a few things, but the experience has made me reconsider that plan.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 02:17:42 AM »
Thanks!

I shall have a look around at some of those, if I can locate them.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 10:37:28 AM »
I have used Halfords Car Spray Camo Brown for my Zulus

it works really well

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 11:02:40 AM »
Montana is excellent for scenery IMO. It covers well and has zillions of colours. It does stink like hell, so spray outside. Wouldn't spray my figures with it, but for scenery really nice.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 10:27:17 PM »

it works really well

I'll see if somebody carries it a5round here.

I'm really surprised that Army Painter only makes a mid-brown, and no dark variant.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 08:42:09 AM »

it works really well

Agreed; it was my first thought as well!

Not sure how available it is outside the UK though, and it costs about twice as much as their white/grey primers. It *is* also a very dark brown, like a dark burnt umber.

Anyway, there are three colours in that "Camo" range; the green is a bit dark grey-ish but otherwise good, and the tan doesn't cover all that well but is a *fantastic* colour.